Anyone going to/ already at nationals?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Matt Murray
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rad, good thing you're not biased. LOL

Actually that group is a good mix. Certainly the Cayman, 911 40, or the Boss might get it done. Even a well prepped C5 too. Sadly the M3 is a bit porky and the 1M is an unknown.

Tell ya what, get me a ride in a 911 40 and we'll go head to head with you in the Cayman. LOL Winner buys the wine.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:22 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Murray
The '04 Anniversary might be the car for the class. Need a co-driver?
Well my girlfriend wants a shot at ASL...what I really need is some wheels/tires and a tow vehicle.

I already have some konis but have not gotten a FSB yet. I also need to email the SCCA about allowing the IMS Bearing mod in stock class. Obviously not a performance mod but it would disqualify you at nationals, especially if you won.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:55 PM
Matt Murray
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Trailer hitch on the 911 pulling a Trailex Tire Toter. I own one. I am leasing it to a GT-3 owner (who apparently has sold the GT-3 for a Cayman).

Not knowing what the IMS deal is, if it is like the old 911 tensioners of the seventies, though no performance advantage, they are not legal. If it is a TSB from PCNA, then it is legal.

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Well my girlfriend wants a shot at ASL...what I really need is some wheels/tires and a tow vehicle.

I already have some konis but have not gotten a FSB yet. I also need to email the SCCA about allowing the IMS Bearing mod in stock class. Obviously not a performance mod but it would disqualify you at nationals, especially if you won.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:10 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Isn't the IMS issue rather moot in this case, since aggressive driving properly lubricates the bearings and dramatically decreases failure rate? I thought the cause was pinpointed to be largely a result of underdriving the cars- the one thing Porsche didn't test, and that autocrossers don't typically do.

Last edited by sjfehr; 09-07-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Matt Murray
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

IMS stands for? (International Motor Speedway?)

Aggressive? Naw, just driven on Sundays.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Grantsfo
Racer

Received 248 Likes on 88 Posts

Hey Rad, That FP boxster owes lots of successful development to you! Thanks again for all your tips. Erik didnt do too much more to the car other than put bigger taller A6's under the car. Slight spring change to go back to A6 from my slick setup. Have to say you were right about taller tires as the car pulled fine!

With a 2.7 liter built motor in that car next year I cant see anyone in FP touching a driver like Vivek or Erik if he were to drive it. Heck with more power even somone like me could potentially get into the trophies in that car. Just need to find somone who can build a M96 race motor from a 2.7 block!
Old 09-07-2011, 11:21 PM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was there, just not in the Porsche.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:22 PM
Matt Murray
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Apparently. Nice ride (if the one in your avatar).
Old 09-08-2011, 01:41 AM
Grantsfo
Racer

Here is my slow butt on West course

Old 09-08-2011, 03:54 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Grantsfo
Hey Rad, That FP boxster owes lots of successful development to you! Thanks again for all your tips. Erik didnt do too much more to the car other than put bigger taller A6's under the car. Slight spring change to go back to A6 from my slick setup. Have to say you were right about taller tires as the car pulled fine!

With a 2.7 liter built motor in that car next year I cant see anyone in FP touching a driver like Vivek or Erik if he were to drive it. Heck with more power even somone like me could potentially get into the trophies in that car. Just need to find somone who can build a M96 race motor from a 2.7 block!
Grant, I'm glad every tip worked out. Your ex-Boxster needed tall tires, as it was running out of gear frequently, and A6 works great at Lincoln. It is great you got the chance to drive at Nationals in your own creation.

I couldn't make it this year, despite of having two very competitive cars. When I have the time, I don't have the car, when I have the car, I don't have the time.

I would rather run the Boxster at 1,900 lbs with a 2.5 and keep working on making it lighter. A 2.7 adds too much weight, and when cars are that light, 100+ lbs become very noticeable on handling, and traction becomes a new problem. Erik should put one of those big spoiler, it is going to help a lot on such a light car.
Old 09-08-2011, 04:05 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I also need to email the SCCA about allowing the IMS Bearing mod in stock class. Obviously not a performance mod but it would disqualify you at nationals, especially if you won.
You won't get an allowance for the IMS mod. Even if the 911 IMS mod isn't a performance improvement, they've never made reliability allowances for specific cars in Stock in the past, and are extremely unlikely to start doing so now. It's even more unlikely that they'd allow engine bearing changes for all cars, as that would open an expensive, performance enhancing can of worms.

So -- write your letter if you want, but have realistic expectations going in.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:10 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I can think of one reliability enhancement allowance: rear shock mounts on E46 BMWs. It is legal to install upgraded rear shock mounts like those made by TC Kline on e46 BMWs in stock class. This was due to the common failure of these mounts which resulted in shocks popping up into the trunk right through the carpet. There are a few more exceptions but they usually only make them for really popular cars.

Seeing as the SCCA actively sets the rules to make sure that porsches and other "fancy" cars can't be competitive in a class (like not allowing Porsche in any street touring class with the recent STR exceptions, thanks a lot), they will probably shoot down any request to get an exception. And porsche releasing a TSB admitting that there is a Intermediate Shaft Bearing instant-engine-death problem on its beloved 911, well that would be equally preposterous.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:48 PM
Grantsfo
Racer

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Grant, I'm glad every tip worked out. Your ex-Boxster needed tall tires, as it was running out of gear frequently, and A6 works great at Lincoln. It is great you got the chance to drive at Nationals in your own creation.

I couldn't make it this year, despite of having two very competitive cars. When I have the time, I don't have the car, when I have the car, I don't have the time.

I would rather run the Boxster at 1,900 lbs with a 2.5 and keep working on making it lighter. A 2.7 adds too much weight, and when cars are that light, 100+ lbs become very noticeable on handling, and traction becomes a new problem. Erik should put one of those big spoiler, it is going to help a lot on such a light car.
You havent seen the last of me on FP boxster builds. I wanted to start fresh and build a dedicated AX car this time. Likely going to start next year on serious FP build with no compromises. Cage on my first car was road race cage as I thought I might do some EP driving in the car. I learned a lot from this car that I will do differntly with dedicated AX car. I'm going to likely build that elusive 1900 lb Boxster next. Probably less than 1900 lbs so I can balast the front. Erik I think is stuck with 2100 lb car due to fact he will run it as an EP road race car as well. We were 140 lbs overweight at Lincoln. 2.7 makes sense for him. As he can switch motors from 2.5 for EP to 2.7 for FP.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:22 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can think of one reliability enhancement allowance: rear shock mounts on E46 BMWs. It is legal to install upgraded rear shock mounts like those made by TC Kline on e46 BMWs in stock class.
Sort of. There's no E46-specific rule; there was a clarification to the pre-existing rule published indicating that some changes to the mounts are allowed. From Appendix F:

SHOCK BUSHINGS
For E36 and E46 BMW’s, 13.5.B permits the removal of the shock
bushing from the rear shock upper mounting plate (e.g. via drilling,
cutting, burning out the bushing) and replacing it with another bushing. This also includes shock bushings located in control arms, etc.
This does not allow other modifications to the plate itself or use of an
alternate plate.
I think we're agreeing on the core point, though -- it's very unlikely that there will be an allowance made for changing the 911's IMS bearing.

Quick Reply: Anyone going to/ already at nationals?