Sponsored by:

Tweeters? Hmm....

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 05:45 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tweeters? Hmm....

Well it looks as if the time has come to break the "oem" out of my car. The stereo system sucks and lacks clarity. I'm not too much of a bass guy so the car is fine there. I just want it to be more clear. Im going to change the 4" midrange/drivers in the dash but I have never heard anything from anyone about the .75" tweeters?! Are they simple to change out? Anyone have a recommendation?

For the 4" coaxials I'm considering any MB Quart,Focal and CDT Audio.

Now if its possible to change out the tweeters as well,I'm open to any suggestions.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:15 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

No replies????

My 986 has the upgraded sound system, sounds really sweet….

Wonder what the cost is on upgrading the speakers with original upgraded Porsche speakers???

If there is indeed a difference???
Old 09-14-2006, 04:22 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

I have every option stereo/audio wise except for the DSP. I have the "Hi-Fi" w/ door speakers and the rear speaker kit. Granted it is O.K.,but I heard just changing out the dash ones alone make a GREAT improvement. I still want to add some baffling behind the rear speaker kit to fill the extra space behind the speakers.

Maybe its me,the other car I drive often (98.5 Jetta GT) has Zapco,Eclipse and MB Quart gear in it. Maybe thats why I want more from a car that almost three times as much.

The "Access" line of Focal looks like they may be put in the dash. Anyone used them?
Old 09-15-2006, 02:05 AM
mreric
Advanced

my opinion, but I would start by trashing the head unit. Replacing speakers with better speakers isn't going to gain you as much as it would if you replaced the head unit first I would start there, and then see if you even want new speakers. I junked the factory stereo for a new deck, and was suprised what a difference that made.

just my $.02
Old 09-15-2006, 10:52 AM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Originally Posted by mreric
my opinion, but I would start by trashing the head unit. Replacing speakers with better speakers isn't going to gain you as much as it would if you replaced the head unit first I would start there, and then see if you even want new speakers. I junked the factory stereo for a new deck, and was suprised what a difference that made.

just my $.02
depending on which year he's got this could be a very expensive proposition, if it's a MOST bus car it may not be worth doing
Old 09-15-2006, 09:26 PM
mreric
Advanced

yeah, forgot about that little detail. if it is the newer setup, that would cause a bit more work...

mine is a 2000, pretty cake install, but if it's the fiber optic stuff, that'll be a little trickier...
Old 09-15-2006, 09:33 PM
blinkwatt
Pro

We'll it looks like I have decided on the MB Quart Premium 4" Coaxial Driver. I'm also ordering the custom made speaker brackets. I will post back when done.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:48 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apologize for the late reply, but I used Boston Accoustic 4" mid with separate tweeter in the dash of my 99. I'm at the oposite end of the spectrum from mreric. I have had several vehicles in which I replaced every thing except the head unit. Typically installing amp, sub(s) and speakers. As I have previously mentioned, I had custom enclosures built to hld 8" woofers in each door
Cheers
Randy
Old 09-20-2006, 11:36 PM
mreric
Advanced

AlpharettaRK:

I really want to do the custom door enclosure thing, but was wondering if you wouldn't mind how much they charged you to do it, and if you possibly had pics? the bass in these cars suck. I have tried subs in front trunk, subs in rear, nothing but muffled crap.
THANKS!
Old 09-25-2006, 12:07 AM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Here's the pic...

I think it was a little over $2,000 (5 years ago) for the whole deal, speakers, amp, customer enclosures, Monster cable (whether I need it or not) and Dyna matting doors. Since then I added the Alpine head unit that controls my iPod.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:07 AM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

OK - that didn't work, try this for the pic...

http://forums.rennlist.com/upload/speaker1.jpg
Old 09-25-2006, 04:15 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

Ok just a quick update. Tommorow my CDT Audio 5EX 5.25" Coaxials are arriving and being installed. I will report how much of an improvement the stereo will get from just swapping the doors speakers. I'm waiting for another batch of the custom made dash speaker mounts to come to order some 4" Coaxials for the dash. Has anyone put 5.25" Focal Access speakers in their door panels?

Quick Reply: Tweeters? Hmm....