Sponsored by:

Shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 02:32 PM
HartyWags
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Shifting issues

Need some help with diagnosis of shifting issues with my 2001 Boxster S. Here are the symptoms. When I start the car from cold the shifter is very stiff in first and second and moving the shifter while in neutral (left to right). After about 10 mins so it does start to get better but things are still off. The actual shifting is fine, the gears are not popping or grinding during shifting. I have fully changed the gear lube about 2 months go with Mobile One gear lube. This helped only a bit. I'm trying to create a plan on what to address and in what order, not wanted to waste money. I figure I need to look at the following

1) Shifter to see if it is worn out
2) Shifter cables

I have looked at the shifter and not being an expert things look fine. Nothing stuck in the channels, over worn parts etc. I put some white lithium grease in just to see if anything changed, it did not. I went under the car checked the cable ends that are still connected to the support brackets and the ends are clean and rust free. One thing I had to address a month ago was one of the shifter cables has a small metal sleeve that came loose from the place and had slipped down jamming shifting into 3rd. I pushed the sleeve back in and zipped below to make sure it stayed put.

So with that background I need some advice on dialing the issue. I know I could just be lazy and by a new short shift kits and cables and it should address the issue, but I really like to know the issue and confirm it before I just toss money at it.

Im thinking of the following
1) Disconnection the cables from the transmission and see if the shifting starts working normally. If so that points to the transmission.
2) If nothing changes that disconnect the cables from the shifter and work it that ways. if it is still stiff then it is a shift kit, if not then it must be the cables.

Old 12-01-2023, 04:09 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

All the boxsters that I have driven are very stiff to shift when the transmission is cold and they loosen up as they warm up. My 2000 S is the worst, on a cool morning I have to really force it into 3rd and 4th for the first couple of shifts. It never grinds or complains, just takes a lot of pressure to get it into the gear.
Old 12-01-2023, 05:02 PM
HartyWags
Instructor

that is interesting background, thanks. Do you have a theory as to why? My 911 does not have this issue, but it is a lot newer. I never had a car with the neutral left right motion being so stiff.
Old 12-01-2023, 09:55 PM
HartyWags
Instructor

interesting update, my kid used the car for a week at school and came back and now the neutral left/right motion is very easy so I think the white lithium grease did it work.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:52 AM
Jim986
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 60 Posts

Not sure if it’s the same 6sp but but me 2007 Carrera was very hard to get into 1&2 when cold. I was told it was because of the steel synronizers in first and second .My 2013 Boxster was a 2.7L and did not have this problem.
Old 01-08-2024, 09:04 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 987 Likes on 660 Posts

Inspect the cable/linkage connections at the right rear of the transmission to check for wear/loose areas. Then I would recommend buying the shifter alignment tool and adjusting the cables under the shifter.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...21-961-91-M100

Old 01-10-2024, 01:42 PM
Danimal986S
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I am chasing down the same issue. So far I have:

- replaced the shifter with a brand new 9x7 console
- changed the gear oil with the Porsche stuff
- changed the engine mount with a new 987 one

I still have the rough shift issue. Feels like rubbing on the left side when going from 1st to 2nd, but no popping or grinding.

When I used the factory alignment tool on the 9x7 shifter, the black cable popped right in no problem. But the blue cable had to be stretched about 1/4 inch to fit on the connector. I am planning to open it back up and stretch the black cable a similar amount and see if that solves it. I will let you know how that goes. May be a day or two before I get in there.

On another note, the new engine mount really smoothed out the idle and clutch engagement. My original mount was totally shot…..just need to fix the shifter and then it’ll be sports car bliss!
Old 01-10-2024, 04:35 PM
HartyWags
Instructor

thanks for the info. I think I will get ones of those alignment tools as a next step. I'm sure that my engine mount could use a refresh along with the trans mounts but I will save that for a later day.
Old 01-10-2024, 05:29 PM
BeeW
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim986
Not sure if it’s the same 6sp but but me 2007 Carrera was very hard to get into 1&2 when cold. I was told it was because of the steel synronizers in first and second .My 2013 Boxster was a 2.7L and did not have this problem.
Wondering how the synchros are supposed to feel. 1-to-2 in mine always feels funny. The gear goes in no problem, but theres a moment of resistance (especially when cold) before it slips into gear, makes for a slow shift. I'm wondering if its the synchros doing their job, just taking a longer time than I anticipate, or if it's a warning sign of imminent failure. Oil is fresh, has a new engine mount.
So whats the shift supposed to feel like?
Old 01-10-2024, 11:39 PM
Danimal986S
Advanced

That is a great question. Hoping someone with experience can answer.

here is a post on another forum where a guy said he fixed it by cutting the blue connector to allow the cable to connect without stretching. So there’s hope!

http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-g...mi-solved.html

Originally Posted by BeeW
Wondering how the synchros are supposed to feel. 1-to-2 in mine always feels funny. The gear goes in no problem, but theres a moment of resistance (especially when cold) before it slips into gear, makes for a slow shift. I'm wondering if it’s the synchros doing their job, just taking a longer time than I anticipate, or if it's a warning sign of imminent failure. Oil is fresh, has a new engine mount.
So whats the shift supposed to feel like?
Old 01-15-2024, 01:52 AM
Danimal986S
Advanced

I finally got back in there and played with the cables. I stretched the black cable about 1/4" to match how much I had to pull the blue cable to fit. It solved about 80% of the issue and now all shifts engage with a much firmer "thunk" and less guess work. I'm guessing my cables are worn and stretched or the newer version of the cables are slightly shorter than my originals. Maybe that's why the alignment tool on the 997/987 shifter doesn't quite work for me.

I may make a few micro adjustments while I've got the console open, but I'm pretty happy for now.

Quick Reply: Shifting issues