Sponsored by:

1997 vs 1998 rear suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 07:15 AM
Geir Nordvik
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 vs 1998 rear suspension

One of the coming projects for my 1997 base model, will be to refresh the stock shocks/Springs.
Think it is the original ones that still are on the car, and the damping is poor I can say.

Have not decided what to go for yet. New dampers/springs vs a mild coilover solution. Regarding the coil overs, does it seem that many can deliver from model year 1998 and up.
Seems like it is a different set up for the 1997 vs 1998 model. I know that it was done something reinforcement in the rear for the 1998 model. Could this affect the struts?
If somebody could update me, it would be great.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:42 AM
BillC3
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 57 Posts

After 22 years, your stock shocks are almost certainly worn out. However, unless the car has sagged really low, the stock springs are probably fine.

What are your plans for the car? If it's going to stay as an occasional-use, fun street car, you may just want to replace the stock struts with new stock struts. If you are going to start autocrossing or get into on-track driving, then installing coilovers might make sense. Just figure out your end goals first, because changing plans after you've replaced parts gets expensive.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:07 AM
Geir Nordvik
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the shocks are done. That is for sure. Feel every dump in me teeth.
I have a standard US version car, so it is quite high. It does not seem to be lower than normal.
My use for the car will be weekend trips around town, and at our lovely small country roads.
I am not interested in the coilovers for make an lowrider. But 30mm down would not hurt the looks.
My wish is a sporty and comfortable ride. Have maked a project list at Pelican parts, with the Koni Active. Still i see that if I change only the Shocks and all the other parts typical needed, the price will be about same as an good German coilover. And then both springs and shocks will be new. Just a thought.
Would ofcourse set the coilover to its highest setting. Maybe the ride would be ok then.
Old 07-27-2019, 09:44 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

The '98 introduced a 18” wheel option with rear chassis reinforced to accept new wheels. Rear body structural change included redesigned wheel wells and coil spring mounts, lower engine compartment bulkhead, rear wall crossmember and rear axle mount reinforcements.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:26 PM
GregBBRD
Former Vendor

Received 2,478 Likes on 1,469 Posts

One final comment:

I realize that ganging up on one person/business is great "fun" for some people and there's a percentage of this 928 Forum that thrives on this.

I'm not sure of those people's logic or their end goals. I don't understand why Rennlist tolerates this behavior...from what seems like top down.

Maligning my clients and friends is a step too far. I sincerely apologize to these people, for any damage just knowing me has done to their own reputation.

My entire 928 existence (from the very first models, to the last) has been to repair and by observing inadequacies, improve what was originally built, by Porsche.

Yes, I have been critical of people who copy my efforts, but apparently, that is completely fine, by almost everyone.
Yes, I've been critical of pieces "invented" which do not remotely perform as claimed.

i thought I was doing an exemplary job, at doing this...engines, transmissions, suspension, clutches, fuel lines, torque tube improvements, engine ventilation, reduction of oil getting to the intake, gaskets....the list is too large to post everything I've made or done.

I've made thousands of posts, just to help people with their individual "issues" with their own 928's....sharing, mistakenly, what I thought was a somewhat unique volume of knowledge.

I'm, quite obviously, vastly mistaken and hated by a fairly large percentage of Rennlist members.

I will reevaluate my entire existence.
Old 11-28-2023, 10:12 PM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by GregBBRD
One final comment:

I realize that ganging up on one person/business is great "fun" for some people and there's a percentage of this 928 Forum that thrives on this.

I'm not sure of those people's logic or their end goals. I don't understand why Rennlist tolerates this behavior...from what seems like top down.

Maligning my clients and friends is a step too far. I sincerely apologize to these people, for any damage just knowing me has done to their own reputation.

My entire 928 existence (from the very first models, to the last) has been to repair and by observing inadequacies, improve what was originally built, by Porsche.

Yes, I have been critical of people who copy my efforts, but apparently, that is completely fine, by almost everyone.
Yes, I've been critical of pieces "invented" which do not remotely perform as claimed.

i thought I was doing an exemplary job, at doing this...engines, transmissions, suspension, clutches, fuel lines, torque tube improvements, engine ventilation, reduction of oil getting to the intake, gaskets....the list is too large to post everything I've made or done.

I've made thousands of posts, just to help people with their individual "issues" with their own 928's....sharing, mistakenly, what I thought was a somewhat unique volume of knowledge.

I'm, quite obviously, vastly mistaken and hated by a fairly large percentage of Rennlist members.

I will reevaluate my entire existence.
Greg, I think you posted to the wrong forum (986 - 928... not the same thing!)
For those that don't have a 928 Greg is the guru. As he says he has contributed hugely to the 928 forum and to the 928 world...
... but things do get a little wild over there sometimes...
Old 11-29-2023, 09:29 AM
Starter986
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by elgy
Greg, I think you posted to the wrong forum (986 - 928... not the same thing!)
For those that don't have a 928 Greg is the guru. As he says he has contributed hugely to the 928 forum and to the 928 world...
... but things do get a little wild over there sometimes...
Popcorn on. Heading to 928...

Quick Reply: 1997 vs 1998 rear suspension