Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much kickback from shifter is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 10:15 PM
fletch
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much kickback from shifter is normal?

I installed the B&M a few months back and I love it...but I do notice more kick back from shifter (especially between 1st to 2nd). I was told by the dealer that this is normal becuse of the engine shifting under acceleration. Does this sound correct. I know you are not supposed to have your hand on the shifter after ....
Old 12-30-2004, 11:26 AM
95 GPW 993
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Fletch - I've had my B&M on the Boxster for about 7 mos., and haven't had the problem you're describing. The only "complaint" I have about it is that I have to make a somewhat conscious effort when downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, lest I shift into 4th by mistake. Otherwise it's been trouble-free and a terrific upgrade.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:14 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had all my 9X6 cars kick out of 2nd gear once or twice. just accepted it as a rare occurence ,and now i make sure the car is in gear by using more force to shift..
Old 12-31-2004, 03:22 PM
fletch
Advanced

It doesn't kick out of gear...just moves back slightly, hard to describe.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:07 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your powertrain unit is mounted to the car with 3 rubber bushings. You shift via cables to the transmission. The shift **** will move a bit as you go on and off the gass pedal.

Has nothing to do with a short shift unit.
Old 01-01-2005, 07:38 PM
fletch
Advanced

Thanks, Jeff. I was thinking maybe one of my rod links was incorrectly adjusted but it seems this is just one of those "unwanted features" that bug me. I have fifficulty not being a pefectionist. Someday I want to attend one of your "work on your Boxster days", last time I really missed out with the whole flywheel, brakes, muffler thing going on.
Do you support/promote any Boxster clubs? I plan to donate to RennTech soon. You have been helpful over there and here....and flat6, and ppbb, and...
Old 06-24-2005, 11:31 PM
Merlinus
1st Gear

Default I hate the kickback as well...

I have an 03 Boxster and the kickback is very noticable when I'm 2nd and go on and off the gas. I just made an appointment to have it serviced cause I was sure it was a defect. Now ToolPants says it's "working as designed". I really hate the sloppy feel (my type-A opinion). Is there nothing that can be done to make the kickback go away? I never noticed this in other cars. Maybe I just wasn't as picky with the others cause I didn't shell out $50K to drive them

Merlinus
Old 06-25-2005, 01:03 AM
jmporsche944
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Merlinus
I never noticed this in other cars. Maybe I just wasn't as picky with the others cause I didn't shell out $50K to drive them

Merlinus
My dads 350z does the same thing, its probably normal/ nothing to worry about.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:12 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it normal? Not in my book. In the past 40 years I had two cars with kick back and it always annoyed the **** out of me. I have to believe it is due to some linkage abnormality or parts/gears exceeding tolerance.

My first car, a 65 Imapala SS had three on the column (bought it during the Summer of Love...yeah, I'm an ol' goat!). There was no kickback until I had a Hurst shifter put in on the floor... so?... LINKAGE!

I believe kickback means the either the gears do not align properly due to poor linkage assembly or they are not manufactured accurately. Since there are plenty of Boxsters that don't have this problem, I'm guessing it is a linkage assembly glitch. FWIW, my Boxster is rock solid in all gears. YMMV.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:17 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happens in pretty much every boxster I have every driven (hundreds). The transmission under accel/deccel is moving slightly which causes the cables to slightly shift.

Quick Reply: How much kickback from shifter is normal?