Sponsored by:

Need recommendation for chip

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2006, 12:04 AM
VROOOM
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need recommendation for chip

I am looking forward to taking my 2001 Boxster S out of winter storage. Tis year I would like to add a performance upgrade, such as a "powerchip."

Any advice on a good manufactuer or any experience with these would be much appreciated.

I am unsure whether or not I would also do an intake/outflow upgrade as well. Does it make sense to do the chip and not the intake/outflow? Any recommendations on packages?

Thanks,

VROOOM
Old 03-12-2006, 03:03 AM
arenared
Burning Brakes

Still researching, myself, but PowerChip looks like a scam. GIAC and Revo seem to be credible. The GIAC seems to be far more common. The GIAC seems to be tuned for at least the EVO air intake mod. The EVO intake has fantastic sound, but debatable/marginal power gains. Mufflers also have debatable/marginal power gains. Headers/cats seem to have pretty universal positive comments and power gains. One look at the factory ones and you'll see why. Everything for Porsches is a ripoff, but in order of safe bets for HP, I would probably rank them: headers, chip, cats, EVO intake, muffler. That's about it and will set you back $5K. Cams are probably even higher in HP gains, but they are not bolt-on so very limited experience out there. Be sure you wholly ignore any performance gains quoted by the manufacturers/vendors as the numbers seem to come solely from marketing/finance before the products are even developed. Look here and other boards for actual numbers. I have only changed my muffler, so all the above is a processed regurgitation of information/posts I've been collecting over the years whenever somebody posts a dyno, etc. Good luck!
Old 03-12-2006, 02:05 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I usually like to see people start off with an intake (evo) and an exhaust (typically dansk) first. Once you have more air coming in, and going out, then flash the ecu so it can maximize the extra air flow. With the boxster, the dollar spent per horsepower gained is pretty high, and nothing you do is going to greatly increase the power....unless you go the supercharger route. Typically the muffler, intake, chip will get you about 25-30hp and about the same torque. The 3.2 runs about 2500 in parts for that setup. You can also add the seconday cat bypasses for another 500 bucks which will give you another 9hp or so. As well, you shave off about 15lbs of weight, not that it is a big deal. If you want to talk about it, give me a shout at the shop some day. 913-310-9927.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:21 AM
Rotten Robby
Racer

My experience with the same parts as the Doc was just discussing was consistent. I got 24hp on a 113 degree day with the EVO intake, a Dansk Sport muffler, and a UniChip. I just sold both the intake and exhaust and will be selling the chip and car soon. (Cayman coming)
Rob
Old 03-13-2006, 09:41 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Check out the EVO website, they offer a ECU flash service. I can't speak from experience but when I spoke to their tech guy about the intake I just bought, I asked him about their ECU service. Some of the chips out there disable the knock sensor and hard code the spark advance based on the octaine you will be running. According to EVO, their reprogram is smarter than that and still utalizes the knock sensor so you do not have to worry about pre detonation. The guy said they generally move the spark advance in sooner, or something like that. Might have beena sales pitch but....YMMV

I too want a chip / flash for 2000 boxster, but want the best for the $ so I am in no rush just to buy whatever is on sale....

Tom
Old 03-13-2006, 11:22 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by originalmotorhead
Check out the EVO website, they offer a ECU flash service. I can't speak from experience but when I spoke to their tech guy about the intake I just bought, I asked him about their ECU service. Some of the chips out there disable the knock sensor and hard code the spark advance based on the octaine you will be running. According to EVO, their reprogram is smarter than that and still utalizes the knock sensor so you do not have to worry about pre detonation. The guy said they generally move the spark advance in sooner, or something like that. Might have beena sales pitch but....YMMV

I too want a chip / flash for 2000 boxster, but want the best for the $ so I am in no rush just to buy whatever is on sale....

Tom
Evo uses the GIAC programming as well.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:59 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like Blue Chips.
Sunoco's share price has doubled in the last 52 weeks. Too many Porsche guys filling them tanks with high test.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:42 PM
VROOOM
AutoX

Lots of good advice. I, too, read about Powerchip and I remain unimpressed. The evo, chip, exhaust appears to be a good bet. I am wary to bypass the cat as NY is beginning to perform emissions testing (chances of passing without the cat?).

Oringinalmotorhead - great info about the knock sensor.

Doc - thanks for the info they use the GIAC programming. You will hearing from me. Supercharging is probably a bit much at this time, would prefer to wait for a drop-top Cayman before large $$$ layout.

arenared - I'll stick to basics and steer away from the cams/headers.

Any idea when Porsche will drop the "larger" engines into this mid-engined platform better able to handle the power than the rear engine platform? Good physics always beats out fancy electronic regulation for stability and control.
Old 03-15-2006, 08:44 PM
lowside67
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by VROOOM
Doc - thanks for the info they use the GIAC programming. You will hearing from me. Supercharging is probably a bit much at this time, would prefer to wait for a drop-top Cayman before large $$$ layout.

arenared - I'll stick to basics and steer away from the cams/headers.

Any idea when Porsche will drop the "larger" engines into this mid-engined platform better able to handle the power than the rear engine platform? Good physics always beats out fancy electronic regulation for stability and control.
I don't think it would be a good idea to hold your breath for that - the 911 has been their pride and joy for 40 years now, and it would be a terrible blow to the marque to drop the 911. The "911" will never move mid engine, and Porsche will never build a "lesser" car able to beat their flagship. I think it'll be a cold day in hell before a 911 motor goes in a lighter, more nimble, Cayman from the factory.

The drop-top Cayman you speak of is here already, it is the Boxster. Someday the S may use the 3.4L that the Cayman S uses, but I don't believe it's slated for next year, so it may still be awhile yet. Best to get yourself a 3.2 987 S!
Old 03-16-2006, 09:36 PM
originalmotorhead
Burning Brakes

Hey PorscheDoc,
Where can I get a set of the secondairy cat bypass pipes at ? The Dealer ?

Tom
Old 03-16-2006, 11:31 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by originalmotorhead
Hey PorscheDoc,
Where can I get a set of the secondairy cat bypass pipes at ? The Dealer ?

Tom
Fabspeed carries the 2000+ boxster and boxster S. If you are interested in a set, give me a shout at the shop in the morning, I will see what kind of price i can dig up from them....
Old 03-17-2006, 06:23 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

Originally Posted by lowside67
The drop-top Cayman you speak of is here already, it is the Boxster.
The Boxster and Cayman are two different types(roadster and coupe) of cars,how can you compare them? Its like comparing a z3 and m coupe.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:27 PM
stumpjumper
Drifting

Originally Posted by blinkwatt
The Boxster and Cayman are two different types(roadster and coupe) of cars,how can you compare them? Its like comparing a z3 and m coupe.
how can you NOT compare them?

Quick Reply: Need recommendation for chip