Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about purchasing Boxster with 80K miles - advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Gary Gaukler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about purchasing Boxster with 80K miles - advice?

I am thinking about buying a 2001 Boxster S. The car seems to be in decent shape, but it has 80K miles on the body. The engine was replaced with a remanufactured one 8000 miles ago, at which time also the clutch was replaced.

Just trying to get some opinions - What other things should I be concerned about at that mileage? What about the suspension? Would it likely need to be replaced soon?

I currently own a 1986 944 turbo, and the car has developed some annoying squeaks and rattles. Are Boxsters prone to develop rattles as well, or is the build quality much better than on the 944 models?

Thanks for any advice!

Gary
Old 11-27-2005, 02:37 AM
blinkwatt
Pro

A 944 and Boxster are completely different vehicles and should not be compared for a list of reasons,944s are much older then Boxsters,944 are front engine Boxsters are mid engine,Boxsters are made of a much higher quality. Any car that is older will have rattles and such,unless you Dynamat everything. My 99 Boxster with 52k on it has a couple of small rattles(the sun visor used to bounce up and down till I velcroed it,and the windscreen rattles some but you can not hear it when the top is down.) Have the car inspected by a Porsche dealership or certified mechanic before you purchase. Make sure it is up to date with maintainence and check ups. MAKE SURE YOU AT LEAST HAVE THE RECEIPTS FOR THE ENGINE AND CLUTCH REPLACEMENT. Good Luck!
Old 11-27-2005, 12:16 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You didn't list a price, but for the right price that sounds like a great car. Sure the car has 80,000 miles. However, the engine and clutch only have 8,000 miles. That's great!!
Old 11-27-2005, 07:43 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

check under the carpet behind both seats. If passenger side has been wet, no biggie, but if drivr side then I'd stay away. They have a tendency to get stopped up and overflow rain water into the cabin. The electronics are under the driver seat. Pull the carpet up and look for signs, don't just feel around.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:53 PM
Gary Gaukler
Racer

Thanks for all your advice - I ended up buying the car. Very happy with it so far, a big improvement over my 951!

When I test drove the car, it had a very ugly steering wheel vibration between 55 and 75 mph, and a couple of sqeaks and rattles coming from the doors and the top meachanism. I had the seller put on two new front tires, and it completely transformed the car - no more vibrations, no more rattles...

These cars are absolutely amazing!

Gary
Old 11-30-2005, 05:30 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one with 142,000 miles and counting. The only rattles & squeeks I get are in the top, and that is only when riding over very rough road. Other than that, the car is quiet as a mouse...

Congrats on the purchase, and good luck..

BTW, what color is it???
Old 12-01-2005, 03:19 PM
Gary Gaukler
Racer

Originally Posted by Cajun
BTW, what color is it???
It's Arctic Silver with black top and black interior
Old 12-01-2005, 03:57 PM
Cajun
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very Nice.

Congrats again...

Quick Reply: Thinking about purchasing Boxster with 80K miles - advice?