possible Clutch problems?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 07:19 PM
TheNinj
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible Clutch problems?

Hey there,

I've had My 03 986 S for only about two weeks now (bought from a Non OPC garage) And it's great. However, I'm having a couple of issues with the clutch.

The problem is that It seems to be dragging a little. When I set off in first and depress the clutch to change into second I get an annoying judder. It's best described as a thud really. Sounds feels like the clutch isn't disengaging properly out of first gear.

Also I've noticed a few times that When I change down into second from third in town (low revs, and sometime from up from first) sometimes the gear lever just pops out of second! It's happened to me more than couple of times now and it's really annoying. At first I thought it might just be that I'm not depressing the clutch pedal fully to it but now I'm aware of it I am.

Has anyone else had this problem, if so what did it turn out to be?

Does this sound like a worn out clutch or something else?

Cheers

Andy
Old 05-16-2006, 07:36 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Shifter popping out of 2nd gear is a known transmission issue with the boxster and 996's. As far as the thud goes, possibly the dual mass flywheel coming apart. How many miles are on the car?
Old 05-17-2006, 05:40 AM
TheNinj
6th Gear

Car has 23k on it. It's a 2003 boxster S.

You say it's a Known problem with transmission? Whats known about it? Exactly what is the problem and how is it fixed?

Cheers

A
Old 05-17-2006, 06:13 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

Could the "judder" possible be your shifting,no offense? I notice my car has a vibration or a "judder" when getting out of first when I throw my foot on the clutch as fast as possible to stop the car(kids down the street play basketball alot). Other then that I dont notice any weird or unknown "judders". Does it happen all the time? Not to scare you or anything but flywheels are expensive on Porsches,if that is the case.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:18 AM
TheNinj
6th Gear

It could be my shifting I guess but if it is then in order to stop it happening I would have to keep my foot down on the gas and slowly press the clutch until is is disengaged leaving the gas down until this is done. Even then is is sometimes juddery!

BTW the garage I bought it from said that the car has had a new clutch only a few months ago so I would not think it it a problem with the clutch. More likely some type of linkage thing.

I'm more worried about It popping out of second.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:35 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Search the forum for the tranny popping out... If I remember correctly, this was fixed by Porsche under warranty and involved a new transmission.

On the juddering/thud if it had a new clutch fitted recently then, most likely, they did not replace the flywheel... could have needed to be resurfaced or, as PorscheDoc mentions, possibly the dual mass flywheel is coming apart...
Old 05-17-2006, 10:52 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

IIRC there is a TSB out that checks the play of the dual mass flywheel. If it was not checked, or the flywheel was not turned, those are 2 good possibilities. The transaxle is repaired by replacing it. If the car is out of warranty and you can deal with the occasional popping out, then I would live with it. I have a customer with a TT in the shop right now, if you are decelerating in 2nd gear (foot off the gas, letting the car slow you down), the tranny will pop out of 2nd. Replacement tranny is about 7k from Porsche for the TT, and is probably fairly similar for the boxster.
Old 05-17-2006, 12:07 PM
TheNinj
6th Gear

It never pops out of gear on the overrun at all, actually the term "popping out" is technically incorrect in my case! It actually probably never goes into gear in the first place. I've had cars that have had dodgy transmissions and they do pop out of gear sometimes, especially on the overrun, but this feels different. Like the gearstick won't always reach second, and just gets pushed out like it would if you were lazy with the shifter and only half put it in gear before you lifted the clutch.

hmmm...
Old 05-17-2006, 12:57 PM
mreric
Advanced

mine does that too (with the going into second) I'll think it's in, but it'll pop out occasionally when I try and go from first to second, and I just revv the engine instead of moving at all... I've just dealt with it and kind of forgot about it. If it's a big deal, than maybe I should take it in? I doubt it's anything.

My philosophy: if it runs, and drives, drive it until it stops. that way you are SURE it needed some work... Probably not the best way to look at things.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:33 PM
TheNinj
6th Gear

Hehe, yeah, that may be the best philosophy

I'm sure it's nothing big really but when you look on the forums you see all these possible explanations and you fear the worst!

Anyway, it's going back to the garage on Friday so they can sort it out, whatever it is!

Quick Reply: possible Clutch problems?