Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I left the front-engine faith...

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 06:59 PM
saphriel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I left the front-engine faith...

...and joined the mid-engined cult!

I've owned this car exactly 3 days, and I swear I've never had such a fine appreciation for turns, curves and hairpins until now. This car is amazing and the handling is near telepathic. It isn't as powerless as some folk make it out to be (it's a humble '98 2.5L), and I LOVE the sound of that high revving engine. This car is light and its agility seems endless, I'm constantly learning and exploring what it can do! This car will turn me into a track junkie in short order.

Sadly, I've said goodbye to my trusty and beautiful 928.

But, hellooooooo Boxster!

-Joe

P.S. Here are a few pics I took today:

Old 07-03-2004, 07:58 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to the faith! It's true when we say you have to really drive them to understand. ...even your "lowly" 2.5

to many years of happy ownership!
Old 07-03-2004, 10:48 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,253 Posts
Default Re: I left the front-engine faith...

Originally posted by saphriel
Sadly, I've said goodbye to my trusty and beautiful 928.

You are now less of a man (or woman)

You will now drive sideways and be thinking:

"I could still be having a V8"

Old 07-03-2004, 10:55 PM
tuk_928
Burning Brakes

Joe,
Good luck with the new PCar. The Boxster S is growing on me...but if I ever added one to my stable...would probably not get rid of my 928. We'll see. Tonight I checked out a 2000 MY at the local BMW dealership in Palm Harbor, FL...it was up on a display stand so I was able to crawl around underneath it and see how it was "put together" I was impressed by the attention given to aerodynamics / air flow. One thing mystifies me about this model...NO top access to the engine bay. Are they THAT reliable? Guess you'll have to let us know Joe.

Best,
Tim
Old 07-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Jim_H
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Re: I left the front-engine faith...

Originally posted by Hacker-Pschorr
You are now less of a man (or woman)

You will now drive sideways and be thinking:

"I could still be having a V8"

Old 07-04-2004, 12:24 AM
saphriel
Instructor

Doug, thanks! I've always wanted a roadster and a Porsche (and now I have both).

Hacker, hey! You're talking to a shark driver here too, you know . Right now I can only afford to keep one Porsche (because I can only keep one parking space here in Vancouver, BC). Interestingly, I once DID go sideways..in the 928 (gotta love that torque).

Tim, the Boxster and the 928 are certainly very very different. One thing that the Boxster doesn't have is the huge reserves of torque, especially at the low end...this was difficult to get used to at first, trust me...however, the high-revving engine of the Boxster suits its personality (and the power IS there, just higher up the tach). Very few cars would overtake me in the 928. On the other hand, the agility that the Boxster has is amazing, and I can do crazy things in that car that I wouldn't be able to do in my 928.
I guess the best thing is to have both (which sadly, I can't do just yet)!

Re: reliability... well, to be honest, I don't think the Boxster is any less reliable than any other Porsche. As for engine accessibility, conspirancy theories aside (i.e. regarding Porsche dealer servicing), I think it is designed the way it is, because there simply is no room in the car to make the engine accessible. Remember, that folding roof has to go somewhere. The upside of all this is that I get two trunks. The downside is that I can't work on the engine myself (which is fine, since I'm not a wrench).

I can't wait to take this thing on the track!

Last edited by saphriel; 07-04-2004 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:08 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Should I get into this?? I have a 928 and a 914/6. Two different personalities. Like all 911 engines, torque doesn't come on until 3000 + but if you keep it spinning it stays lively. The 928 also seems to come on strongly around 3000, but can drop to 1400 and pick right up again. Can't do that in a 911 engined car very easily. The 914 is a go kart. Crisp, sharp and light. The 928 is a high speed GT and not at its best in urban environments. The 914/6 and the 944 are like the original Porsches beginning with the 356s. The 928 is a different breed. Effortless and comfortable. The 914 asks to be driven but can bite back. The 928 is forgiving and mannerly. I guess I needed my white hair before I would have appreciated the 928, as I spent years not looking at them. Then I drove one. I still lust for my 914 though, as I did for my Speedster and hours of Highway 1 down to Big Sur or in the mountain twisties. The 928 is at home on Highway 5 through southern Oregon and Mt. Shasta in the rain at triple digit speeds. Poised and competent listening to classical music and wondering how much longer we must tolerate this immature nonsense of unrealistic speed limits as it slips through curvy wet roads at 120mph+, no other cars on that road daring to keep up. The 914/6 has no need for a radio as the engine noise (beautiful) drowns it out. The rain drips into the car on my leg and who cares; carry a towel and keep smiling. But watch out because it can get away from you in an instant.

I haven't driven a Boxter yet; I would opt for the Ruf Boxster with the 3400 engine. But all are valid Porsches, in my opinion. And Porsches are like no other car on the road with which I am familiar.

Old 07-04-2004, 03:50 AM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Old 07-04-2004, 04:49 AM
saphriel
Instructor

Hi Ron,
My 928 was also an 86.5 like yours.
She was draped in Meteor Metallic:

The next time I acquire another front-engine Porsche it'll either be a 968 or a 928 GTS
Old 07-04-2004, 02:04 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome, Joe! You can actually access the Boxster engine from the top. The procedure is mostly painless and takes about 5 minutes. Once open, you can access the primary belt, air filter, etc.

Spark plugs are changed by removing the rear wheels and going underneath the wells.

Oil changes are a cinch, and the brakes are said to be among the easiest to maintain.

The point being, you can actualy do a lot of work on your Boxster yourself if you are so inclined. I doubt they're harder to work on than a 928.
Old 07-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Turboflyer
Pro

Be careful at least for awhile. They stick like glue but when they un-stick your in for a wide eyed surprise. I drove my S quite awhile and up and down some real crazy mountain roads. I was sure that baby just wouldnt break ground. I learned by the OH s... methoyd of conditioned response that it too has limits, be they elivated beyond most mortal cars. FWIW. Love it when the little beamers try to catch me
Old 07-05-2004, 02:58 AM
Ron_H
928 Barrister
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Saphriel:

Small world. My '86.5 is also meteor metallic w/ greyish green interior.

Quick Reply: I left the front-engine faith...