Notices
Boxster & Boxster S (986) Forum 1996-2004

Best diagnostic tools available to us?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2024 | 05:57 PM
WanderScott
3rd Gear

Hello, yes, I purchased the iCarsoft POR V3 and have been happy with it. It has done essentially what I bought it for, and that is to reset the oil service lights in the Cayenne and the 987.2 Cayman. Kinda funny, at the end of the day, just to buy a tool to make the light turn off on the dash, but that is what I bought it for, and that is what it does. I know that there is additional functionality beyond only resetting oil/service lights for respective covered Porsche models, but it is likely that I will not use it for that. I also like that is has OBD reader function for all cars, so I have been able to read and delete trouble codes for other cars.

So I would say that I am a happy customer as it has done what I bought it for. But I would also say that it is obviously Chinese and that doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies. But has worked for the intended purpose. Cheers.
Old 06-22-2024 | 08:23 PM
43marcus
7th Gear

Default Durametric vs iCarsoft

i enthusiatically bought a Duramtric cable reader a few years ago when i bought my Boxster. I was relatively happy with it and its ability to diagnose and clear codes including airbag codes. when i bought my 2008 Cayenne i was happy with the performance of Durasoftt but last November when I started using it on my 2014 Cayenne diesel it would lock up as it was going through its diagnosis. i sent Durametric emails including the logs generated by their tool but i never received any resolution. I have finally given up on them after six months of no customer service.
I purchased an iCarsoft Pro multi-system car reader and so far it is doing what durametric failed at.
Old 06-23-2024 | 09:36 AM
petee_c
Drifting

I got an Autel MK808 back in November 2022 for a winter beater '06 Civic I bought to help diagnose some ABS codes. I have yet to try it on my 2001 Boxster S.... I will report back when/if I need to use it on that.....
Old 06-25-2024 | 07:39 PM
JCtx
Three Wheelin'

Also curious about that. I have the V2 now, and it's limited. Plus don't know if it'll work on the new (to us) '22 Macan GTS CPO. It did work fine to code a battery and reset maintenance warning on an '18 Macan Sport Edition (2.0T). Also have an upcoming '24 Cayman Style Edition. Curious if the V2 can even read basic OBD2 codes, let alone more specific ones on such new cars (especially the '24). I probably won't need it anytime soon, since the GTS was just certified, and it still has one pre-paid service, so I'd have to work on it until 2 years. And the new car will have 1 included service. The reason I'm asking about the V3, and the Durametric cost and features, is to see if I could code the Soundaktor volume, rather than having to disconnect the fuse (so it doesn't throw a soft code -it does throw a soft code). And also to be able to read modules and troubleshoot the car if I ever have to. I don't like to take my vehicles to a dealer unless it's absolutely necessary. Thanks gang.

Last edited by JCtx; 06-25-2024 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Best diagnostic tools available to us?