Sponsored by:

Hose Clamp Tools

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 12:31 AM
AeroStress
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Hose Clamp Tools

I have never liked dealing with the spring hose clamps and ran across them in some tight spots recently on the Cayenne. I figured I would do the Cayman AOS soon and saw there was one that was difficult to get to, so I wanted to try get some different tools and just reporting some options here.

1 - ETOOLL 9pcs Wire Long Reach Hose Clamp Pliers: I have never had any success with this tool. I rank it an F based on by on my experience.

2 - ETOOLL 9pcs Wire Long Reach Hose Clamp Pliers: This is OK, but sometimes it doesn't grab on well. And even then, you still need clearance to both grab the clamp and squeeze it (so it has to be opened up and you need room for your hands). I rank it a C based on experience.

3 - Basically the same as 2, but the tips are a bit different. If you can get the right one for the job, its decent enough for most jobs...but I still don't care for them that much.

4 - Performance Tool W80667 Angled Hose Clamp Pliers. These grab the clamp very well and lock on solidly. But out of the box, they won't get that last click to fully close the clamp and lock it in place. It looks like I may need to grind the tips down a bit if I want to do that (maybe about 0.08"). Kind of disappointing in that regard, but I think these may be better options than 1 and 2 in practice (not sure yet).

5 - Performance Tool W80659 Multi-Angle Hose Clamp. Basically same as 4 (just a straight version).

6 - QYXINC Super Clamp with 1/4 and 3/8 Thread for Photography,Camera Monitor, LED Light. The idea here is to use it for a tight space. You slip it on then tighten it. This one is really nice and I think overall the most promise for many applications. But it has a downside. I had hoped to replace the handle with a screw so I could tighten it with a ratchet (in the event that access was an issue). But its quite odd and while I was able to find something that kind of worked (its metric), it seems to have a different thread on one side versus the other (I cut it apart). But I think the handle could be cut off and a slot could be cut in the end with a dremel if it came to that. No experience in practice, but this is my favorite of all the options. I think the tips could also be cut up a bit to grab the clamp a bit better in the event that it is slipping.

7 - TRUXEDO 1112514 Lo Pro Alum Clamp - This is probably my second most favorite for a tight spot. It has good tips with serrations and a bolt to squeeze it down. The tips could also be cut up a bit if you want them to really grab the clamp hooks, but I am not sure that would be necessary.

8 - 2Pcs C-Clamp 304 Stainless Steel G-Clamp Tiger Clamp - This one is interesting. It already has a hole a little "cup" to grab the tips of the clamp and keep it from slipping out. I guess I will have to see in practice how it does, but I think it would work quite well....but the the position that it grabs may not be that great for some sizes of clamps. So maybe it works good for some but not others.

9 - WORKPRO 5-Piece CR-V Locking Pliers Set - The idea here is that you just need to slip a bit of it on the clamp and then can tighten it down with the allen screw on the back of the wrench. This means you don't have to grab it and squeeze it down in one shot (you have some flexibility since it can be a 2 step process if needed). I think there are better options, but this seems OK too. The tips seem like they could easily be cut to add some grooves to catch the clamp tips.

10 - AA-Racks P-AC-05 Truck Cap/Camper Shell Mounting Clamp fit Chevy Silverado Sierra. I don't see much of a point for this one...but maybe there is a large clamp that it would be good for. But usually the large clamps have decent access and options 4 or 5 may be better for those.

Anyway...just some ideas. I can report back when I do the AOS. There is also a stubborn little connector that I will try with options 6 and 7 for the Cayenne (you have to squeeze it in an awkward position and I think one of those will do the trick - with some modified tips). Hopefully this will put a rest the aggravation that these hose clamps can be sometimes.

The following users liked this post:
fazm (12-17-2023)
Old 12-17-2023, 09:20 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 968 Likes on 647 Posts

I personally prefer the spring clamps. They provide constant pressure regardless of temperature and expansion.

I have the three tools on top left of your photo. I use the straight one 99% of the time. The angled one often doesn’t work for some reason it lacks grip power. I use the cable one on occasion for tight spaces it works fine.

I never need to use pliers or vice grips for these clamps. I’ve always been able to do all the clamps with either the straight tool or the cable one.

Last edited by Nickshu; 12-17-2023 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-17-2023, 11:31 AM
mistertate
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

[QUOTE=Nickshu;19170445]I personally prefer the spring clamps. They provide constant pressure regardless of temperature and expansion.
[\QUOTE]

at super low temperatures the constant pressure clamps are the only way to avoid leaks
Old 12-17-2023, 06:01 PM
tcora
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I personally prefer the spring clamps. They provide constant pressure regardless of temperature and expansion.

I have the three tools on top left of your photo. I use the straight one 99% of the time. The angled one often doesn’t work for some reason it lacks grip power. I use the cable one on occasion for tight spaces it works fine.

I never need to use pliers or vice grips for these clamps. I’ve always been able to do all the clamps with either the straight tool or the cable one.
Yah. I have the cable tool and it works like a champ.
Old 12-18-2023, 09:05 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I can appreciate the theoretical advantages of the spring hose clamps, but I hate dealing with those things.

Anyway, I have used the cable tool for removing them before, but for reinstalling, the best way I found was to squeeze them fully open and tie-them open with safety wire, then position them in place on a hose, and cut the safety wire to let them spring closed. They should have designed these things with some kind of built in toggle or screw clamping device.
Old 12-22-2023, 04:51 PM
AeroStress
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

I think most of my challenges have been on the Cayenne..I just posted it here because I saw on a video it could be difficult to access on the AOS. I tried the one with the wire in "free space". For me at least, it doesn't actually open the clamp all the way when snapped on (though that could done with a zip tie on the handle to close it further). But my main issue you then have to wiggle the clamp off. During my test, and type of "wiggling load" could cause it to slip off the grip (its not serrated or anything). If that happens, you may find yourself in a worse position than before (its happen to me) since those things can pop into any random rotational position and it may be hard to start it again. In general, they cause me problems about 10-20% of the time (80% OK with the basic tools)...but when you get to that 10-20% it can really muck things up. I recently had to the alternator in my Cayenne and it happens to be a water cooled one. Those things really fought me...so I wanted to be better prepared next time.
Old 12-22-2023, 05:54 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

When I did the AOS I bought the clamp with the pieces you snap off. Once I had the clamp where I wanted it, I gave it a twist. much easier that the alternatives. I bought the pliers set from Amazon for about $30. Decent enough quality for me to do the water pump, thermostat, 2 radiators, AOS, oil filler tube on the 986, and something on one of the other cars. Paid for itself in one job.
Nickshu (12-23-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 09:23 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 968 Likes on 647 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
When I did the AOS I bought the clamp with the pieces you snap off. Once I had the clamp where I wanted it, I gave it a twist. much easier that the alternatives. I bought the pliers set from Amazon for about $30. Decent enough quality for me to do the water pump, thermostat, 2 radiators, AOS, oil filler tube on the 986, and something on one of the other cars. Paid for itself in one job.
100% that special clamp with the install tool attached is worth buying from Porsche for the AOS job. So much easier.
Old 12-23-2023, 10:51 AM
Dllrd23
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by DOUGLAP1
I can appreciate the theoretical advantages of the spring hose clamps, but I hate dealing with those things.

Anyway, I have used the cable tool for removing them before, but for reinstalling, the best way I found was to squeeze them fully open and tie-them open with safety wire, then position them in place on a hose, and cut the safety wire to let them spring closed. They should have designed these things with some kind of built in toggle or screw clamping device.
some of the ones on GM vehicles have a lock tab to do just that.
Old 12-27-2023, 07:56 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
100% that special clamp with the install tool attached is worth buying from Porsche for the AOS job. So much easier.
Got it from Pelican. Under $3. Part#: 999-512-630-00

From Pelican's Site

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...512-630-00-OEM
Nickshu (12-27-2023)

Quick Reply: Hose Clamp Tools