Sponsored by:

Rotella T6 5w/40 awesome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 06:15 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Rotella T6 5w/40 awesome!

So I run this in my 997 Turbo, and added a 986S for a track car.

I was getting clatter at start-up, and tried 20/50 according to Pedro, and it got a little worse.

I drained it after 1k miles and put in Rotella T6. Noise is gone and runs smooth.

The cool things is they sell it in 2.5 gallon jugs.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:09 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow993
So I run this in my 997 Turbo, and added a 986S for a track car.

I was getting clatter at start-up, and tried 20/50 according to Pedro, and it got a little worse.

I drained it after 1k miles and put in Rotella T6. Noise is gone and runs smooth.

The cool things is they sell it in 2.5 gallon jugs.
A little clatter upon start up is normal. Biggest contributor to this is owners who don't drive the car very often. For reducing the clatter -- more as a balm to the owner rather than a necessity to the engine -- Porsche techs recommended using Swepco 502 oil additive. I tried this in both of my cars (Boxster and 996 Turbo) and the engine's because a bit quieter. Not lots but some. Had to add 2 bottles to each engine though because one bottle was only sufficient to "treat" 5 quarts of oil and both the Boxster and Turbo engine held 9+ quarts of oil.

BTW, some people that have used that oil claim the noise returns in just a few K miles after the oil change. That Rotella oil is not a synthetic oil, but has a portion of mineral oil and the oil breaks down rather quickly.

'course, it is not Porsche approved. Bottom line is I would not have run that oil in my Boxster let alone my Porsche 996 Turbo.

Last couple of years I ran Mobil 1 5w-50 oil (not a typo for 15w50!) in both my Boxster and Turbo. I switched mainly due to the fact while it doesn't get very cold where I live it gets plenty hot, on occasion. ('cept this year, it has been rather cool, with none of that triple digit heat like we had last year.) But and I have to stress this I live where it doesn't get very cold so the "5w" was ok. If you live where it gets cold Porsche says to use 0w-40.

Might add with my Turbo with 5w-50 oil the hot idle oil pressure was unchanged from what it was with 0w-40 oil. The 5w-50 oil was not "thicker" per se just had a slightly better HTHS number than 0w-40.

However, if you decide to use a non approved oil for your Porsche you can just any rationale you want to choose which oil to use. That the Rotella oil comes in "cool" 2.5 gallon jugs is as a good a reason to use it as any, I guess. If you don't care about the oil's attributes.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:13 PM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

T6 is FULL Synthetic...

Numerous porsche turbo guys use it. Many have done oil test and it shows better zinc with great cleaning agents.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...a-t6-5w40.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...a-t6-5w40.html

I'm not sure what Rotella you mean.

I've run it in my 997TT for 30k miles... less consumption, and I'll post oil results as I just sent it in to blackstone.

I know clatter is common, but no clatter running a 5w/40 is great. Clatter means things aren't where they are supposed to be. Oh... let's not talk about Porsche knows best... IMS issue for a 10 year period and their agreement with Mobil 1.

Last edited by shadow993; 09-19-2018 at 02:01 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:26 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by shadow993
T6 is FULL Synthetic... unless it's false advertising

The Rotella "T" line of oils has several levels from all dino oil and semi-synthetic, up to T6 which is fully synthetic. Since I have my first Porsche, I have stuck with "approved" oils for now, but I have used T6 as my go-to oil in several motorcycles, a Miata, and a number of other cars. Shell markets the line of oils as suitable for high-temp, high stress oils, and they have built an exceptional reputation. I'll stick with one of the many 5W40 "approved" oils for the foreseeable future, but T6 is not a bad choice.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:40 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

The last Rotella oil I was able to get an MSDS for had it partially consisting of mineral oil.

When I search for an MSDS for the Rotella T6 5w-40 full synthetic oil all that I can find is this MSDS. Here's a link to the MSDS:

http://www.flagshiphawaii.com/msds/A...la_t6_5w40.pdf

Under section 2
COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTSBlend of polyolefins, highly-refined mineral oil and additives.The highly refined mineral oil contains <3% (w/w) DMSO-extract, according to IP346.
Last but not least the oil is classified as a *diesel* oil and the oil needs of a diesel engine are not the same as for an spark engine. Never understood why someone with a state of the art turbo charged spark engine would opt to run a diesel oil in the engine.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:45 PM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

t6 5w40 is good. its what i use and jet. com sells them even cheaper with free delivery

Quick Reply: Rotella T6 5w/40 awesome!