Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading a 87 911 for a 2000 Boxter tiptronic...

Old 02-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Daytona24
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Brian P, was that you I saw wearing a cape and goggles behind the wheel of your tiptronic boxster? What was the passenger in the mesh shirt looking for under your seat?

Last edited by Daytona24; 03-18-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:45 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Daytona24
Actually that Birkenchrist thing is legitimately witty. I may start using that myself if you have no objections... All in my effort to be more like yourself - except I don't think I have enough money to match your extensive collection of Herbal Essences shampoos and body care products.
You are more then welcome to use " BirkenChrist " I think you'll find most people will not understand it, but those that do will love it.

I can send you some FREE Avon products, if you want to pay 19.99 S/H
If you act now I will include a 1/43 scale Boxster in which you can wear as a lapel pin, this will make an Auto statement about you!

If you really enjoy my company, I am available for Avon product showings, Kinda like the candle parties you might be familar with.

You might also like the saying

"Winter GalGothic toe", which is when someone wares sandles after a long winter and has no clue about foot care with long white toe nails. Bed Sheet slicers.

kinda like howard hughs before death, and a pasty white look. You don't get that much down south, but boy. up north you do.

then there is... "Dirt Circus", that is what we call people that follow that Greatful dead type bands around from town to town. Smelly bunch if there was one.

Aww. the list can go on and on...
Old 02-26-2004, 12:54 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Brian P, that "Greg Manders" at the bottom of my posts - that's my name. If you get confused again let me know.
I appreciate that offer! I hope you check this board a lot, because I get confused often.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:59 PM
Daytona24
Banned

Interesting insights Vampyre... either you actually have a sense of humor, or you have a disturbing wealth of knowledge about sandals and those who wear them. I'll assume it's the former.

Oh look, it's almost lunch time - while I'm gone do me a favor Vampyre, and keep an eye on Brian P - I'm worried about him.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:08 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Interesting insights Vampyre... either you actually have a sense of humor, or you have a disturbing wealth of knowledge about sandals and those who wear them. I'll assume it's the former.

Oh look, it's almost lunch time - while I'm gone do me a favor Vampyre, and keep an eye on Brian P - I'm worried about him.
Yes!, Lunch time, indeed, I'll go for a drive. I have been sentenced to mini van hell for too long. Winter is starting to fade and snow is starting to melt.
Yeah!

As for Brian P, I am sure he'll do fine without my intervention.

But your a different story, We all have to watch you!
Old 02-26-2004, 01:17 PM
Daytona24
Banned

Yes, the one tradeoff we have for our hellacious summers down here, is that we can drive our P-cars year-round.

Of course, I would never consider driving in the rain without PSM - God forbid someone has to control their car... (Gasp!) THEMSELVES!!!

Enjoy your drive Vampyre - that 986 is a fun street car.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:38 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Yes, the one tradeoff we have for our hellacious summers down here, is that we can drive our P-cars year-round.

Of course, I would never consider driving in the rain without PSM - God forbid someone has to control their car... (Gasp!) THEMSELVES!!!

Enjoy your drive Vampyre - that 986 is a fun street car.
Done eating and on my way out, but I wanted to clarify

My 986 is a Manual transmission NOT a Tip
My 986 does NOT have PSM, not sure if was offered on 1997 models
My 986 never had cup holders.

and.. Gasp, I am driving the Vette at lunch, the Boxster is still in storage until mid march.

I do wish I could drive year round, that would be great!

Cya for now...
Old 02-26-2004, 01:52 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Put snow tires on the Boxster. It handles phenomenally with the right tires.

Of course, then you have to deal with the salt destroying the car.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:05 PM
Daytona24
Banned

Only problem I had with the Boxster on the street was the same problem I had with my old 951S, it was almost boring by comparison to the SC I sold to get it. Obviously a small complaint, "too easy to drive" - I mean still a blast, but there was no drama at the limit. Of course once my 951S had 360rwhp it was a little more fun.

In any case, I think with stiffer front and (especially) rear swaybars and some decent dampers, the 986 is a lot more "twitchy" (read: "fun"). Again, preference I suppose.

Last edited by Daytona24; 03-18-2004 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:06 PM
Vampyre
Racer

Originally posted by Brian P
Put snow tires on the Boxster. It handles phenomenally with the right tires.

Of course, then you have to deal with the salt destroying the car.
I just can't do it. I would have a ruined hood and windshield. they put down lots of salt and also cinders, driving on the highway, my car would be pelted by the cars ahead of me.

The other reason, is many drivers around here have no clue about winter driving, mostly college students from out of state, and some local people.

Sad story that happened, about 1 month ago, A guy gets a MB SL500, and the weather was just OK, well he takes it out and sure enough someone hits his car at an intersection, as he was wating for the light, this person in the on coming lane, trys to turn the corner quickly and side across the intersection right in to the front of his SL500, that he JUST BOUGHT! Sad but true. I met this guy at a friends collison shop and seen the car.

Well anyway, I have heard the Boxster will handle well in the snow with the RIGHT tires, but I just can't see driving my pride and joy in that kinda of weather. The salt will kill my car, I know about the 10 year rust through warranty, but I just can't do it. Plus my Boxster is already 7 years old, and it is in Great shape considering.

I have a mini van, and that works well in the snow, but I hate driving it.

Hey, Daytona24 Here are a couple you might like...

1. I know there's money in auto racing - I put it there.

2. Nitrous is like a hot chick with an STD. You want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences.

3. Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a good-looking and well preserved body, but rather to slide in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming...
"WOW -- WHAT A RIDE!"
Old 02-26-2004, 03:16 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Only problem I had with the Boxster on the street was the same problem I had with my old 951S, it was almost boring by comparison to the SC I sold to get it. Obviously a small complaint, "too easy to drive" - I mean still a blast, but there was no drama at the limit. Of course once my 951S had 360rwhp it was a little more fun.

In any case, I think with stiffer front and (especially) rear swaybars and some decent dampers, the 986 is a lot more "twitchy" (read: "fun"). Again, preference I suppose.

Greg
I'm a wuss on the street and never approach the limits in my boxster. Given how many DE days I do each year, I just don't see the point in pushing it on the street.

To each their own, though.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Daytona24
Banned

Vampyre, I like those quotes, they're right on target.

Brian P, I guess you're the lucky exception who gets to ring out your Boxster at the track so much - unfortunately some of us aren't able to go to the track as much as we'd like, so our street driving has to be a little more 'spirited' to hold us over between test & tune days, and races.

In any case a word of wisdom from (I forgot his name, he's the only guy I've seen racing a boxster at PCA events), he says, just like a tracked 951, keep the 986 almost 1 qt. over full to minimize possibility of drying up a bearing mid-corner. It's good that your Boxster hasn't yet experienced those problems - if there were more experiences like yours I might have considered buying one. But stock, they're a little too 'feminine' for me.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:51 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

I've done the 1qt over full trick and it has the nasty side effect of getting too much oil on the MAF which causes the check engine light to come on.

Having troubles with oil on the track is probably hugely dependent on the track. If you have a very long, high speed corner, it's probably more of an issue.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:06 PM
Daytona24
Banned

Yes it would be very dependant on the track. However, I've heard of more than a few 951S guys throw a rod bearing at Sebring, which doesn't necessarily have the longest sweeping bends. I was a little nervous at Roebling because it's mostly long, constant-radius turns (what a boring track by the way - you're literally in danger of falling asleep behind the wheel)

So Brian, do you still run the 1qt. over, or do you run just at full?
Old 02-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Daytona24
Banned

Vampyre, have you taken your C5 on the track yet? Besides the diminutive brakes, I wonder if there are any other weak points...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trading a 87 911 for a 2000 Boxter tiptronic...