Sponsored by:

Courtesy/Dome Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 09:16 PM
vza
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Courtesy/Dome Light

99 Bosxter Base...I need to replace the dome light assembly because of a bad micro switch(windows don't fully close). So... I have a replacement but its a 2001 I believe. It has a nicer fixed dome light not the rickety one in the 99. Of course it has a different size connecter. The other connecters for the micro switch and infra red are the same. Was thinking of just fabricating a new harness. There are only 3 pins. I assume 1 common ground and 1 switched and 1 for continuous. Couldn't find the schematics in the factory serve. manual. Any thoughts about this. Thanks .....Hate that rickety one....ugh
Old 01-30-2019, 12:05 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by vza
99 Bosxter Base...I need to replace the dome light assembly because of a bad micro switch(windows don't fully close). So... I have a replacement but its a 2001 I believe. It has a nicer fixed dome light not the rickety one in the 99. Of course it has a different size connecter. The other connecters for the micro switch and infra red are the same. Was thinking of just fabricating a new harness. There are only 3 pins. I assume 1 common ground and 1 switched and 1 for continuous. Couldn't find the schematics in the factory serve. manual. Any thoughts about this. Thanks .....Hate that rickety one....ugh
The dome light I seem to recall was turned on when the car was unlocked or if one was in the car maybe when the ignition was turned off. Certainly when any door was opened. (At least this is how my current cars behave and I seem to recall the Boxster behaving the same way.)

If the dome light is on when the doors are closed that suggests a problem with the door latch switch. If the window doesn't fully close when the door is closed that's a pretty big finger pointing at the door latch switch. But there is a possibility the fault could be with the door lock controller/assembly.

Briefly, the tech told me and demo'd this to me. Pull either inside or outside handle but stop just short of activating the door latch release. The window should drop. Release the handle. The window should go back up.

Open the door and the window should drop and remain down all the time the door is open. Close the door and the window should go up once the door is closed.
Old 01-31-2019, 12:32 AM
vza
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks
Old 02-04-2019, 03:55 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

yea, the dome light will not fix your window drop issue. it's separate from the top latch switch

Quick Reply: Courtesy/Dome Light