Tires for Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2004, 12:47 PM
tommyscanner
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tires for Boxster S

Hi All,

I'm a new member. I have an '02 blk/blk Boxster S that needs new tires. I got 12000 miles out of the original PZeros. I worry about hydroplaning the most. I totalled my last Porsche in the rain. I have 225/40 18" in the front & 265/35 18" in the back on TechArt Formulas with 10.5" wide in the back. The guy at Tire Rack recommended Kumhos. On the rainy freeways in L.A., I'd give up a little performance for safer tires. I don't want to find myself driving 40 MPH in the slow lane on the freeway when it's pouring.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-08-2004, 12:02 AM
cliang
Instructor

Bridgestone S-03's seem to be pretty popular. I've also heard good things about the Toyo T1-S's
Old 10-08-2004, 12:59 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very happy w/ the wet performance of my 's-03's'... & i know exactly what you're talking about scarry tires on l.a. freeways... had conti-sports on my 'my00' 986 & also p-zero rosso's which both did not perform even close to the 's-03's'. my two cents...

Last edited by 24FPS; 10-08-2004 at 03:08 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:24 AM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how bout the all weather michelin pilot sports
Old 10-11-2004, 09:13 AM
turbopop
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wore my Pzero's out in 20,000 on my 01 Boxster and recently replaced the with the new design BFG G-force KDW. (Tirerack calls them KDW 2 ) They are unbelievable. Hands down the best tires I have had yet on any of my cars.
I temporarily had a set of Yokahama AVS Sports on the Boxster and between the 3 sets of tires, the BFG G-forces are noticeably superior. I have not had an opportunity to use them in the rain yet, but according to Tirerack's ratings, they are supposed to be very good in the wet as well. The ride and noise levels are better than the Pzeros as well.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:18 PM
Huff
4th Gear

I have Kumhos on my "S" and have driven just over 3,500 miles on them. I am pretty happy with them. I have tested them in wet and dry conditions if you know what I mean. (I have been up to 125) The biggest down side I expect is the tread ware compared to higher grade tires. They also take quite a bit of time for them to warm up espically in cooler temperature.

Please know that I do not have much to compare with because I bought this car used and had to replace the tires right out of the first turn.

Huff
Old 10-16-2004, 11:50 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Hey Turbopop..I have the AVS Sports, second set in rear. Great street tire in the wet and dry for the price. I was looking at the BFG G-force KDW 2. Keep us posted on how the car performs in the rain. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:21 AM
tommyscanner
Track Day

Yo AutobahnNY, How's that EVO intake doing for you? I've been considering it for my 02 S. Do you truly feel the difference. What did you pay for parts & install? Your factory warranty not effected?

BTW, I put Pzeros on the rear only. The fronts are ok. Let's see what happens when it rains here in L.A. this week. I'll either stay with them or drive my Explorer while the replacement tires come in.

T
Old 10-17-2004, 07:05 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

Hey Tommy. Ive always been a fan of the EVO intake, the sound alone is worth the money. I must say the MAF went after two years (with the EVO), but the MAF is known to go with the OEM intake as well. I do feel a difference, there seems to be a change in the torque curve. Throttle respond is nice on a cool day. I broke a vacuum line while installing the EVO, dealer took care of it on good will, other wise, no problem. But remember all dealer are different in their decision to cover warranty. By the way, PZERos suck, IMO. I took them off around 8k, I didn't like the feel.
Old 10-17-2004, 01:37 PM
Chupa
Track Day

Keep in mind that although a larger contact patch from wider (and lower aspect ratio) tires is what you want for more grip when dry, it does increase your tendency to hydroplane once there is enough water on the ground. There's a reason Porsche specs 205 & 255 on the BoxsterS. Perhaps you should consider going back to your stock configuration with narrower tires. Believe me, I drive in Houston which has WAY more rain than LA ... best Porsche I've ever driven in the rain ... '89 944 with 215s.

Quick Reply: Tires for Boxster S