Sponsored by:

Thinking About Getting First Boxster -- Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Talking Thinking About Getting First Boxster -- Need Advice

Howdy all. New member here. I'm thinking about getting my first Boxster and was looking for a bit of guidance. A little background:

I owned an '89 911 from '94 to 2000. Did the PCA thing -- Road America, Blackhawk Farms -- had fun, but decided to sell her when I realized I had gone from putting 3000 miles a year on to 1000 (it was a 3rd car). Currently I drive a '97 328i, which we've had for 8 1/2 years. My wife got an RX330 two years ago, so that will serve as our traveling car and plush vehicle. That leaves my car to be whatever I want it to be!

I only put about 5000 miles a year on my car, and the 328 is in perfect shape, runs great, is very dependable, and is hardly depreciating. But it's not nearly as much fun as a Boxster. I just test drove a used '06 on Monday, and I must say, I really liked it. It's got me thinking............which can get expensive.

So I joined here and started poking around. The little I've read about older Boxsters, with engines blowing left and right, main rear seal issues, etc., definitely caught my attention. If I want a car that makes me hold my breath reliability wise, I would still have my 540/6....

Is there a good thread that you can point me to that discusses the major issues with certain years of Boxsters, or any advice you can offer? I think if I get one, it would most likely be a used '05 or '06, since they seem to be a step up from earlier versions. I doubt I will pop for an "S" or a new one, since I don't want to spend that much on a 5-6000 mile a year car.

I'm happy to listen to any advice you can offer. Oh, and would a Boxster be ok for light use in the winter here in suburban Chicago? The 911 was a 3rd car, but I don't want to go back to that hassle. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2006, 02:14 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/bu...97-2004boxster

please visit my thread too.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-forum/289789-25k-tell-me-what-to-do.html
Old 08-02-2006, 04:24 PM
98Boxster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go for it.

I've had my 1998 with NO problems, put on over 15,000 in over 3 years. It has been great. I know of people who drive them in the winter (very few), I wouldn't though. Make's Springtime that much more exciting.

Drive a few different ones, older S's and 986's and maybe another 987 to see what you like and maybe the extra $$$ on a new one isn't what you want to do, maybe it is. You can't go wrong with a Boxster! (Ok, Maybe if it's a 1999 built from 10/98 - 4/99) They're great! Put a B&B muffler on it and you will love it 10 fold!
Old 08-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Chiboy
Racer

I just did a LOT of reading. Thanks! I do wonder if I have to rethink the idea of using a Boxster in the winter. I'm hoping that with a hardtop and second set of wheels, I would be fine for the limited driving I need to do (no work commute for instance).
Old 08-02-2006, 07:54 PM
gerry100
Pro

The engine blowing thing is confined to those built from mid98 to mid99 with a sleeved cylinder arrangement that didn't work, I think Porsche backed these up pretty well at the time. I don't know about now.

You can get better info on how to dtermine if a car has one of the suspect motors elsewhere on this site.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:30 PM
986Jim
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The funny thing about forums is guys generally show up when they have a problem. So many of the posts are from guys who are looking for answers because they have problems or questions so the forums are full of the same type of people. 85% with problems and 15% who are answering them (well sorta hahhah) so you read about a lot of horror stories.

Many of the guys who have totally reliable cars in those danger model years never come online or here because everything is just fine. The ratio of cars with problems vs. cars without is lower than the internet would lead you to believe.

Many other cars have the same problems with stuff like this. I have a 98 Eagle Talon, and all Talon / Eclipse guys are worried about crankwalk where the engines fail from wearing thrust bearings. They all show up on the net and think they have crankwalk etc and talk about how 50% of the cars have it so on and so on. Same with the RMS and other failures.

They do exist but are less than really what people will lead you to believe. People will argue with me here but I have been there done that before so thats just my opinion.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:58 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Agreed. I just was saying that to my wife tonight. There seem to be lots of major problems with early Boxsters, which is scaring me off of 987s, but then again those posting are usually the ones with problems.

Anyway, I'm still wondering if this is the right car for me while I'm still living in Chicagoland. Even tho I can just choose to stay out of really bad weather, or just use my wife's RX330, I wonder if it really is the car for me in a northern climate. Once I move to western NC, where the weather is better and the roads are more fun, that will all change.

I have, however gotten myself pretty psyched for a Boxster. Must learn more...
Maybe an '05/'06 with hardtop and second set of wheels would be the ticket. I have the perfect "winter car", a '97 328, but I really, really don't want to go back to 3 cars for 2 people.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:58 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

if you have any remote serious interest in my 2002 S.. please do LMK..

I'll even go down to $39k for quick sale before aug 20th
Old 08-03-2006, 08:45 AM
jbarrow
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Chiboy,

When are you planning to make a move to western NC? When you do you will be very close to Blowing Rock which is the site of the annual Boxster Summit. NC has a lot of great roads. It's Porsche country.

I promised myself I would never buy another new car and suffer the immediate depreciation. But I had to have a Boxster after my wife purchased a Cayman S six months ago. I didn't need a car and I didn't want anything except a Boxster. I drove everything from a '97 with 22k miles to new '06s. In the end I decided that I would be uncomfortable with anything less than a four year manufacturers warranty so I bought new.

We live in Atlanta and don't have winter weather concerns. It sounds like you'll be better off without a Porsche in your current locale due to the snowy winters and not wanting to have three cars. But... Your idea of a hardtop and winter tires is a good one. If you have to drive in snow you might as well enjoy it.

-James
Old 08-03-2006, 10:44 AM
MelissaInNJ
Instructor

I adore my first generation 97. I think it would be too slow for you, especially since you already drove an 06. But wanted to let you know that the older ones are really good too. I put between 16-18K on my car in a year. I drive 80 miles a day in it and it is my daily driver. I drive it all year. Only gets parked for the worst snows. I love it so much. I will keep my dear 97 for awhile, but when she goes...it's another newer one for me!

Melissa
Old 08-03-2006, 10:53 AM
blcdeez
AutoX

Hey Chilboy,

I have a 2000 Boxster that I put 21,000 great miles on it. It is my everyday car and had no problems in the limited snow/slush/ice here in the Washington DC area. If you are interested in purchasing a certified Porsche, you can get the 2 year unlimited mile warranty which I got last May when I purchased mine. I did have to have the rear main seal replaced but since it was covered under warranty, they had be back up and running right away. The only thing I can say is driving to work is much more enjoyable with my Boxster!!!!!!

Happy shopping.
Tim
Old 08-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chiboy
I do wonder if I have to rethink the idea of using a Boxster in the winter. I'm hoping that with a hardtop and second set of wheels, I would be fine for the limited driving I need to do (no work commute for instance).
Stop wondering, you'll be fine. In fact, in anything below 6", you'll love it. Great traction (with winter tires), great balance...you'll be passing SUVs.

Attached Images  
Old 08-04-2006, 11:19 PM
VROOOM
AutoX

Default Go for the "S"

Chiboy,

I live in Buffalo and store my 2001 Boxster S in the winter. Sand and salt would break my heart. However, I have to think that with the mid-engine design and a good set of snow tires, it wouldn't be so bad in the snow. It's amazingly well balanced.

If I may put in my two cents, splurge for the "S". It's only a couple grand more and you'll be happy you went for it - the acceleration, the sound, the brakes -it's all good. I debated the Boxster v. Boxster S before my purchase and knew I'd always have a "What if..." in the back of my head if I didn't go for it.

Enjoy,

VROOOM
Old 08-04-2006, 11:58 PM
Chiboy
Racer

Yer killin' me!

It may happen. I test drove my second Boxster today ('05 base). It was nice and handled real well, but had very few options and seemed a bit spartan.

I sure like them, but they seem to start out pretty expensive and get pretty cheap when the warrantee runs out. This is going to take some thought....

I still haven't driven an "S". I'm almost afraid to like it too much. We'll see. Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:45 AM
akif
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chiboy
I still haven't driven an "S". I'm almost afraid to like it too much. We'll see. Thanks for the thoughts.
I concur. Went through several of your thoughts - although I didn't know about the problems that the earlier ones had. If buying an S is not a real option, IMO don't test-drive it.

I drove/negotiated some old ones from private parties, and Porsche dealers - somehow I'm scared of buying used from non-brand name dealers. My decision was based on price and warranty mostly (old ones, 2-3 years old, are still a good chunk of money , plus I expected to spend more on maintenance for 4+ years old ).

Also, the new 987 (base) has about (or is it more) HP than the older Boxster S. So, the first decision was buy new, and not old.

Coming to that decision, the next decision to make was, base vs. S, and what options to get.

First I drove a base, then an S, then put the car in Sports mode, and then turned PASM on. Each time, the difference was very pronounced - and to say it casually, "me likey" . Final decision was, do I want to spend money to get what I want (need really), or not.

I knew that once the initial excitement wore off, I'd be constantly wondering "what if". Needless to say, I got a 987S with Sports Chrono and PASM - and threw in PCM (navigation) just to complete the list of my must-have options.

Of course, I had my other car for 10 1/2 years - though am planning to sell at some time soon. If things go well with the 987S, I'll probably drive it for a long time.

Finally, remember - the decision you make will be the right one for you at this current time

Quick Reply: Thinking About Getting First Boxster -- Need Advice