Sponsored by:

Bad Wheel Bearing - ahhh the sound of silence

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Wheel Bearing - ahhh the sound of silence

I didn't realize how bad it had gotten. It slowly creeps up on you, and you slowly put the radio up a notch and you buy a louder PSE exhaust (well, I did but not because of that ). Then, you start thinking it's your tires. But, the PS2s didn't make it go away - or did it? And, you spend a few months trying to tell yourself the $2,000 worth of tires did make it get better. Then you finally come up to your 30k service and decide to say something to them. Yep, bad driver's side rear wheel bearing.

Wow, it was an amazing feeling from the LACK of sound and vibration. I had no idea. It's pouring out and cars are sliding all over the place, yet I still took a longer route to work today because of how nice the difference was! No, the car is not supposed to sound like a truck!
Old 04-04-2006, 11:49 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

I have a speed dependent noise I believe to be a front wheel out of balance... what does a bad wheel bearing sound like and what was the bill?
Old 04-21-2006, 05:09 AM
enjoytheride
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, 'gone' wheel bearings are absolutely dreadful, especially if you try to live with it for awhile. If you have an unusual noise (wheel bearings tend to be a sort of grinding/moaning sound), on a road that allows such a maneuver, swirve left and right, if the noise seems to get louder when swirving one direction, and gets quieter going the other, then you know which is the problem side. If it gets louder when going left, then whatever 'it' is, is on the right side, because when you turn left, the right side suspension/tires/bearings become loaded as the weight shifts to that side. The opposite is true when swirving Right......
Old 04-21-2006, 10:25 AM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

hmmm... I'll listen for it when turning... what I am hearing is a speed dependent oscillation, similar to a wheel out of balance, part of the sound definitely has that hollow tire noise. Most noticeable between 15 mph to 60 mph, seems to go away when cruising on the hwy at 70 mph and above.
Shortly after I noticed the sound I did have the wheels dynamically balanced, I didn’t really think that would cure the noise, but it was the fastest and cheapest thing to try first.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:30 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

Originally Posted by enjoytheride
Yes, 'gone' wheel bearings are absolutely dreadful, especially if you try to live with it for awhile. If you have an unusual noise (wheel bearings tend to be a sort of grinding/moaning sound), on a road that allows such a maneuver, swirve left and right, if the noise seems to get louder when swirving one direction, and gets quieter going the other, then you know which is the problem side. If it gets louder when going left, then whatever 'it' is, is on the right side, because when you turn left, the right side suspension/tires/bearings become loaded as the weight shifts to that side. The opposite is true when swirving Right......
I agree with you 100%. However, I have to say that I had previously tried just that with my car and I could hear no difference. Yet, there is no doubt that it was the left rear. So, if you do it, and you don't hear a difference, you can't assume that it's not a wheel bearing. And also, on the sound, on mine, it sounded more like I was driving a truck-like vehicle with noisy tires.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:44 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Anyone know why a wheel bearing (rear in my case) goes prematurely? I think mine's shot. I have 56K; is this normal? What should I expect in cost? Taking to the dealer on Monday. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:28 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Most if not all wheel bearings are sealed. That means the lubrication is finite and not readily servicable. It can be done with a special lubrication tool. The seals do a great job of keeping the grease in and contimanits out, but not bullet proof. Then there are times when the metal either in the race or bearings just fails or wears prematurely. Most folks dont keep there cars long enough for it to be a concern. Just as an aside, I was told for the sake of definition that a lifetime component e.g., seal never needs servicing, means appx. 100,000 miles, at which point the manufacturer expects it will be replaced. Hey, I had a friend once that had 150,000 miles on a honda. No big deal right. Well he never changed the oil once and it still ran. Of course the rockers were worn down into the rocker arm shafts to the point of just about cutting through. Point is service is important. Life time componets are not all they are cracked up to be.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:26 PM
VWaddict
Burning Brakes

Kabel,

When I went to pick up my 951 the other week, I went in an '03 Boxster S. -I thought I heard a wheel bearing going bad, and I commented on it to the driver who took me there. He told me that he had one replaced already, and that he hadn't noticed the noise, but once I keyed him into it, he said he'd take it in to be looked at.

The noise is a sort of a "once heard, never forgotten" type of thing, but hard to describe... -You want me to take a listen to yours one day this week? -It's a good excuse to go for a drive!

Keef
Old 05-02-2006, 01:20 AM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I have lost all 4 wheel bearings at various times, will never forget the sound

(Imagine a Apache helicopter flying at 10:00 inline with your car)
Old 05-02-2006, 01:22 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

Originally Posted by VWaddict
-You want me to take a listen to yours one day this week? -It's a good excuse to go for a drive!
Yes - indeed, I'll call you this week. Will be good to have a second ear/opinion on the matter.

Quick Reply: Bad Wheel Bearing - ahhh the sound of silence