Sponsored by:

Porsche CDR 220 Radio

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 01:36 PM
gregpeitz
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche CDR 220 Radio

After engine start, 1999 Boxter with original CDR220 radio turns off. Adding load to the electrical system such as headlights or AC or some other combination of loading, the radio comes back on. Sitting still in the garage during test. Voltage is 13.5 when radio goes off. Voltage is 13.4 when additional loading of electrical system is applied and radio comes back on. Turn off the load and radio goes out again. Can repeat this over and over. I have seen other threads about the radio turning off after engine start and then coming on with additional electrical loading. I have not seen a statement of cause. Anybody know? Maybe an over voltage sensor/shutoff in the radio that has deteriorated over time and thinks voltage is too high?
Old 11-20-2022, 02:41 PM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 53 Posts

I'd start by checking your wiring and your grounds. Weird electrical behavior is often a symptom of bad grounds.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:25 PM
gregpeitz
5th Gear

Originally Posted by BillC3
I'd start by checking your wiring and your grounds. Weird electrical behavior is often a symptom of bad grounds.
Thanks. However the repeatability by changing electrical loading and the fact that the car is standing still, pretty well denies any grounding issue.

Old 11-20-2022, 04:32 PM
A8KED
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

May be related to your ignition switch. A failing ignition switch will cause all sorts of weird issues. It's a cheap item to replace.
Old 11-20-2022, 06:09 PM
gregpeitz
5th Gear

What information do you have about how the ignition switch affects this situation?
Old 11-20-2022, 10:06 PM
A8KED
Instructor

The headlights and several other electrical, items are wired thru the ignition switch. If you do a search of ignition switch issues, you'll find several postings regarding electrical issues that were related to the ignition switch.
Old 11-20-2022, 10:10 PM
A8KED
Instructor

Just google "986 ignition switch issues" .
Old 11-21-2022, 09:31 AM
gregpeitz
5th Gear

A8KED, I searched and only found issues related to the electrical portion of the switch related to contact or no contact in a failing assembly. My issue is not related to loosing contact. Only related to voltage. Thanks for tip.
Old 11-28-2022, 03:00 PM
Dllrd23
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gregpeitz
After engine start, 1999 Boxter with original CDR220 radio turns off. Adding load to the electrical system such as headlights or AC or some other combination of loading, the radio comes back on. Sitting still in the garage during test. Voltage is 13.5 when radio goes off. Voltage is 13.4 when additional loading of electrical system is applied and radio comes back on. Turn off the load and radio goes out again. Can repeat this over and over. I have seen other threads about the radio turning off after engine start and then coming on with additional electrical loading. I have not seen a statement of cause. Anybody know? Maybe an over voltage sensor/shutoff in the radio that has deteriorated over time and thinks voltage is too high?
does the radio cut out key on/engine off?
other things to try:
check for a voltage drop in the circuit by measuring voltage on the output side of the fuse and then measure it at the rear connector at the radio. There should not be much difference. If so somewhere in the circuit power is being robbed you will have to locate it.
Read voltage at the ground point for the radio when on and then check it again after cleaning the ground point.
have you called Becker in NJ. they are fantastic and may be able to give you an answer on the overvoltage question.
lastly, substitute something of similar load for the radio. If it doesn’t cut out, it’s most likely the radio.
just some thoughts. Good luck.
Old 11-28-2022, 03:37 PM
gregpeitz
5th Gear

DLLRD23 I think you have the right advice with Becker in NJ. After my last forum note and no how to fix-it answers, I did more searching and communicated with them. Their observation is that these radios have a common problem. As they age, the voltage protection device sags and starts calling out good lower voltages as bad. The device is supposed to be good up to 14.5 volts as told to me. MIne has apparently sagged to just about 13.4 volts as acceptable. They offer to repair at their shop in NJ. Thanks for your help.
Old 11-28-2022, 08:36 PM
Dllrd23
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gregpeitz
DLLRD23 I think you have the right advice with Becker in NJ. After my last forum note and no how to fix-it answers, I did more searching and communicated with them. Their observation is that these radios have a common problem. As they age, the voltage protection device sags and starts calling out good lower voltages as bad. The device is supposed to be good up to 14.5 volts as told to me. MIne has apparently sagged to just about 13.4 volts as acceptable. They offer to repair at their shop in NJ. Thanks for your help.
glad to help. Just as an aside, I had Becker restore my cdr220 this summer. They did an amazing job. It was a little pricey but worth every penny. Advice: spring for the Bluetooth upgrade.

Quick Reply: Porsche CDR 220 Radio