Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Gauge Readings

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2019, 11:10 PM
vza
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Gauge Readings

Hi All, Just upgraded my 99 Boxster Base with 996 Cluster and to my surprise it was pretty much plug and play. Replaced the oil pressure sensor with the 996 sensor with 2 leads, ran the wire to the cluster made the connection and fired it up. All the lights are working .....even the convertible light (even though the donor it wasn't a cabriolet cluster .....go figure) Question is the oil pressure gauge moves when revved.....read some treads this is normal .....just want to be sure. Also....is the only thing I need to do is bring it to an indi or dealer to correct the milage....does the VIN # have to be added as well for state inspection?? Not too sure what to do if I want to add the OBC. Pelican talks about OBC with the 986 cluster but not with the 996 cluster.....is this a option with a 996 cluster? Thanks V
Old 07-28-2019, 05:41 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

I wired in an aftermarket oil pressure gauge. It moves with engine revs.
Attached Images   
Old 07-28-2019, 11:18 AM
vza
Instructor

0k....cool...thanks for the response.v
Old 07-29-2019, 10:20 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

You can copy the VIN and mileage from your original cluster by following this post. You'll need an EPROM programmer to accomplish it. I put a 996 cluster in my 02 track car and copied the info from the original cluster. I think all 996 clusters have OBC enabled. Since my car did not have the levers on the steering column to control the OBC, I installed switches in the center console. I have a programmer in case your interested.
Old 07-30-2019, 01:34 AM
vza
Instructor

Well, I found a place that would correct the mileage for 115.00 with shipping back to me. Not too sure why its necessary to transfer over the VIN # unless its an inspection issue. You can PM what you want for the EPROM programmer but may be easier for me to send it off. The new cluster is reading the outside temp.....does this mean my OBC is enabled? I am interested in how you wired the rocker switches ...did you follow the pelican parts instructions? Thanks Vin.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:26 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, wiring the switches is detailed on Pelican. I purchase two switches on ebay. You need to run four wires from the switches to the cluster, plus a power and ground. Probably better for you to have someone reset your mileage. The programmer plus shipping would be close to what you were quoted. I would have them do the VIN also in case you sell the car.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:48 AM
vza
Instructor

The pelican article was for the 986 OBC correct? If my cluster is showing outside temp does this mean OBC is enabled already.For the Vin and mileage I'm thinking of just leaving it any DMV problems w that?

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Gauge Readings