Sponsored by:

02 Boxster S dies while driving

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 04:08 PM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
Default 02 Boxster S dies while driving

A couple weeks ago, wife is driving her Boxster. It was running fine and died in a turn lane while stopped. No indication of problems. It would turn over just fine but wouldn’t start. We had it towed to her long time Indy Mechanic (a well-respected shop in Naples). It sat for a couple days and he went out and it fired right up. He shut it down and did the same thing the next day including driving for 20 min or so. No codes, no obvious problems. He replaced the fuel injector nozzles (I believe—I don’t have the receipt right now).

Car drove ok for the couple times she drove it over the past couple weeks. Today, she drives 20 min to the store, makes a couple stops and it dies on the way home—shut down in the middle of the road. She coasted into a parking lot. Same deal, it will turn over but won’t start.

Is there a thermostat (like on my dad’s ford in the 70’s) that might sense an overheat? I’m just grasping at straws.

Sound familiar?
Old 11-26-2023, 10:39 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

Maybe the CPS, although the symptoms are slightly different.
http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-g...-no-start.html
Mine is behaving like in the above thread, does not stop while driving but will refuse to start until it has been sitting for a couple hours.
Old 11-27-2023, 05:27 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

My NorthStar V8 Aurora did the same thing. No codes. Crank Position Sensor.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:15 PM
Dllrd23
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

^ What they said. Not a fan of throwing parts at it except for when the part cost is significantly lower that the diag and it a known failure part on these cars.
Old 11-29-2023, 02:29 PM
Jeff 986
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've posted this in some other threads with similar symptoms but this sounds like how my fuel pump failed in the 986. It stalled randomly or wouldn't re-start when hot under different conditions over the course of a couple of weeks.
-Stalled at a stop a couple of times and then would be hard to restart
-Stalled mid high speed curve once while shifting. I pulled over and it was then difficult to restart.
-Parked it at a store 2 different times and came out and it wouldn't start. One time it eventually restarted, the other time I had it towed home and then it immediately started fine.

I replaced my CPS but still had a couple of random stalls. Finally it wouldn't start one morning at home and I was able to throw my fuel pressure gauge on it finding 0 PSI. I did the relay bypass and still 0 PSI.

I replaced the fuel pump and it's been good for several months and 5,000 miles. Anyway, fuel pumps do apparently fail intermittently. Get a fuel pressure gauge and make preparations to bypass the relay. Keep it in the car so you can check fuel pressure and test without the relay the next time it does it.

Last edited by Jeff 986; 11-29-2023 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-29-2023, 02:44 PM
Jeff 986
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh, also the fuel pump is the easiest fuel pump to replace I've had experience with. Remove the battery, remove the 4 nuts and the battery tray and you're looking at the top of the fuel sender. A suitable Hella pump can be found for under $150 shipped so if it's the wife's car and you'd prefer throw parts at it you could just replace the pump... and possibly the CPS (it's like a 15 minute job to replace too). If it's the original pump its days are likely numbered anyway so it wouldn't be the worst decision to replace it for reliability. Be careful with the sender as they become brittle. I managed to snap one of the vent nipples off of my sender and had to drop another $155 on a URO fuel sender. Order the sender gasket regardless as it's like $6 and your original one's probably swollen and dry if it's like mine.
The following users liked this post:
Steve Theodore (12-07-2023)

Quick Reply: 02 Boxster S dies while driving