Will I enjoy a Boxster?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 07:30 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will I enjoy a Boxster?

Hi all

Just crossing over forums or some advice. I've got a 964C2 and the time is up for changing porsches. I've toyed with various other 911s (993, 996) but can't resist the value of the Boxster S. My only worry is that it may not be much fun after the 964 (which is awesome just hearing the engine during a 3-point-turn!). So...will the Boxster still bring a smile to my face every day?

Cheers for your opinions
Old 10-25-2006, 10:30 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

well there's only one way to tell, you'll have to drive one

the engine and intake being right behind you makes for a great sound, and though I've never heard it myself it was "improved" in 2003 and newer

as far as fun to drive, I've never driven a more fun car, though it's been a long time since I've been in a 964 so I can't give a real comparison

if you want a convertible first then I think it's the car, however I'd not buy a Boxster if I wasn't dead set on a convertible, I'd go with a 993 first then 996 if I were after a coupe
Old 10-25-2006, 11:03 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 812 Likes on 413 Posts

Originally Posted by kusee pee
Hi all

Just crossing over forums or some advice. I've got a 964C2 and the time is up for changing porsches. I've toyed with various other 911s (993, 996) but can't resist the value of the Boxster S. My only worry is that it may not be much fun after the 964 (which is awesome just hearing the engine during a 3-point-turn!). So...will the Boxster still bring a smile to my face every day?

Cheers for your opinions
Keep looking for a 964 Turbo

I have owned both a Boxster S and a 964 Turbo. The S is a far superior street car in terms of comfort and daily driving. Mine had the M030 option, which was just stiff enough to be more fun, but still reasonable for bumpy roads. The turbo is a whole different animal. Visceral and fast. Really, it is too fast for the street. It needs to be on a track where you can be going 140mph at full boost...safely.

So for street, get the boxster. For track use, get the turbo.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:04 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

I have owned my 986S for about 5 months now and I love the car, it's a blast, easily as much fun as my 911. just different.
However, between a 911 and a Boxster... thats personal taste, you need to drive one for sure.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:22 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

My $.02. I've had a 911 for 18 years (the 73 T pictured to the left). I've tried all the newer ones and I've usually found that my need for a 911 fix has always been satisfied by my older 911. The Boxster S was a completely different animal and I love it. I kept trying to push myself into a 993 cab instead. But, each test drive kept me on the Boxster S side.

That said, and given that you commented on the sound of the 911, I should point out some other issues. I loved the look of the Boxster from the second the prototype showed up. From that moment on, I had to have one. But, when it finally came out and I drove it, I was disappointed. The sounds, the interior, the road feel, it just didn't do it for me. Then, when the S came out and I drove that, it made ALL the difference in the world to me. The S isn't leaps and bounds a different car. It was just enough of a difference in the sporting catagory to push me over the line to want one.

But, two more caveats to that. I found that the standard interior was still a bit too plastic for me. But, the full leather interior gave the car the full feel of quality that I love. And, finally, the exhaust. I really liked the sound. The whine seemed to give an F1 sort of feel to it. No doubt it was better than all the other new sports cars out there (S2000, Miata, Z3/4, Audi TT, 350Z, MR2 etc. etc.) But, it still was not what I felt was needed for a real blooded sports car - probably from all my years driving the 911 and my Sunbeam. So, I ended up spending a bit of money and got the 2003 factory Porsche Sport Exhaust (different than the earlier version) and sport catalytic converters. Now it screams like it should (without the resonance that all aftermarket exhausts have).

In the end, I love my Boxster S with full leather and PSE/cats. I'm even finding I'm driving it more often than any of my other cars. And I'm a diehard loud, hard riding sports car nut.

Good luck with your search. Drive as many as possible.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:27 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made the exact change you're contemplating: I had a 1992 C2 for 5 years and now have a 2001 Boxster S. The 964 was definitely a more raw car (in a good way), both in feel and sound. The steering was more communicative and the engine sounded WAAAY better. The Boxster engine is just too quiet, although an aftermarket exhaust would probably help. Either way, I much prefer the sound of the 964 air cooled engine to the Boxster.

BUT...the Boxster's handling is far superior to the 964 IMO. I've autocrossed and tracked my Boxster, and it transitions better, is more tossable, and easier to control at the limit. It's very easy to hang the tail out and hold it there as long as you want, then bring it back in line. I could never do that in my 964. My times are also much better in the Boxster, which has the same performance numbers as my 964. The brakes are about the same, and I actually prefer the brake feel in the 964.

The Boxster rides much better around town, and the A/C and heating system is WAY better. I also love having a convertible (my 964 was a coupe), especially a power top.

The Boxster will also be less expensive to maintain because it's newer and doesn't need valve adjustments. I even have 1.5 years of Porsche CPO warranty left on my car.

Both are great cars though.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:55 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Cheers all, thanks for all the feedback.

Originally posted by 38D
Keep looking for a 964 Turbo
You caught me! I feel guilty for being spotted contemplating a mid-engined car! Always worth considering all the options!
Old 10-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Jersey Dave
Intermediate

I've got a little different story. Bought an '02 Boxster S w/ Aerokit, the exhaust, wheels, M030, etc. A year or so later, got the bug for the 996TT. Was going to sell the Boxster S, but after 2 weeks, kept both. For raw power, the TT was the King, but for ****-eating grins, the Boxster S ruled the nest. Got rid of the 996TT last month after 3 years. Kept the Boxster. It only needed 50 or so more hp, so I'm in the final stages of having a 997 S 3.8L engine put into it with headers, cats, lightweight flywheel, and sport clutch. I think that should get me my 50 hp or so. It'll be the perfect car for life.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:04 PM
Jonny A
Advanced

I have been looking for an older 911, but the prices on the boxsters have also got me thinking about one.

I drove a 2001 boxster today, and it is very different, but way fun. The sound up to redline was great, the car handled great, and the brakes were very solid.

My only concern is, I am used to more cabin room, does anybody find it a problem, do you get used to it.

I plan on driving a S next.

Thanks

Jonny A.

87 BMW 635 csi highly modified.
Looking for a Porsche.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Jersey Dave
Intermediate

Definitely drive the S. If you liked the non-S, you'll fall in love with the S model and not look back.
Old 10-31-2006, 12:19 PM
MikeBat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jonny A
My only concern is, I am used to more cabin room, does anybody find it a problem, do you get used to it.

Jonny A.

87 BMW 635 csi highly modified.
Looking for a Porsche.
Hey Jonny,

I was concerned about space as well, I am 6'2" /210lbs. I was going back and forth in my mind between a 964 and a Boxster S. I drove the 964 (Carrera 2) and found that while I fit, it was a bit claustrafobic. Then I drove the Boxtser S. Much more elbow room.

I bought the Boxster S. Then the wife and I did a little weekend getaway.... the amount of luggage space was incredible. One huge rolling suitcase and about 6 soft bags. My friend recently bought a 997 Carrera 4S Cab, and he told me that that compared to the Boxster, there was zero luggage carrying capability.

Good Luck.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:43 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonny A
Yes. It's a wonderful, intimate feeling. Like a sports car should be.

Other than behind the seats, the Boxster should be the same or bigger than a 911. (..depending on vintage of 911, of course.)
Old 11-09-2006, 06:11 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Boxster is the benchmark for roadsters. I've read it time and time again and it always surprises
me because I find this car a bit too engineered and predictable. Kind of boringly perfect.
When cost is a factor the S2000 is the better car. But at lower 2nd hand prices (and falling due to slumping 987 sales) the BoxsterS is hard to duplicate in many areas.

At the end of the day you have to be a roadster guy.

I could have stepped into a 996 several years before pulling the trigger on the Silver and Red BoxsterS I had always been looking for. But being in a tin top on a gorgeous day was not my scene man. If I drove a car everyday I would 'step down" to lesser handling pendulus C4/s Cab. Too bad they don't make a Boxster4S(with ZERO understeer). But since I don't drive every day and I ocassionaly autocross, the BoxsterS was a no brainer for my weekend wheels.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:10 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
At the end of the day you have to be a roadster guy.

...being in a tin top on a gorgeous day was not my scene man.
Interesting you say that, as lately we've had cold / wet weather and I've been driving with the top up for so long, I started to think "why do I have a convertible?" and even started looking at 996s around the area.

But then yesterday we had a beautiful day, sunny and in the high 60s, so despite my insanely busy work schedule, I took off at 3:30 and went home to get Julie and we had a top down "date" on the town. Oh my god do I love a clear evening in a convertible!!! So good to have that reminder once in a while this time of the year. I should have video taped it so when we're in the heart of winter I can reflect back to why I love my roadster so much!
Old 11-10-2006, 08:51 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Interesting you say that, as lately we've had cold / wet weather and I've been driving with the top up for so long, I started to think "why do I have a convertible?" and even started looking at 996s around the area.

But then yesterday we had a beautiful day, sunny and in the high 60s, so despite my insanely busy work schedule, I took off at 3:30 and went home to get Julie and we had a top down "date" on the town. Oh my god do I love a clear evening in a convertible!!! So good to have that reminder once in a while this time of the year. I should have video taped it so when we're in the heart of winter I can reflect back to why I love my roadster so much!
this is actually my biggest problem with my hardtop, the days are few and far between but I LOVED being able to drive with the top down with snow on the sides of the road last winter, I'm quite sure I'll miss it

Quick Reply: Will I enjoy a Boxster?