Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Clutch Question

Anyone know if the engine has to be removed to do the clutch on these cars? I'm looking at Boxsters and want to know what I can do myself maintenance wise (including clutch and water pump)

Thanks.

Old 07-06-2006, 02:21 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can drop the tranny without bringing the engine down, but I think I remember reading that it is easier to bring both down and seperate them on the floor

i just remembered that I read this in a 3.6 upgrade thread, so um... not quite the same scenario

Last edited by stumpjumper; 07-06-2006 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:41 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

No, leave the engine in the car. The tranny comes out pretty easily. About an 6-8 hour job taking your time. Contrary to popular belief, the dual mass flywheel can be resurfaced, but you will need a machine shop with a surface grinder (your local auto store will not be able to resurface this one). A local shop does them for us for about 60 bucks. I have a blog of doing an RMS seal on a boxster with some pictures of the tranny coming out....You spend more time dropping the exhaust than you do pulling the tranny.

http://www.turbo911.com/showthread.php?t=220
Old 07-06-2006, 02:42 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

No need to drop the engine at all. It's a relatively easy clutch job since the whole tranny box drops out and you do the clutch work on a bench. You need to have an upper engine support that spans the engine bay and holds the engine from the top, but that should be the only expensive special tool.
Old 07-06-2006, 02:44 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by deliriousga
No need to drop the engine at all. It's a relatively easy clutch job since the whole tranny box drops out and you do the clutch work on a bench. You need to have an upper engine support that spans the engine bay and holds the engine from the top, but that should be the only expensive special tool.
eh?

You can't do any of the clutch work on a bench, it is bolted to the engine just as any flywheel/clutch assembly. Also, you can support from the bottom with a jack (just don't use the oil pan to do so. There is a spot on the case half.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:41 PM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
No, leave the engine in the car. The tranny comes out pretty easily. About an 6-8 hour job taking your time. Contrary to popular belief, the dual mass flywheel can be resurfaced, but you will need a machine shop with a surface grinder (your local auto store will not be able to resurface this one). A local shop does them for us for about 60 bucks. I have a blog of doing an RMS seal on a boxster with some pictures of the tranny coming out....You spend more time dropping the exhaust than you do pulling the tranny.

http://www.turbo911.com/showthread.php?t=220
Doc, nice summary and pics of the tranny R/R. Do you have any recommendations for a stronger clutch/PP over the "baby" stock one? I am not impressed with the stock one at all. I have put in clutches like the CenterForce Dual Friction II (?) in other cars and loved them. My guess is the Sach's "sport" clutch is only mildy better than stock. I was looking at the Spec clutches (stage 2+ or 3+), but I've also read a few people having problems with them. This would be for an early 986S 6-speed with mods and R-compounds. Thanks for any recommendations.
Old 07-07-2006, 05:36 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
eh?

You can't do any of the clutch work on a bench, it is bolted to the engine just as any flywheel/clutch assembly. Also, you can support from the bottom with a jack (just don't use the oil pan to do so. There is a spot on the case half.
That's not how it sounded in the manual. The way it was explained, it sounded like when the tranny came out the clutch pack was part of that. Thanks for the pics and info. I'm going to have to do this soon so that should help a lot.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:12 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by deliriousga
That's not how it sounded in the manual. The way it was explained, it sounded like when the tranny came out the clutch pack was part of that. Thanks for the pics and info. I'm going to have to do this soon so that should help a lot.
If you have any additional q's when you are doing it, just give me a shout
Old 07-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm still debating whether or not a Boxster would be better than a 968. Prices in CA are almost the same between an early Boxster and 968. I have the WSMs for a 968, but not a Boxster.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:35 PM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheStig
I'm still debating whether or not a Boxster would be better than a 968. Prices in CA are almost the same between an early Boxster and 968. I have the WSMs for a 968, but not a Boxster.

LINK

Quick Reply: Clutch Question