Sponsored by:

Radar Detector in Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2005, 12:11 AM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Radar Detector in Virginia

Got a Valentine 1 for xmas with the concealed display. I am driving to Florida in January and will have to go through the state of Virginia where Radar Detectors are illegal. Any one who uses detectors in Va? How/where do you mount it so its not visible to the athorities? If it appears to be turned of but hanging on a visor mount will they leave you alone? Thanks in advance for any advice on this.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:06 AM
Mike Navarro
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might consider one of two methods:

Either take down and put away the Valentine 1 when driving through Virginia (the best method and you don't risk confiscation of a $400.00 toy), or the other is purchase a really cheap off brand unit and if you are getting pulled over, pull the Valentine 1 off the dash and put the cheap unit up there before you pull over, that way they get the cheap one and you keep the V1.

My V1 saved me twice tonight from getting pulled. It really is a great device.

Mike
Old 12-27-2005, 11:59 AM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

just unplug it. Its not illegal to own. Its illegal to use. THey also have radar detector detectors and in Maryland they use cesnas airplanes to clock your speed and then they radio down to the partrol car which car is speeding. I'd play it safe and drive 65.
Old 12-27-2005, 01:33 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is my understanding that displaying a radar detector in VA is same as using it (plugged in or not).

Not knowing better, I drove right into VA without taking down my BEL. I was caught for speeding by radar. The officer asked for the detector, took it back to his car (to test it?) then returned it to me and told me to put it away. Based on that experience, I don't think they confiscate them.

I got the double whammy: tickets for speeding and radar detector.

The problem with concealing the V1 (so it is not within sight) is you will lose range and confine it to just forward detection. Forward traffic will definately interfere. A cheap detector (like BEL) will only tell you when you get caught - then you get the ticket for both speeding and detector.

Take the advice above: drive slow in VA and leave the detector in the glove box.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:01 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

I have the concealed display which I understand will disable the display on the detector. When radar detectors where fist outlawed in VA. I placed a plastic green sun shade that clipped to the visor in front of the detector which was on a visor clip and never had a problem driving in VA. then. I am not worried about the detection devices they use since the V1 is supposed to do well at being stealth. I am worried about visual detection. Average traffic speed on 95 can be over 80 south of Washington and a Porsche is bait so it would be less stressful to drive through VA with the detector doing its job.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:11 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsche bait? LOL
my V1 picked up lazer the other night several times. I hit the brakes to play it safe as everyone passed me by giving me funny looks. Part of me wanted to share the wealth and point to my V1.
THe last time the V1 gave me repeated lazer warnings I spotted the trooper in my mirror back about 6 cars. He sped past me and pinched a guy in a beamer not five minutes later.
those funny BMW M3 colors are better bait than Arctic Silver.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:07 AM
GrFa
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove through VA every once and a while and usually take down my V1. It isn't really worth losing it for a ticket, so I would say decide how often you drive down and whether or not it is worth it. I had a concealed display in my M3 mounted down in the sunglass holder with the detector very stealthily mounted in the headliner. I did it just for the cool factor really because detectors are legal in all of New England which is where I drive most of the time. The detection and range went down dramatically to the point of it not being worth using mounted up that high. The windshield is really the best play for it to be. One thing I wouldn't mind figuring out is a better mount, the suction cups always just fall off.

Another thing I have heard is that in VA the way they catch you with a radar detector is not with a "radar detector detector" but when they hit you with radar and you hit the brakes. So even if you do have it completely hidden, they will still try to nab you for something. What I do is put the V1 in the glovebox and try not to exceed 75mph.

Also, I am not usually driving any real eye candy. I hardly ever drive our euro spec 911 cab, usually I am in a silver BMW sedan (had an M3/4, now a 5). If anyone has some great ideas about radar detecors though I would love to hear them.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:29 AM
bgrabner
Burning Brakes

They do use radar detector detectors in VA, just not all the time. They also confiscate the detector, again, just not all the time. I imagine you are going to take I-95, which while the most direct is also the most heavily trafficked, hence more troopers on the road.

I also would not risk having the detector on - I have lived here for 2 years and have had my detector shelved since then (unfortunately - VA has more revenue collectors per sq. mile than any state in the nation I believe, at least in Northern VA). On 95, if you keep it under 75 and stay alert and mid pack you will be fine. For the most part, unless its end of the month and there are quotas to meet, the state troopers are on the lookout for the speeders doing 20 over or more as that is considered a felony offence in the state. You won't necessarily get hauled to jail, but the state gets a lot more $$$ out of you, which is primarily the point of speed enforcement in the state it appears.

If you still want to use it, go to Costco and pick up one of their cheap-o detectors and have that at hand - that way if you do have to give the detector up you won't lost that V-1.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2006, 10:02 PM
Brian_77_3.6
Racer

Have decided to take the V1 down when going through VA. Just have to watch the speed and stay with the pack. Might add an hour total to the trip but not worth loosing the V1. Thanks for the advice guys.

Quick Reply: Radar Detector in Virginia