Notices

Porsche exclusive options documentation

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 09:27 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by cretinx
lookieloo what found their way into my car . . .

IMO, you're about to ruin it for the rest of us. As far as I know, the euro GT3 Recaro seats were never offered in the US. Your replicas are an even further stretch of the intent of the rule.

Here's the tequipment catalog going back to 1985 -> http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...EQ_KATALOG.pdf

The sizes & offset for the Carrera Sport wheels matching the monroney label in post 4 are on page 142. p/n 997.362.156.55 F & 997.362.160.50 R.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:58 AM
cretinx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ToSi
IMO, you're about to ruin it for the rest of us. As far as I know, the euro GT3 Recaro seats were never offered in the US. Your replicas are an even further stretch of the intent of the rule.

Here's the tequipment catalog going back to 1985 -> http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...EQ_KATALOG.pdf

The sizes & offset for the Carrera Sport wheels matching the monroney label in post 4 are on page 142. p/n 997.362.156.55 F & 997.362.160.50 R.
A) Did you read the third post in this thread?

B) How can it get worse than it already is? Our cars are uncompetitively classed, we've been extended this offer in order to make our cars remotely competitive.

C) As previously stated, until we actually start winning (which we won't, because we're uncompetitively classed and they don't make the RE71r in sizes we can actually use) nobody's going to care.

D) Given that "street tires" now cost as much as Hoosiers, I'm likely to move to getting my *** kicked in ASP anyways.
Old 04-29-2015, 12:50 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

we've been extended this offer in order to make our cars remotely competitive.
An SEB member posted on another forum directly contradicting this statement:

The problem is that today, if you can order a car with a part and the part gets installed on the car at the factory or in the port, and the car gets delivered through the US dealer, and anyone else could order the car that way too... Its legal. It doesn't matter if Mercedes has a kickass new car building system that allows a buyer to pay an extra $60k to be able to mix and match parts in their shorts at home and only one ever gets made... If the factory puts it together that way, we already say that's ok.

So if you don't like this, and I'm frankly not that comfortable with it either, then write in with how to fix it. Outside of "F*** you, we hate Porsche so we're not going to follow our own rules and won't allow this", there was basically no other answer to this one.

That does NOT mean the rules can't be changed.
Unrelated to this specific point, but obviously relevant to this thread, he then continues:

Now, as to the example of Boxster wheels... If I were going to try and run wider wheels on my Boxster, I for God DAMNED sure would be bringing lots and lots of documentation that proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the car could have been ordered and delivered through the US dealer system that way. I'd also be ready to explain why all of a sudden I could produce that documentation when 10 or so years ago folks that were actively campaigning the cars at a national level were unable to do so, despite being very very motivated to find a legal way to run wider wheels. That's not to say its impossible... Its not. But I would want iron-clad documentation.

"street tires" now cost as much as Hoosiers
Here's something to chew on: if Tire A and Tire B cost the same to purchase, but Tire A has double the competitive runs as Tire B, which tire is cheaper over the course of a season?
Old 04-29-2015, 03:21 PM
cretinx
Racer

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
Here's something to chew on: if Tire A and Tire B cost the same to purchase, but Tire A has double the competitive runs as Tire B, which tire is cheaper over the course of a season?
Nobody knows how long the RE71R or Rival S will last, but the reports that I've seen aren't exactly thrilling.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:38 PM
cretinx
Racer

AAAAND if I could run in STU this would all be a non-issue.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:56 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I like how the SEB quote PedalFaster shared is basically begging people to find a way to not let us run exclusive.

I still have to go with the bigfoot / cow tipping hypothesis. If gt3 buckets were orderable to the US, we would have seen them. The sticker earlier in the thread is from an Italian car, according to the 40th anniversary group that provided the photo. I'm sure some homework on codes on the sheet would show it wasn't a US car.

Will anyone at any event short of nationals question that? Probably not. Depends on how comfortable you are with the gray area here. I'll probably continue doing what I've been doing so far- running the gt3 bucket all year and then putting in the stock seat at Dixie or any other tour events, just to be safe. I for one am glad someone else is trying the gt3 buckets so we can see what happens!
Old 04-30-2015, 08:57 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
I for one am glad someone else is trying the gt3 buckets so we can see what happens!
Nothing is going to happen unless someone goes through the trouble of protesting. But then that would be being a bit of a dick.

Sob stories of "my car isn't classed competitively" are no excuse to cheat, neither is justifying it by saying "well, it doesn't give much of a performance advantage anyways."

This sport is supposed to be self policing. Don't cheat, don't be a dick. If you really believe that the race buckets came from the factory in the US for your year, then go for it. If you're not 101% positive, take them out for preferably all events, but for sure at least events that matter.

Locally, I'm ok with some gray area stuff, especially with newer drivers. If you're serious enough to play on the big stage, show the respect to bring a legit car.

/Thursday morning angry rant
Old 04-30-2015, 12:29 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by burglar
Locally, I'm ok with some gray area stuff, especially with newer drivers. If you're serious enough to play on the big stage, show the respect to bring a legit car.
+1

Also, if you deliberately play in a gray area (which is what you're doing), then you have no right to be upset if / when you get protested on it. That's not bad form on the part of the protestor, but rather often a necessary step to clarify the rules.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:58 PM
cretinx
Racer

Think of it this way - there is literally nothing to lose here.

I go, get protested, win, we get to use these seats.

I go, get protested, lose, I take the seats out.

We can't be any worse off than we are now, so there is only a possible upside.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:48 PM
XPC5
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've served on nationals protest committees, and also been the protester and protested, and have served on the SEB.

The following are the realities of the process:
- Your documentation is only good until someone (who may be protesting you) comes up with something better
- Winning one protest, at one event, does not mean you wont' get protested, and possibly lose, later, if new evidence/information is found
- Go with your gut, eg. we have all seen XRR or X51 cars in the flesh on US soil. I would feel ok to good about running those combo's. The seats are a stretch of reality, and will cause some heartburn on the grid.
- Everybody loses at a protest, it is a difficult, stressful process, and all it changes is the final results at ONE event. Even if you win you feel soiled.

Come to ASP, all the problems can be fixed, Hoosiers last much longer on camber corrected, well suspended cars. Light flywheel and engine mods feel great. The car will be more fun to use in every other venue. And finally, Hoosiers feel better everywhere....
Old 04-30-2015, 05:47 PM
majormojo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XPC5
Come to ASP, all the problems can be fixed, Hoosiers last much longer on camber corrected, well suspended cars. Light flywheel and engine mods feel great. The car will be more fun to use in every other venue. And finally, Hoosiers feel better everywhere....
I agree with all of that, but what about the drive to/from events? I often travel 5 hrs to attend events; I'm not going to do that on Hoosiers. So my options are:

1. Run in ASP on street tires...
2. Trailer tires with the Cayman. Yech.
3. Trailer the car to events. Did that with a CSP Miata for a few years, don't like the idea of going back to that expense and hassle just yet.

So while your points are all correct, moving to ASP brings a big change in event logistics for some people.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:59 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by majormojo
I agree with all of that, but what about the drive to/from events? I often travel 5 hrs to attend events; I'm not going to do that on Hoosiers. So my options are:

1. Run in ASP on street tires...
2. Trailer tires with the Cayman. Yech.
3. Trailer the car to events. Did that with a CSP Miata for a few years, don't like the idea of going back to that expense and hassle just yet.

So while your points are all correct, moving to ASP brings a big change in event logistics for some people.
It would interesting to see the difference between A6's and RE-71R's on an ASP car....might be closer than we think??
Old 05-01-2015, 11:38 AM
Joe Ricard
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pfftttt. no not even close. At least not with the talent of people like Stan and Su.

In my opinion there are possibly 2 different levels being referenced here. The Serious Business National level, and the Local postage stamp level.

1st is do what it takes to win, be it trailer, hoosiers, 4K shocks to hire a hot shoe to drive your car.

2nd is almost run what ya brung as long as it's fun and nobody cares.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:19 PM
cretinx
Racer

Well, I have a co-driver who can lug tires - so ASP may be the plan.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:34 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Ricard
Pfftttt. no not even close. At least not with the talent of people like Stan and Su.

In my opinion there are possibly 2 different levels being referenced here. The Serious Business National level, and the Local postage stamp level.

1st is do what it takes to win, be it trailer, hoosiers, 4K shocks to hire a hot shoe to drive your car.

2nd is almost run what ya brung as long as it's fun and nobody cares.
There have been a lot of championships won on underprepped with $500 koni yellows. Prep may be the tie-breaker between similarly skilled drivers, but skill trumps almost all else.

Quick Reply: Porsche exclusive options documentation