Sponsored by:

Noise up front

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 05:17 PM
clifforza
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Noise up front

Greetings Rennlisters. My wife and I just purchased a 2000 BoxsterS Tiptronic. Our first Porsche! Lurking the boards was a big help in knowing what to look for. Thank you all for that. I'm noticing a noise coming from the right front. It's a buzzing or resonance type of sound. Maybe a fan type noise? It seems to become more pronounced after it's been driven for a while and seems to be more or less specific to a certain throttle position. Anyone have any thoughts on what it might be? Thanks again in advance. Cliff
Old 10-25-2005, 05:05 AM
DHL LMP2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same model and have had the same problem since I bought it a few months ago. I wonder if there is a Service Bulletin about this. I just started researching this again this morning after hitting a deadend before. I've been told it may be a stuck "fuel tank vent purge valve", whatever that is. Can anyone help?

Thanks, Joe
Old 10-25-2005, 12:09 PM
Jay Laifman
Pro

I don't know if this applies. But, there have been comments that if the hood is mounted up too high in the front relative to the front bumper/nose piece, there is a whistling noise.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:24 PM
DHL LMP2
Track Day

Originally Posted by Jay Laifman
I don't know if this applies. But, there have been comments that if the hood is mounted up too high in the front relative to the front bumper/nose piece, there is a whistling noise.
The problem Cliff and I are experiencing can be shut off by blipping the throttle. I think I'm getting closer to the solution. Check out pelicanparts.com in the Boxster Haven forum. Look for the thread "fuel tank purge valve". I got a diagram there showing a bleeder valve near the fuel filler neck which may be causing the noise. I haven't had a chance to see it on the car yet. I let you know what I find.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:34 PM
clifforza
Intermediate

Sounds like you may be on to something Joe. That is definately the area the noise is coming from. Let me know how you make out. Otherwise I'm going in for service next Wed (having the headlights aimed) and I'll ask aout it. Thanks, Cliff
Old 10-25-2005, 09:43 PM
deliriousga
Three Wheelin'

One way you can see if it's the fan is to have someone else in the car with it running and the fans going. You stand in front and have them turn the car off. When the fans turn off, they'll make a short bearing noise when they wind down, but it's hard to hear from inside the car.

I hope it ends up being an easy fix for you.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:52 PM
DHL LMP2
Track Day

Originally Posted by clifforza
Sounds like you may be on to something Joe. That is definately the area the noise is coming from. Let me know how you make out. Otherwise I'm going in for service next Wed (having the headlights aimed) and I'll ask aout it. Thanks, Cliff
Hi Cliff. I just got back to my computer and my Boxster today [thursday] so haven't learned any more. What did the service guy tell you? Thanks, Joe.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:11 PM
clifforza
Intermediate

Just got back from the shop (11/2). They aparently had heard about the noise once before. There is a vent line that leads from the bleeder valve at the top of the gas tank filler neck. Last time, that vent line was half plugged with mud from daubbers, causing the valve to not be able to close all the way. They cleaned mine out good and so far that seems to have helped. I'll be monitoring the situation and will let everyone know how it works out. Cliff

Quick Reply: Noise up front