Sponsored by:

Trying to buy a 986 Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2019, 02:09 AM
doridori
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trying to buy a 986 Boxster S

I am looking to purchase an used 986 or 987 Boxster S. I found a 2001 986 Boxster S with 150,000 miles. He is the original owner.

He told me the car is fine except 2 problems:

1. Every time that he tries to lock the car, the car will unlock itself later. It seems like the computer thinks that one or both doors are not completely closed or something.
2. It couldn't pass California smog since we are in California. I asked him about the ODB error code. He said he will get it from his mechanic later. The ODB code should give us a good clue of the problem, right?

Any input / advice about the problems above especially item #1?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2019, 01:12 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 794 Likes on 446 Posts

#1: Don't lock the car. Locking a convertible is asking for someone to cut your $700 top to protect a $200 stereo.

#2: I live in PA, I have no idea about smog. However, I don't recall seeing a lot of smog problems with Boxsters, and there are a lot of them on the road. So I expect that whatever it is will be an easy fix.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:02 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

With 150,000 miles you may need to replace the converters I have a good pair I will sell if you need that.

The door has a couple switches that notify the computer what position the door handle is in, those switches fail sometimes. not to expensive but not easy to replace.
Old 04-27-2019, 04:25 PM
doridori
Instructor

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
With 150,000 miles you may need to replace the converters I have a good pair I will sell if you need that.

The door has a couple switches that notify the computer what position the door handle is in, those switches fail sometimes. not to expensive but not easy to replace.
1. Do you mean the catalytic converter? How much are you selling your pair?

2. For replacing the door switches, how many hours of labor should I estimate from an experienced Porsche mechanic? How sure are we that it is the problem of the door switch?

Thanks a lot.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:27 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

$250 for front or rear pair. Not sure about labor rate for door switch I have not had any problem with mine. Search for people that have posted about it

Originally Posted by doridori
1. Do you mean the catalytic converter? How much are you selling your pair?

2. For replacing the door switches, how many hours of labor should I estimate from an experienced Porsche mechanic? How sure are we that it is the problem of the door switch?

Thanks a lot.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:01 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Yes, get the exact codes. And remember, he may know things he isn't telling you.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:39 AM
doridori
Instructor

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
$250 for front or rear pair. Not sure about labor rate for door switch I have not had any problem with mine. Search for people that have posted about it
Hi Byprodriver,

Would the ODB code be able to tell whether I need the front or rear pair? If not, how can I tell whether I need the front or rear pair? What city are you located at?

Thanks
Old 04-29-2019, 12:49 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Hi Byprodriver,

Would the ODB code be able to tell whether I need the front or rear pair? If not, how can I tell whether I need the front or rear pair? What city are you located at?

Thanks
I believe the code will indicate which converter is under performing, just google the code number.
My converters are in FL that's why I don't need them anymore.
Old 04-29-2019, 05:27 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

I am looking to purchase an used 986 or 987 Boxster S. I found a 2001 986 Boxster S with 150,000 miles. He is the original owner.

He told me the car is fine except 2 problems:

1. Every time that he tries to lock the car, the car will unlock itself later. It seems like the computer thinks that one or both doors are not completely closed or something.
2. It couldn't pass California smog since we are in California. I asked him about the ODB error code. He said he will get it from his mechanic later. The ODB code should give us a good clue of the problem, right?

Any input / advice about the problems above especially item #1?

Thanks
Maybe Shawn lives in a rougher neighborhood than I but I locked my Boxster every time I parked it and over 317K miles I parked a lot and never had a top cut.

If the car unlocks the doors on its own this can be a bad door lock controller, water in one/both doors, water under the seat which has the security module wet.

The door lock controller can be replaced. It is not that expensive. Water in the doors is due to a failed membrane. This can be replaced. They age and leak. I had to replace both in my 2002 after 13 or 14 years.

Water in the cabin under the seats can come from several places, the most common is a body water drain has blocked up and overflowed.

You need to be very sure what's going on with the doors.

In CA the seller is responsible for getting the car smog'd.

If the one/both converters are bad that can be bad news. CA law prohibits using "used" converters. You either have to buy factory converters (for my Boxster over $1000/each and this was 4 years ago). Some companies offer EPA/CARB approved replacement converters. The CARB web site (or maybe the EPA website) has a list of manufacturers.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:39 PM
Greyvdub
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
#1: Don't lock the car. Locking a convertible is asking for someone to cut your $700 top to protect a $200 stereo.

#2: I live in PA, I have no idea about smog. However, I don't recall seeing a lot of smog problems with Boxsters, and there are a lot of them on the road. So I expect that whatever it is will be an easy fix.
good point on #1!

Quick Reply: Trying to buy a 986 Boxster S