Boxster Stereo...bleh!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Boxster Stereo...bleh!

Im sure this is no shock to you Boxster owners but I think the Stereo blows!
The FM reception is awfull.. sound is not great with CD
My Car has the rear speakers, DSP Digital sound/Amp
What have you guys done to improve?
Do I ditch the DSP?? New headunit?

I am not an audiophile and to be honest I am happy with engine music! But now and than I like some tunes and I need to get XM in there asap.

Thanks
Old 04-12-2006, 10:37 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Your 01 Boxster is an analog (copper wire) based infotainment system.
Upgrades to MY01, 02 9x6's have been described in all of the relevant forums ( 996, 986, 996TT)

Any good car audio install shop can answer your questions and install a high quality system, new headunit/NAV/DVDplayer/iPod/etc..........the choices are almost limitless.
You can always retain the stock components and have them if you sell the car, just include them for the next owner.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:12 PM
ljd-924SE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was a bit of an audiophile for a while, and there are two schools of thought when it comes to audio in a convertible:
1- don't spend a bunch of money because it won't sound good at speed anyway.
2- spend a bunch of money so you can hear great sounding music when you're cruising with the top down.

i'll never forget the install my buddy's shop did on a miata that was a complete waste of $3000, but just the other day i heard an S2000 with a simple aftermarket system that sounded absolutely incredible and only cost the guy $1700. he purchased equipment online and did install himself. just take your time selecting a shop.

if your interested in a do-it-yourself system, i'd be more than happy to make recommendations, as i've been doing quite a bit of research in anticipation of my soon-to-purchase 986S and seen some pretty clever installs in 986/996 cars.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:33 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

OK, here is one question, can I just replace the head unit and retain the DSP, Stock amps and speakers. I will deal with the crappy sound and just be happy with XM intergrated to the head unit and a decent FM tuner.

Thanks.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:39 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Would you happen to have a particular manufactures and set of part numbers for the O1 Boxster S with rear speakers that you would recommend? May up grade them first.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:54 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Turboflyer
Would you happen to have a particular manufactures and set of part numbers for the O1 Boxster S with rear speakers that you would recommend? May up grade them first.
I have the factory rear speakers that came with the "Hifi" package.
Cant say I recommend

LINK TO SPEAKER KIT
Old 04-13-2006, 01:49 AM
Turboflyer
Pro

That is the factory speakers. At least I think that is what they are showing. I thought we were talking upgades.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:59 AM
ljd-924SE
Racer

turbo - unless you're upgrading the power supply to the rears as well, just find a set of decent 3.5" coaxials. pioneer, jl audio, alpine . . . don't spend more than $50 a pair, and there's not a huge difference in sound quality at this level between manufacturers.

marc - if you like DSP, this adapter may be exactly what you need, but i'm not sure how easy they are to get a hold of . . . Blaupunkt PC9-408 . . . i've never tried to integrate systems like this, but you may have to use a blaupunkt head unit as well.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:12 AM
cspeed
5th Gear

Default Boxster audio upgrades......I'll try to make it short.

I by no means am a audiophile, but I like good sounding systems in my vehicles. My previous system was a Alpine system with all Boston speakers in my Toyota PU. It rocked for a very long time. Know I'm about to pull it out. Primarily because I listen to NPR when I'm in my truck. In my Boxster I was given all my equipment from JL Audio except the head unit. The company I work for did some SEMA vehicles and they in turn gave us what ever we wanted. Trust me, I worked for every component and I am very appreciative also. Very cool!

While working on site at JL in Florida,they just happened to have a Boxsterin the R&D dept. The guys told me that the Boxster was one of the worst cars in terms of cabin accoustics (top up or down) due to the location of the speakers and the fact that the space is so confined. The dash speakers are in your face, the door speakers are on the floor and anything behind the seat is distorted by the engine sound and wind interference. When the top is up, the sound is hollow and resonates. They were in the process of fabricating new door panels, custom dash for mid/tweeter re-location, and a sub enclosure that would replace the storage compartment. In the end, they decided it wasn't worth it and cancelled the project.

The tech guys did advice me that it would sound great with the equipment that they were recommending installed in the stock locations and believe me, it does. It rocks! But in the final analysis, I rarely listen to it cranked. I would rather listen the mechanical wail of the engine while ralling on the twisties.

If I were to do it again and I had to pay for the equipment and the install. I would not spend a bunch of money. I would do a nice head unit, amp, and some decent speakers for the dash and door like the guy with the S2000 and do it myself. I don't even think I would spend $1700. But that's just my opinion.

Sorry for the long explanation. Carlos
Old 04-13-2006, 12:20 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree that all of the factory options stink. Just like with engines thers "no replacement for displacement" if you want to move the air and have good bass. I had custom enclosures built in each door to hold 8" JL subs and replaced the dash speakers with Boston Accoustics units. The enclosures are covered with factory carpet that maches what originally covered the lower half of the doors. They stick out maybe 2" farther and are not at all in the way (except maybe for at the track when I would brace my left leg against the speaker in the driver's door!). Non-Poschephiles never guess that it is an aftermarket setup. It's all powered by a 140WPC amp, with the subs on the rear channels and the dash speakers on the front channel. The result is a system that you can hear and is clear in any condition, top up or down. It worked great with the factory head unit until I got iPod-ed and then I upgraded to one of the Alpine units that controls the iPod while it rest in the center console. If when I get another Boxster (or Cayman) I will probably order it without a radio and get the job done right to start.

Cheers
Randy
Old 04-13-2006, 02:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
OK, here is one question, can I just replace the head unit and retain the DSP, Stock amps and speakers. I will deal with the crappy sound and just be happy with XM intergrated to the head unit and a decent FM tuner.
Thanks.
Yes.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ltc
Yes.
Is there a wiring harness I can purchase? I have not seen one online
Old 04-13-2006, 03:43 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Crutchfield maybe....otherwise your Porsche dealer/service manuals or any good stereo installer can figure them out.
IIRC, this has been done/discussed before, so maybe a search will find it as well.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:55 PM
cspeed
5th Gear

Default audio stuff

I was supplied a harness from JL and I believe is a generic harness that works in the Boxster. Check out their website.

Randy, I too considered installing subs in my door panels which is a good option. JL tech guys were going to create 2 set ups. One with the subs in the doors and the other in the center stoage console. I chose to go with custom glass enclosures behind my seat, which are GT3's. They sound great, but I can't move my seat back all the way. Not a big deal since my seat position I use is forward enough not to interfere with the subs. I may change to a custom enclosure similar to the JL design in between the seats using the storage compartment. I run a Alpine head unit, I pod, a set of JL 5.25/tweeter in dash, 6.25 mid in door and 2 8" subs in enclosures with JL 450/4 amp mounted in the front trunk. Overall the system sounds good, it needs to be tuned for sure. My biggest complaint is the dash speakers are so loud and in your face. Minor tuning would remedy this I'm sure.

Carlos
Old 04-14-2006, 09:14 AM
First986NJ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...now WHY would you want to drown out that BEAUTIFULL engine sound......?

.....Thats Porsche music ! Turn the music OFF. Drive the **** out of the car...and listen to the music.

Quick Reply: Boxster Stereo...bleh!