PSS9 vs. JRZ

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004, 04:38 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSS9 vs. JRZ

I'm trying to decide between a JRZ and PSS9 suspension. Does any know of any reviews or spec pages that will provide the data to help me decide?

Has anyone here done either upgrade? I would like to hear about the results.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:57 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,748 Likes on 2,354 Posts

go with pss9's. if you want jrz triple adj, you should then get all spherical joints, slicks, magnesium wheels, gut out the whole car of excess wt and be racing. else, i dont' think you really get your money's worth with jrz. greg fishman can give you more info on jrz's i am sure.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:17 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments mooty. I was actually considering the two way adjustable JRZ's. As I believe the triple adjustable's have an external reservoir, which will bump me up into a class I don't want to be in.

I'm not sure about all those mods right off the bat. But I do plan to be racing this car by the end of March. Getting quotes on a cage as I write this .
Old 01-27-2004, 08:22 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

If you are planning on racing go on and get the JRZ's or Motons . If you don't you will be replacing the Pss9's within a season, I bet.

Best thing about JRZ's or Motons is that you can change spring rates without revalving or rebuilding them. I would suggest you look at the Moton CLubsports. Great value for what you get. Probably cost around $2500 compard to the "professional" version that runs over $4K.
Check with Steve at Rennsport Systems info@rennsportsystems.com he knows his stuff.

Actually all of the JRZ's and Motons have external reserviors, except for the single adjustable models. (not 100% sure if Moton makes single adjustables though)

http://www.rennsportsystems.com/moton.html
Old 01-28-2004, 11:55 AM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the reply and the info Greg. I was considering a Moton until I found out that they do not make a setup without an external reservior. I talked to some guys from Hartmann Motorsport in L.A. and they lead me to believe JRZ had a two-way adjustable shock that does not require an external reserviour. Since that does not sound like it was the truth, I guess I'm stuck with PSS9's. Oh well, I know a couple people with PSS9's on their 986S and they like them a lot.

Again, thanks for the help.
Old 01-28-2004, 02:26 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,748 Likes on 2,354 Posts

netmaniac, it wasn't clear to me that you are putting a cage in your car to race it. if you are RACING not just DE, i would do moton or jrz like greg mentioned. PSS9 is a bit soft on the track.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:19 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, it's not going to be a dedicated race car. At least not just yet, maybe in a year or so.

What makes a Moton so much better than a JRZ? As I understand it they are the exact same components just put together in a different plant.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:16 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Mike,

Everybody I have talked to about these types of shocks always says for the same money the Motons are the ticket. Reasons include, durability and quality control and customer service. I don't think anyone has mentioned that Motons are "faster".

I can't see how JRZ would have a double adjustable shock without an external reservior, but that sure doesn't mean it isn't true. See if they have any literature on them.

What are your limits on spring rates in the class you are currently in? If that is unlimited then I would look at a single adjustable shock. I am only familar with the JRZ's. I went that route and then later had them made into double adjustables by a shock engineer in New York, name is Joe Stimola.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:46 PM
ettsn
Pro

Moton and JRZ both make great dampers. So do Penske and Ohlins and a few others. Your best bet if you are serious about going racing, is to find a good suspension engineer and buy what they are comfortable working with.

-Paul
Old 02-03-2004, 04:38 AM
GTRdream
Intermediate

hey netmaniac
i had a euro pss9 if u r interested
complete just bolt on give a pm i seen u some pic
Old 02-05-2004, 07:27 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally posted by NetManiac
As I believe the triple adjustable's have an external reservoir, which will bump me up into a class I don't want to be in.
Are you sure you'll be bumped up a class with an external reservoir? The PCA rules read that, in a stock class, "shock absorbers are free providing they are the same type and use the same pick-up points, as supplied by the factory." A few days ago, I spoke with a Rennlister who races a 993 out in Chicago, and he said that Motons and JRZ's are legal and de riguer in stock, if you want to be competitive. He said that, unlike engine mods, the suspension is the one area in a stock class that is fairly liberal.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:03 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mark. Unfortunately there are only about 2 or 3 local PCA races a year here on the West Coast. But the POC has quite a few more. And their rules state:

26.2.3.10 Any shock absorber, and/or re-valving of shocks, is allowed, except race shocks (externally adjustable and/or external reservoir).

Which after re-reading looks like I might not be able to use PSS9's either. Wow, I guess that means H&R's. Cheaper sure, but it's almost like "What's the point?". I think I need to look into this a little more.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:08 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Mike,

Oh, okay, POC. Sorry, I thought you were doing PCA club racing.

Well, in some ways it's good since you'll spend less money. Theoretically, of course.
Old 02-09-2004, 05:24 PM
NetManiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, I am going to do as many PCA races as I can (in fact my first one is going to be this March). I might even be able to scrounge enough time and money together to make a few Mid-West races. Given the rules constraints in POC I might just bail on the idea and focus on PCA and maybe a few TCRA or NASA or something.

I put a lightweight flywheel and it bumped me into Production skipping over Improved completly. I was approximately 3.5 seconds off the pace of the other KP cars this past weekend in Vegas. Oh well.

Anyway, thanks all for your replies and help. I need to do some more homework.
Old 02-10-2004, 10:25 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Mike, I might have a solution for you...

I just bought a Boxster S and the previous owner had put in higher valved bilsteins (along with stiffer springs). They aren't externally adjustable. Spring rates are 600 pounds up front and 800 in the rear.

I would use it myself except that I'm upgrading from a 2.5L boxster and I put in Leda double adjustables with an external reservoir. I'm planning on moving that to my new car.

Quick Reply: PSS9 vs. JRZ