Squeaking clutch pedal

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 07:12 AM
Skaanning
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Squeaking clutch pedal

Hi all,
I had a new clutch put in my car some 6 months ago. The actual clutch mechanisme is working fine. However, a squeaking noise has appeared. It seems to come from the pedal. Whenever I press down and when it comes back up the sound appears. It sounds like when you pull an old rusty spring or something.
When the engine is turned off and I can hear better when pushing the pedal, it seems like the sound not just comes from around the pedal, but also from somewhere back towards the engine.
Any idea?
Also; some days ago the pedal behaved weird for a few minutes. Usually it comes back up nice and straight, but this time it seemed a bit "reluctant" the last inch or so. The problem went away again. At least for now. But of course I think about it...
Could it be lack of fluid the system?
Thanks!
Skaanning from Denmark
Old 08-05-2019, 09:55 AM
Anker
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Samme svar som på 986forum. Din hjælpe fjeder er brækket! :-)
Old 08-05-2019, 10:57 AM
Skaanning
AutoX

Hello! Thanks for your reply!

Tak for svaret. Er du kyndig ud i Boxster 986?
Har faktisk flere spørgsmål, og kunne godt bruge lidt råd fra en klog mand. Er ikke ny i forhold til at skrue på biler (veteraner), men er ny og uerfarne mht Porsche og Boxster.

Sorry to write in danish!
Old 08-05-2019, 06:34 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 88 Posts

My 2000 base has a squeak also, definitely in the pedal mechanism. I sprayed some oil on the pivot areas that would logically cause the noise but it is still there. Could it be the switch or a spring?
Old 08-05-2019, 06:44 PM
Skaanning
AutoX

Kind and wise people tell me it is the clutch spring assist. Nothing serious....a cheap, but a bit difficult fix.
Old 08-06-2019, 01:03 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

I've replaced the clutch spring assist in my 996 successfully, but did go through the pains. I tried in a 986 and threw in the towel after 10 minutes, and will not attempt to do it again.
Old 08-06-2019, 03:16 PM
Skaanning
AutoX

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
I've replaced the clutch spring assist in my 996 successfully, but did go through the pains. I tried in a 986 and threw in the towel after 10 minutes, and will not attempt to do it again.
Some things are best left to pros. My local mechanic who has 30 years of experience just told me he could do it (including taking the seat out) in under 1 hour. No fuzz about that...
I like working on cars myself, but sometimes it it easier to leave the difficult jobs to a pro.
Old 08-06-2019, 08:33 PM
Anker
Instructor

Originally Posted by Skaanning
Hello! Thanks for your reply!

Tak for svaret. Er du kyndig ud i Boxster 986?
Har faktisk flere spørgsmål, og kunne godt bruge lidt råd fra en klog mand. Er ikke ny i forhold til at skrue på biler (veteraner), men er ny og uerfarne mht Porsche og Boxster.

Sorry to write in danish!
Hej,

Jeg reparerer og vedligeholder begge vores Boxstere (2002 Base og 2004 S) og bruger kun en mekaniker hvis det haster og jeg ikke har tid.

Jeg er mere end villig til at gove dig de svar jeg kan. Send mig en email anker snabel a ankersoft punktum com.

Anker
Old 08-06-2019, 08:39 PM
Anker
Instructor

Originally Posted by Skaanning
Some things are best left to pros. My local mechanic who has 30 years of experience just told me he could do it (including taking the seat out) in under 1 hour. No fuzz about that...
I like working on cars myself, but sometimes it it easier to leave the difficult jobs to a pro.
Yes, sometimes the job is too hard and requires special tools, but I have found that even the best mechanics overlook issues that I prefer to be on top of. A perfect example is underbody panel screws and bolts. They will remove a panel and put it back again without all the screws if they are missing. That would be OK if they would tell me. Another thing they don't do is to check everything accessible when they repair or maintain something. I am really annoyed with the missing fasteners and incorrect nuts and bolts I find on my previously shop maintained cars. I'll wrap up with another example. Just changed the oil on my Mercedes CLK 350. The copper washer on the drain plug was ancient and paper thin. It should be replaced every time the oil is changed.

The one really major thing I won't attack is a transmission rebuild. It requires a lot of shimming to make sure all gears mesh properly.

Quick Reply: Squeaking clutch pedal