Sponsored by:

Sold my Boxster! CHEAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 02:12 PM
Oilslick964
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Sold my Boxster! CHEAP!!!

Just sold my 1997 Boxster with sport package & traction control. 46k miles, all records, original paint, etc... excellent car for $16,750. I had it for sale for 3 months and that is ALL I could get for it (unless I wanted to ship it to that very trustworthy gentleman in Lagos, Nigeria...ha ha). My point is, that is about the same value as a 1989 944 Turbo with low miles. You can't even touch a decent 968 for that. I love the Boxster, but that kind of drop in value is very Vette-like. I literally could have bought a '97 Vette and not lost as much money. Is it just me or is Porsche getting less and less exclusive and more and more like a Chrysler???

Paul
Done with this current generation of Porsches!
Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2004, 02:49 PM
dumluk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simple supply vs. demand. You can hardly take a short walk without tripping over a few Boxsters, at least here in Florida. In that respect, they are like Vettes. No shortage of them either.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:07 PM
ettsn
Pro

Could it also be that the market for Boxsters (or Porsches in general) is not particularly great in Arkansas? Did you try listing it on EBay to try to sell it outside your area or anything? I know you could've gotten low $20Ks in Atlanta for that very car.

-Paul
Old 03-29-2004, 04:44 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

hmm... sounds like it might be timing also..

3 months ago was still winter season in a big area of the country...

NOW i am seeing prices go back UP on the same cars that sat at dealers all winter..

We have a 97 Porsche that had a $22K price tag all winter and this morning on my way to work I saw a tag stating it was $24,500
Old 03-29-2004, 05:22 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As an owner of the 2.5 model, I can also tell you that most people, when looking for a used Boxster, are told (by "experts" like us) to get a 2000 or newer and get the 2.7 and nicer interiors that come with the later models. Since even those are going for great prices, and compounding what was said above, it makes our early cars even less desirable.

I'm scared to death at the thought of if I ever "have" to sell it. I'm sure I'll be in a hole with this car for a while. But the true value to me (that'd be the smile it still puts on my face every time I drive it) is still worth the price I paid for the car. Besides, I'm hoping to keep this one a long time.
Old 03-29-2004, 09:56 PM
Oilslick964
Drifting

I can agree that Boxster are in low demand but not just in Arkansas. I ran the car on Ebay and the bid reached only $17,600 and that was from a scam artist in Norway. I sold it to the second high bidder who was a few hours away. The Boxster is a pretty car but the 2.5 is just grossly underpowered. Also, I was dissapointed with the fact that the "check engine" light practically burned itself out. I'm a die-hard Porsche guy, but if given a choice, I'd buy a Vette over a Boxster. Better yet, I'll stick with my Jag XJR. It's as pretty as a Boxster, as fast as a Vette and I can put the whole family in it. Sorry, just venting my frustrations!

Thanks for listening.
Paul
Old 03-30-2004, 10:19 AM
delhi
Racer

well boxsters in general depreciates faster than most other porsches I know off. i mean for comparison sake, at our local ad, a '94 968 is going more than a 1999 boxster! mileage are about the same.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:59 PM
craigg
Instructor

A couple of additional thoughts...

- First years of a lot of cars tend to not do that well in resale, except maybe the '63 'Vette coupes, and mainly because of their subsequent rarity, not because it was a "great" car. Subsequent improvements tend to make this happen.

- The "asking" price on a '94 968 may be higher, but the "getting" price, now that is a different story. Also, 968 is the last version of the venerable 944 and notwithstanding the fact that it is a great car in its own right, may well have some collector value. Not really a comparable situation.

- A comment was made in an earlier post that the convertible season is only just now coming into its own. Timing is everything.

- Finally, depreciation is a fact of life when owning a car. Your comment about the '97 Boxster's rate is interesting but I think you would find that a '99 996 has seen a pretty spectacular hit as well. All higher end sports cars have been suffering.

I hope you enjoy whatever you get next.

By the way, I used to own an '88 Cadillac Allante (prior to getting the Porsche bug). You have no idea what getting kicked in the n*ts on depreciation is until you have owned one of those!!!
Old 03-30-2004, 06:14 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Knowing what I know now, it will be hard to buy a new car again. If you can wait and let the prestige buyers take the first hit of depreciation, you're so much better off.

I intend to keep my Boxster S a looong time. Depreciation only matters if you sell!
Old 03-30-2004, 06:19 PM
dove
Banned

Originally posted by Oilslick964
I can agree that Boxster are in low demand but not just in Arkansas. I ran the car on Ebay and the bid reached only $17,600 and that was from a scam artist in Norway. I sold it to the second high bidder who was a few hours away. The Boxster is a pretty car but the 2.5 is just grossly underpowered. Also, I was dissapointed with the fact that the "check engine" light practically burned itself out. I'm a die-hard Porsche guy, but if given a choice, I'd buy a Vette over a Boxster. Better yet, I'll stick with my Jag XJR. It's as pretty as a Boxster, as fast as a Vette and I can put the whole family in it. Sorry, just venting my frustrations!

Thanks for listening.
Paul
Two Points, I have a 2.5 and to say its "grossly underpowered" is crap,so compared to what is it so underpowered?? I swapped the Boxster for a 964 which was much quicker but is a 964 underpowered against say an Enzo?? a 2.5 will do 0-60 in a tad under 7 secs,plenty for a road car.
I have more fun in the Boxster than the 964 because the box handles so much better,If you sold your box because it was "grossly underpowered" I think you will find it hard to have fun in anything.
Secondly I paid £14,000 in the UK for my 97 car about $26,000 and this was cheap because it came from a friend and its left hand drive.If I wanted I could get £16,000 for it and £18,000 if it were right hand drive.
Ahh the joys of a small country.
Paul
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2004, 08:07 PM
craigg
Instructor

...and it is soooooo pretty!

Is that the Metropol blue interior and roof?
Old 04-02-2004, 04:04 PM
Oilslick964
Drifting

dove,
I think the Boxster is "grossly underpowered" in comparison to the 350z convertible, for example. Especially considering the price difference. Boxsters are pretty and handle incredible well, but the lack of power is very frustrating. There is really not much you can do to remedy that either. Step up to an "S"? The 350z is still faster. I've had 964s, 951s, 968s and even a 993. For the money, the 968 is more car. In my opinion.
Old 04-02-2004, 04:23 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't agree that Boxsters are "grossly" underpowered.

However, if you want more power, there's one sure fire thing you can do - install a 3.4L engine. A guy on PPBB just did so and has had great results. Check out trentcarter.com. (Kudos to The Trent.)

http://trentcarter.com/
Old 04-02-2004, 05:06 PM
delhi
Racer

let's not say the boxster is grossly underpowered. but instead say the chassis is overly talented.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Oilslick964
dove,
I think the Boxster is "grossly underpowered" in comparison to the 350z convertible, for example. Especially considering the price difference. Boxsters are pretty and handle incredible well, but the lack of power is very frustrating. There is really not much you can do to remedy that either. Step up to an "S"? The 350z is still faster. I've had 964s, 951s, 968s and even a 993. For the money, the 968 is more car. In my opinion.
In Your Opinion you are missing the point HP numbers alone are meaningless. You MUST factor in Car WEIGHT

It is Weight to HP that matters! not HP alone.

Do the math!! Weight / HP =

These are the weights for Manual transmission cars

968: 3.0L
Curb weight: 3,086 lbs
Horsepower: 236

13.0 Lbs for every HP

Boxster 2.5L
Curb weight: 2,759 lbs
Horsepower: 201
13.7 Lbs for every HP

.7 is a small difference

Seems like the 968 and 986 are VERY close so much for your "grossly underpowered" theory.

As you can see the 350 is heavier but has a better weight to HP ratio

350Z
Curb weight: 3,197 lbs
Horsepower: 280

11.4 Lbs for every HP

If you want to see amazing HP to Weight numbers try the Corvette or Viper

Woo .... Under 9Lbs per HP

Quick Reply: Sold my Boxster! CHEAP!!!