Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Wave?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 11:14 PM
poorschemann

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Wave?

Coming from a motorcycle background, we motorcyclist generally give a wave or nod upon seeing another bike and nine times out of ten the wave is reciprocated. Now, regarding my Boxster, does this hold true to the Porsche family? Do Boxsters only nod to other Boxsters? 911s to other 911s? Or are the different "breeds" allowed to "cross-wave"? More importantly, do Porsche owners wave at all?

Just curious,
Carl
Old 04-12-2004, 04:22 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Way back when (10-20+ years ago), it was customary for Porsche drivers to blink their lights at each other. In recent years, I rarely notice drivers exchanging such greetings. I'm interested to see what others have to say.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:05 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still do "the Flash" (flashing headlights) on occasion. The Wave is an acceptable alternative!

It's a bummer when someone doesn't return the gesture, but that's teh way it goes. It seems that the older the Porsche, the more likely it's driven by an enthusiast.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I still do the "flash" when I see another Porsche. Unfortunately, I only get an "answer" about 50% of the time.

Save the Flash!
Old 04-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always wave to other Porsche drivers regardless of what they are driving. I get about 50% return. Same with the Vette, but the return is about 75%
Old 04-12-2004, 01:19 PM
Ben Plaisted
Racer

I give the headlight up and down to any porsche I see. I feel kinda bad though the other day a midnight blue 996 flashed and I wasn't expecting it so I didnt' have time to react. 90% of the time I get a response from another driver.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:29 PM
doclaw64
Intermediate

I think it depends on where you live. I am guilty of not flashing all the time, but I live in L.A. and most of the people here don't know what it means so I would get about a 5-10% return. I does get a like frustrating.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:43 PM
Baron009
Pro

Plus in LA you simply can't keep up with all the Porsches, it would be a road hazard to be flashing, waving at them all hehe. Well, or so I hear that Porsche's can be found at every second corner in Cali.

Around here Porsche's are quite rare so it's quite common to get waves, stares, nods, or 'yells' from kids (nice car etc.). Funny thing is no waves from P-car owners yet. Not sure whether it's cause I'm in a 944, or whether the owners here aren't really enthusiasts, but rather just old rich people who happen to have a Porsche. Maybe a bit of both.

I do get waves from classic car drivers all the time. Just last week I got an unexpected wave from a guy in a totally souped up muscle car/dragster. I managed to react in time and get a bit of a gesture out before we passed each other hehe.

I think it's great to see people respecting each other's rides.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:08 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I try to flash all other Porsches. As mentioned, the older P-cars are driven by owners who were not necessarily looking for the latest cool car but who truly appreciate what they have. Additionally, I have been flashed by other Porsche owners and have sometimes been caught off guard, causing me to think the other guy must have thought I was a dilettante.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:46 AM
FSAEracer03
TRB0 GUY
Rennlist Member

Hey Carl,

The first week I owned mine, I was pulling out of AutoZone after getting some oil and got on the boost in 2nd gear. I guy riding past my on a cruiser did the classic biker low-wave. I returned it, naturally, but then immediately felt stupid, thinking he was doing it to another biker. Nope; I was the only one going my way!

I was so excited that I got the biker wave!

I didn't know about the "Porsche flash," though I will try to do so whenever possible. I always make it a point to wave at fellow Porsche owners... though it's only happened once. I didn't get a response from the 20-somthing 996 owner. Go figure!
Old 04-13-2004, 06:14 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I have Harleys and a BMW and the cars, so I'm waving all the time. I sometimes wonder what others must think when I'm not driving or riding what they are.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:37 PM
ettsn
Pro

I flash and/or wave at almost every Porsche I see. I get a response from a good majority of them. Keep the tradition alive!

-Paul
Old 04-13-2004, 01:08 PM
poorschemann

Kevin, something to be careful of is the "low wave" especially if the biker is "pushing down" with his/her left hand. This means you better slow down 'cause there's a cop up ahead. Conversely, a thumbs up usually means the road is clear and it's okay to open the throttle. Riding in the mountains on a sport bike in and near LA means you need to "read the signs" if you plan to keep your license.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone ... wait till I tell my wife I need to start flashing and stop waving! :-)

Carl
Old 04-13-2004, 01:48 PM
alan t
Instructor

I don't know if it's just me, but almost all of the time it's only other boxsters that wave/flash. On different occasions I've pulled right up to a 944, 964, and a 928 while driving, and not a single one of them even looked over! Maybe it's because i'm driving a "boxster." Who knows, but I find I have a much better chance of getting a response from fellow boxster owners(men and women). The only other waves were from a 911 widebody cabrio and a 914. just my experience.

Old 04-13-2004, 03:53 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,253 Posts

I receive more reply waves from 911 owners when I wave while driving my New Beetle.

944 owners around here don't wave much.

Quick Reply: Porsche Wave?