Sponsored by:

Thinking About Getting First Boxster -- Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 02:28 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Boxster really is pretty free of any major issues
you work for a dealership!? ;-) serious, your forum members don't seem to agree with you:
Originally Posted by cdodkin
Out of 5 close Boxster owning friends, with cars from 97-2000, we've had 4 new engines.
The most recent was last year on the 98, which was way out of warranty of course.
Porsche paid for the block, owner paid for labor
the labor on the engine replacement is still 1000s of $s, and i am sure getting porsche to pony up for the engine was not easy (it must have involved a lot of headache and hastle). while i realize this is at best anecdotal evidence, i doubt you could get any group of s2000 owners who were friends and find that 4/5 of them needed new engines. how can engine replacement not be a major issue? i hear where you are coming from: you love your car. i feel the same way about my 993 (and it has problems as bad as the boxster!), but i only need one high maintenance car in the garage. i was hoping to get something easy and fun...boxster sounds (and looks) like a lot of fun, but i am not sure about the easy part...which is too bad. i am dissapointed with porsche in general as i now realize there isn't a new porsche i would buy, and i probably wouldn't have gotten my car if i had known what a hastle it was going to be (although now that i have sunk $15k into it, it runs v well). rant over :-)
Old 08-10-2006, 02:41 PM
Boxsterund914
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a MY 2000S. I bought the car as a lease turn in with 31K miles. I drive it hard ALL the time. There have been no mechanical issues at all. The floor got wet once and I had some electrical issues because of that but nothing mechanical at all. I have put 30K hard miles on it. It is a daily driver that I keep outside and uncovered. It looks good, it's tight and has been absolutely the most problem free car I have ever owned. I think that it is probably the best performance car bargain available today.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:36 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mborkow
you work for a dealership!? ;-) serious, your forum members don't seem to agree with you:

...i doubt you could get any group of s2000 owners who were friends and find that 4/5 of them needed new engines.
Because one person says this doesn't make it an epidemic.

I'd argue that peson is very much the exception and not the rule. Of all the Boxster owners I know personally (probably in the neighborhood of 15 or so), I don't know of any that had a major mechanical problem, let alone an engine replacement. Does 15 trump 4? And the couple incidents I've seen mentioned here were limited to 98 - 99MY (again, I've never seen this first hand) but if I were in the market, I wouldn't look at anything older than a '00 S anyway. Go over to www.ppbb.com and ask the question as well. I doubt you'd get 4 responses from people that have replaced engines there as well. I'd be willing to say that far and away most forum members will attest to the solid reliability of this car.

As for the S2K, ask how many people with early model S2K's had to replace transmissions (transmission/engine...we'd both probably agree neither are inexpensive).

Also keep in mind, people tend to post more so when they have issues, not to say everything is going well.

Just my $.0213245 ($.02 + interest)

p.s. and yes, I love my car!

Last edited by J-RAD; 08-10-2006 at 04:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking About Getting First Boxster -- Need Advice