Sponsored by:

NOT Porsche coolant!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2024, 04:11 PM
Tbob
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOT Porsche coolant!

I’ve had my 2003 Boxster about a year and it has performed well. I just discovered that the coolant in the car is green. I was expecting the Porsche pink. I’ve not had any problems. I’d like to continue with it. Found a few forum discussions of this, but they are from a long time ago, and none addressed the possibility of using only standard coolant.

Might this be a Porsche compatible coolant that is green?
If this is the glycol coolant, will it cause damage?

thanks

Pic for attention!
Old 05-21-2024, 12:15 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

The following users liked this post:
enorab (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 03:44 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

I have a relative that worked for one of the manufacturers. When I referred to coolant type by color he corrected me. The color does not determine the type. Yes, Porsche factory fill is pink. I drained green coolant when I changed my water pump and radiators, and replaced it with pink zerex. If ou are worried, dump whats in it, and add what you want.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:06 PM
Tbob
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
I have a relative that worked for one of the manufacturers. When I referred to coolant type by color he corrected me. The color does not determine the type. Yes, Porsche factory fill is pink. I drained green coolant when I changed my water pump and radiators, and replaced it with pink zerex. If ou are worried, dump whats in it, and add what you want.
great info! I’ve been doing some self-educating on coolant types since I posted. I learned that my vintage of Porsche used OAT coolant. I also learned (maybe!) that OAT coolant could be green (or orange - confusing). Also learned that the type of water used (distilled) and the cleanliness of the system is just as important as the type of coolant.

What type of coolant is pink Zerex? Looks like it’s OAT?

at any rate, I’m going to flush and refill with all new so I know what I’ve got. Just ordered a vacuum filler.

Last edited by Tbob; 05-21-2024 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 09:21 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

I watched Ben Burner's video that I posted earlier (it had been awhile) and I continue to feel very comfortable with using a quality third party coolant ie: Prestone.
With the money I save I buy genuine Porsche brand air. After all more air goes through your engine than coolant. The genuine Porsche brand air should also be used in your tires for a softer ride and more responsive handling.

... I hope nobody takes the above seriously.

Last edited by elgy; 05-22-2024 at 05:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Scott O'Connor (06-21-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 09:44 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by elgy
I watched Ben Burner's video that I posted earlier (it had been awhile) and I continue to feel very comfortable with using a quality third party coolant ie: Prestone.
With the money I save I buy genuine Porsche brand air. After all more are goes through your engine than coolant. The genuine Porsche brand air should also be used in your tires for a softer ride and more responsive handling.

... I hope nobody takes the above seriously.
Where can one purchase the P air? Does it come in bags or cans. Thanks.
Old 05-22-2024, 11:02 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Tbob, I said pink Zerex because I dont remember the rest. I have some for the 968 when I start that project - hopefully sooner than later.
Old 05-22-2024, 05:22 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Starter986
Where can one purchase the P air? Does it come in bags or cans. Thanks.
No it comes in big compressed air cylinders. They also sell a special frame, like a roll bar, that allows you to install the cylinders above the roof. The alternative is to tow a small trailer for the cylinders (best to always have 2 in case you run out). Other than the weight of the mounting frame, the weight of the cylinders, the weight of the air and the work of exchanging the cylinders there is no down side to doing this.

Last edited by elgy; 06-20-2024 at 09:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Scott O'Connor (06-21-2024)
Old 05-22-2024, 05:55 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by elgy
No it comes in big compressed air cylinders. They also sell a special frame, like a roll bar, that allows you to install the cylinders above the roof. The alternative is to tow a small trailer for the cylinders (best two alway have 2 incase you run out). Other than the weight of the mounting frame, the weight of the cylinders, the weight of the air and the work of exchanging the cylinders there is no down side to doing this.
Like Lucas replacement wiring harness smoke you have to be careful not to get the cheap imitation.
https://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html
Lucas denies having invented darkness. But they still claim "sudden, unexpected darkness."

Lucas--inventor of the first intermittent wiper.

Lucas--inventor of the self-dimming headlamp.

The three-position Lucas switch--DIM, FLICKER and OFF. The other three switch settings--SMOKE, SMOLDER and IGNITE.

The original anti-theft devices--Lucas Electric products.

"I've had a Lucas pacemaker for years and have never experienced any prob...

Did you hear about the Lucas powered torpedo? It sank.

It's not true that Lucas, in 1947, tried to get Parliament to repeal Ohm's Law. They withdrew their efforts when they met too much resistance.
Did you hear the one about the guy that peeked into a Land Rover and asked the owner "How can you tell one switch from another at night, since they all look the same?" "He replied, it doesn't matter which one you use, nothing happens!"

Why do the English drink warm beer? Lucas makes the refrigerators.
​​​​​​​
Alexander Graham Bell invented the Telephone.
Thomas Edison invented the Light Bulb.
Joseph Lucas invented the Short Circuit.

Recommended procedure before taking on a repair of Lucas equipment: check the position of the stars, kill a chicken and walk three times sunwise around your car chanting: "Oh mighty Prince of Darkness protect your unworthy servant."
Old 06-20-2024, 03:39 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

My 2001 Boxster S came with green coolant when I purchased it used from a Porsche dealer in Chicago in June 2009..... It's been in there since....
Old 06-20-2024, 07:28 AM
tcora
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Like Lucas replacement wiring harness smoke you have to be careful not to get the cheap imitation.
https://www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html
Lord Lucas’ deathbed words “Don’t drive in the dark”.
Old 06-20-2024, 05:24 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Vic911N
That’s the best
Curious to see the independent data you have to back that up.

Quick Reply: NOT Porsche coolant!