Notices

Georgia Autocross - Peachstate Region

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:18 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Georgia Autocross - Peachstate Region

Registration has been very low. The first one only had about 50 cars total...the next two are already open for registration and barely have a handful.

Last year there were ton's of cars driving. Why the low attendance???
Old 06-13-2011, 10:01 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Around us, AX are a fickle bunch.

1) they tend to be cheapsters.. has there been a change in rates?

2) blame it on the economy, everyone else does

3) what "competition" was there for the event? ie, was SCCA running the same day? Any other car clubs on the same day? I know when the local PCA is the only event we get 50-60+ people. When SCCA is running, we get about 10-20 less. If SCCA, AND another other local club is running we might only get 20-30 total.

4) AXers are parents too.. Graduations, Sporting tournements etc can all impact attendance.

5) Any change in venue?

Most regions have a "core" group.. Have there been any "core" defections?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:26 AM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by racer
Around us, AX are a fickle bunch.
1) they tend to be cheapsters.. has there been a change in rates?
Nope - but if people don't sign up they may have to.

2) blame it on the economy, everyone else does
Damn Economy!

3) what "competition" was there for the event? ie, was SCCA running the same day? Any other car clubs on the same day? I know when the local PCA is the only event we get 50-60+ people. When SCCA is running, we get about 10-20 less. If SCCA, AND another other local club is running we might only get 20-30 total.
Hmm...good question. We had 50 and normally have 80+...maybe I shouldn't worry. :-)

4) AXers are parents too.. Graduations, Sporting tournements etc can all impact attendance.
I could see the first one being light - right after school year end.

5) Any change in venue?
It was a lot further than our last one. It is a normal AutoX spot for SCCA and PCA. But not close.

6) Most regions have a "core" group.. Have there been any "core" defections?
I saw a few of the regulars...but it was only my 2nd one. Not sure who they normally are.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:32 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, lets hope it was just an anomoly then.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:15 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

My $0.02:

AMS is a long way from the north side of town. I live close to downtown, so not too bad for me, but I feel for those in Roswell and far northern lands.

That said, when the SCCA runs there, we have 100++ cars running two sessions, and it takes all they can do to get in 4 runs. But, the SCCA crowd is used to driving long distances to auto-x. They are a serious lot.

The BMWCCA is having an auto-x in Stockbridge near AMS on the same day, and they have about 40 cars registered as of today, so having a 50 car field at that distance away from town may be par for the course.

One factor I hate to mention - from last year the PCA got a reputation of running slow tight courses, and the SCCA and BMWCCA folks don't want that at all. I have been spreading the word that this has changed, but it may take some time to attract a visitor following, if that's what PCA wants to help pay for the venue.
Old 06-15-2011, 11:27 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

The last course last year was great, the first one this year was very good as well. Following the lines closely of other autox judging by the marks on the track. Talking with bob, he wants to make this year like they used to be and open them up, as per your point.

Either way, they are fun and I hope more people sign up. I'd hate to have to start hanging with the beemers. :-)
Old 06-16-2011, 06:45 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Either way, they are fun and I hope more people sign up. I'd hate to have to start hanging with the beemers. :-)
Woa - you are right about th low registration. I just checked and only 12 cars are registered and no one is confirmed. I would guess we need at least 24 entrants just to man the event for two small run groups. Maybe I better register for that BMWCCA event too.

BTW, it is "Bimmer" when the subject is BMW cars, and "Beamer" for BMW motor bikes. You wouldn't want them to say "Porsh" would you?
Old 06-16-2011, 07:20 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Where is that bmwcca registration?

I still say porsh sometimes.....shhhh
Old 06-16-2011, 10:35 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Where is that bmwcca registration?
Local BMWCCA and SCCA both use:
http://www.motorsportreg.com/

It's just as clunky as the clubregistration.net site.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:37 AM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

I have to say, this was one of the best autocross courses I have ever driven, and I have run a lot of them. Nice fast sections with heavy braking zones, and medium fast technical sections - it was ideal.

I never imagined I would run a course going into third gear with the tall gearing in this Boxster.

And kudos to the management for letting me shift my work group so I could run the BMW event on the same day.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:41 AM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

One of the clubs here in the Dallas area, the S2000 club, runs a number of events on Saturdays and gets a good turn out because of it.

Quick Reply: Georgia Autocross - Peachstate Region