Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best diagnostic tools available to us?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Doug427
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best diagnostic tools available to us?

I'm new to Porsche and also to Rennlist, so I'm still on a steep learning curve. I have owned multiple Mercedes Benz vehicles, and I am aware of the STAR program that MB dealers use for diagnosing the cars. There are many versions of the STAR computer based program, with the applicable mulitiplexer box, available on the net, eBay, etc so we can have our own STAR setups at home.

I know I have seen two different Porsche dealer diagnostic setups mentioned on the internet. Are either of them commonly available as a ready to go package to owners without costing an arm and a leg? The MB STAR setups on the net commonly sell for about $750 including the computer it runs on and the multipex box. What is the best, most comprehensive setup available to us as owners, and where do we go to get one?

I found the Durametric setup using the search function, is that about as good as it gets? Have any of you used the iCarSoft for Porsche (assuming they have one)? I have one of them for M-B, and it's ok, not great.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:33 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

PST2 - discontinued but sometimes available on the used market like ebay
PIWIS - IIRC only rental and not financially sensible for a single car
Durametric - well supported in its legal versions, new versions require a specific cable, watch out for old versions and cloned cables sold on the used markets, come in versions limited to 3 vehicles (Enthusiast) and one for unlimited (Professional). Requires a Windows laptop
Old 02-22-2018, 08:59 AM
Doug427
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Forgive me please. I guess I am a bit slow on the uptake. I understand the Porsche systems (PST2 and PIWIS) are the real deal that can go in and reprogram things, keys, etc. I guess what I am not getting is the limitations where Durametric stops and the Porsche systems start. Durametric can read and clear codes, if I understand correctly. Most hand held OBDII units can do that as well. What can Durametric do over and above that, and what does it NOT do? I guess that's where my confusion lies. Where, if anywhere, does Durametric fill in the space between a generic OBDII reader and the Porsche systems? Thanks so much for your patience in bearing with yet another new guy.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:17 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug427
Forgive me please. I guess I am a bit slow on the uptake. I understand the Porsche systems (PST2 and PIWIS) are the real deal that can go in and reprogram things, keys, etc. I guess what I am not getting is the limitations where Durametric stops and the Porsche systems start. Durametric can read and clear codes, if I understand correctly. Most hand held OBDII units can do that as well. What can Durametric do over and above that, and what does it NOT do? I guess that's where my confusion lies. Where, if anywhere, does Durametric fill in the space between a generic OBDII reader and the Porsche systems? Thanks so much for your patience in bearing with yet another new guy.
I have a PST2, PIWIS2 and durametric pro in my shop. I honestly use the durametric more just because it is faster on a daily basis. Anything more involved I use the PIWIS or PST2 depending on year. The enthusiast version of durametric is limited to 3 cars, and it's functions are more limited as well in regards to changing settings etc. The pro version has more capabilities and I believe this is all spelled out on their website.

You can do some minor coding changes with durametric, but not module reprogramming/replacing, etc. You can read and erase codes, read all the actual engine values (cam deviations, etc) change settings like turning off seatbelt warnings, tpms sensors, yada yada. one thing it does not have on the newer 981+ cars is the oil filling procedure as the newer cars quite honestly have become a pain for changing oil and getting a final oil level reading. The PIWIS makes this very easy. Durametric has some quirks, like on the 987/997 oil reset light having to pull the fuse to the instrument cluster after resetting the light with the durametric. The newer cars sometimes you have to hit oil reset multiple times (had to do that on a 2012 cayenne this morning), before it will actually reset.

For the home user, a durametric pro will cover most of the things you will want to do. It does not program keys though, but how often does a home user need to do that?
Old 02-22-2018, 04:36 PM
mikefocke
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts

Federal law requires that independent shops can access the engine/emissions codes. An OBD2 code reader can do that.
Where the durametric adds code reader plus transmission, door/window/access, airbag, etc. Their comparison is here.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:02 PM
MB2Porsche
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you guys for shedding some light on Porsche scanners.

I was looking for a good scanner under $200. The best options I found so far is iCarsoft Por II. I also found this article that provided a wealth of information on Porsche scanners.

Has anyone used iCarsoft?

Last edited by MB2Porsche; 07-16-2019 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:09 AM
Sprog99
Intermediate

Hi Friends.

I`ve a problem to connect 997 GT3 RSR (2007) MS4.0 with Modas 3.12 and MSA-II (2.03).

Details:

After problems with the gearpoti we sent the ECU to Porsche and got it reprogrammed back (Max Müller).
Now the gear indicator works, but I can't get to the ECU with Modas anymore.
I get the message as you can see on the photo.

What can I do?
Who has the right files?

The current config files from Modas are: GT3_Customer_MS4_V3_K1Z.cfv and 4GT3CU1Z.a2v with seedMS4n.dll
Old 08-16-2019, 12:33 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you really need the best there is? I have one of these
Amazon Amazon

For stuff in the driveway, it is sufficient. I've used it to scan, clear codes, and reset airbag codes. It's inexpensive, updateable, and comes with a case.

I also have a Durametric, which I am sharing. Still haven't used it, but it's reputed to be pretty good.

For my Toyota, I had a pirated version of Techstream and a miniVCI cable to link to a laptop. Wish such a thing existed for cheap for Porsches.
Old 09-24-2019, 07:52 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
I have a PST2, PIWIS2 and durametric pro in my shop. I honestly use the durametric more just because it is faster on a daily basis. Anything more involved I use the PIWIS or PST2 depending on year. The enthusiast version of durametric is limited to 3 cars, and it's functions are more limited as well in regards to changing settings etc. The pro version has more capabilities and I believe this is all spelled out on their website.

You can do some minor coding changes with durametric, but not module reprogramming/replacing, etc. You can read and erase codes, read all the actual engine values (cam deviations, etc) change settings like turning off seatbelt warnings, tpms sensors, yada yada. one thing it does not have on the newer 981+ cars is the oil filling procedure as the newer cars quite honestly have become a pain for changing oil and getting a final oil level reading. The PIWIS makes this very easy. Durametric has some quirks, like on the 987/997 oil reset light having to pull the fuse to the instrument cluster after resetting the light with the durametric. The newer cars sometimes you have to hit oil reset multiple times (had to do that on a 2012 cayenne this morning), before it will actually reset.

For the home user, a durametric pro will cover most of the things you will want to do. It does not program keys though, but how often does a home user need to do that?
Are you using the "clone" versions of the PST2, PIWIS2 in your shop?

I currently have a durametric pro and find it very limited for my 991.1 beyond resetting the service intervals. I am very interested in either a PST2, PIWIS2 ( unsure of the differences between them) for all of the extended capabilities, guided fault plans, oil level and the ability to properly bleed to cooling systems on the 991 / 981 generation cars.

Question is how and where can I find one? There seems to be a multitude of aftermarket ones out there but I am not sure of which one to go with. Any help or guidance in the right direction would be most helpful.

Thank you!
Old 11-19-2022, 03:57 PM
IWOA911
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Hello all! I’m the new owner of a 2013 C2S and I like others are looking for a scanner. I’m a DIYer and would like to have something that diagnoses faults and assists in narrowing down the problem without breaking the bank. Maybe that means the company has a data base/ tech support line??? Thanks in advance!!!
Old 08-08-2023, 10:44 PM
WanderScott
3rd Gear

Hello All,

I am at my wits end looking at various scanners and would really appreciate input/advice from people who have purchased/used these various scanners. Primary application vehicles are 2009 Cayman Base and 2014 Cayenne Diesel. From what I have found in my research scanner options include(and most of these brands offer a dizzying array of different models)
  • iCarsoft (POR II, POR V3, CR Max for all makes which is attractive but $330)
  • Durametric Enthusiast $287 (understand cannot read live data in 2009 2.9L. Don't know if I would be missing anything).
  • Foxwell NT530
  • Torque (iPhone app) not Porsche specific
  • Launch
  • Autel MaxDiag - Seems legit and trusted brand.
  • iCarScan
  • Snap-On
  • Actron - Advance Auto. There are also various cheap OBD scanners out there for 20-$30 from Autozone/Advance/O'Reilly
  • Centech - Harbor Freight
  • Kingbolen - Recommended by my Indy but I have not seen listed anywhere on Rennlist. Think it requires subscription for software after a year.

I think that I have decided that this whole thing is a racket. I suppose what is going on is that Porsche doesn't want to unveil their secrets and wants everyone to go to the dealer for service, and a bunch of independent companies are coming behind and basically reverse engineering the programming and software. So their work and "software" is proprietary and they just sell a device as a vehicle for their software. So I guess every scanner company out there is reinventing the wheel and competing with one other.

That being said, I think I am just going to go with the iCarsoft POR V3 for $145 on Amazon. I would somewhat rather not go with iCarsoft because they are obviously Chinese even though based in DC, I haven't seen glowing reviews about Durametric Enthusiast based in Oregon for $287. I think I could get a over-rev report with the Durametric, but it sounds like users have been disappointed beyond that. And, I realized that a the track, i'd rather not carry a laptop down there. Easy enough to carry a little pouch with the iCarsoft (granted I will be at track with Miata and only clearing OBD codes if any).

And additionally, my purpose is quite narrow. I am just looking to reset oil/service lights in a 2009 Cayman Base and 2014 Cayenne Diesel. Beyond that it may be interesting to do slightly deeper diagnostic work as needed, but I am not looking to recode anything. My Indy scared me with a warning the other day about bi-directional scanners and bricking modules, but after I researched it, I really have no plans to get into the weeds and try to reprogram how long the dome lights stay on or horn beeps at lock.

But, at the same time, I currently plan on keeping the Cayman forever, and the Durametric seems like the more legit long term upgradable and supported Porsche and almost model specific tool. I am going to lose anything going with an iCarsoft POR V3? With the iCarsoft POR V3, it will also allow me to pull codes and clear on the 2001 Miata NB and my DD 2007 Silverado 1500. To my knowledge, not possible with the Durametric. Yes, not a huge deal to drive down to Autozone or buy a cheap OBD scanner for $20, but its a hassle and against the principle of the matter right?!

There, that is my rant. Any input/advise/experience/recommendation with scanners for vintage 2009-2014 Porsches would be much appreciated. My current plan is just to get an iCarsoft POR V3 even though it puts some $ in Xi's pocket. Cheers.
Old 08-08-2023, 11:38 PM
CharlesLS
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

First let me start by stating that I do not publicly endorse any brand in particular. Not because I don't have biases, but because I am a firm believer that if someone is talking about how amazing fantastic a particular brand is online you should probably assume they are shilling. I try to keep out of that game.

I have one of the higher end Autel Maxisys scanners. I also have the brick and mortar $100 Innovo scanners. The innovo scanner could only pull emissions codes but did read live data. The Maxisys scanner could get into all the modules, and was extremely helpful for fixing my problems. However, there were several things it actually could not touch. Namely the airbag module. Also it could not re-key or program keyfob. Unless you are a auto tech, something like the Maxisys scanner is probably overkill. For what I paid, I would have preferred that more of the features worked.

Important notice, there are a TON of scam websites out there for Autel in particular. You can usually identify them by the Chinese address at the bottom of the page, and a whatsapp number instead of a real number. Be cautious. Safest bet is go to a brick and mortar store and make them order one in for you. You pay more, but authenticity is now their problem, not yours.

Yes, not a huge deal to drive down to Autozone or buy a cheap OBD scanner for $20, but its a hassle and against the principle of the matter right?!
$20 parts store scanners are really only used for mandatory regulatory compliance code reading. That being said, if you are a good detective, that is often times all one needs. . . . I doubt you will be able to find one that will reset the change oil light, but I remain optimistic.

[...] even though it puts some $ in Xi's pocket.
Unavoidable no matter what electronics you buy these days.

Closing thought: There is usually a procedure in your user manual for how to reset your oil change code without code reader. Have you investigated that?

Last edited by CharlesLS; 08-08-2023 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2023, 09:10 PM
WanderScott
3rd Gear

I have looked through the manuals of both the Cayenne and the 987.2 Cayman, and neither of them makes any mention of being able to reset the oil light in the car. Only to "to car to authorized Porsche dealer". Suppose that this is the whole purpose and need to getting a specific scanner, that it is able to address my needs of reseting oil/service in the Cayman/Cayenne. It is just a want of mine that I can also use it on some other cars to read clear codes. It appears that there is no one "solves all problems and does everything" scanner. I suppose that would be PIWIS for like $2000. I'm definitely not going that route and as I said, my needs are really quite narrow and I am not planning to look at cam deviations or get too deep into anything. I just don't like the idea of hooking up China to the Porsche. Might get a virus in there.

With all that said, think I am just going to get the iCarsoft POR V3 for now. Will see how it goes. If anyone thinks I am making big mistake and should just go with the Durametric, let me know. Thanks.

Cheers.
Old 08-10-2023, 04:25 PM
CharlesLS
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by WanderScott
I have looked through the manuals of both the Cayenne and the 987.2 Cayman, and neither of them makes any mention of being able to reset the oil light in the car. Only to "to car to authorized Porsche dealer". Suppose that this is the whole purpose and need to getting a specific scanner, that it is able to address my needs of reseting oil/service in the Cayman/Cayenne. It is just a want of mine that I can also use it on some other cars to read clear codes. It appears that there is no one "solves all problems and does everything" scanner. I suppose that would be PIWIS for like $2000. I'm definitely not going that route and as I said, my needs are really quite narrow and I am not planning to look at cam deviations or get too deep into anything. I just don't like the idea of hooking up China to the Porsche. Might get a virus in there.

With all that said, think I am just going to get the iCarsoft POR V3 for now. Will see how it goes. If anyone thinks I am making big mistake and should just go with the Durametric, let me know. Thanks.

Cheers.

Let us know how the iCarsoft POR V3 turns out. Certainly interested in finding something that can re-key, or otherwise much around with the central locking unit more than my Autel can.

(My biggest complaint about the Durametric is that the enth. version is VIN locked, which degrades resale value and limits how much I can test it out to see if I like it. I don't play the VIN locked game.)
Old 04-21-2024, 03:50 PM
BuddyIronwood
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old thread I know but did you get the ICarsoft POR V3? what was you're experience like. I have been researching and researching and all of these tools seem suspect for some reason just looking for anyone that picked one up.

Quick Reply: Best diagnostic tools available to us?