Notices

Autox course maps, large format.

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 10:20 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts
Default Autox course maps, large format.

OK, now a course designer for NCR Porsche. I live somewhat a bit in a design world, spend many hours in front of a computer doing my thing. Next event I plan on bringing a 36" x 48" scale plot of the course. I don't plan on showing it until AFTER everybody gets their course walk.
Any thoughts?
Old 07-16-2010, 04:04 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you asking for course maps? I do have a couple of very good ones...
Old 07-16-2010, 06:08 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

really.. what is the question here?

Sounds like you are just going to reveal the map AFTER the course walk.. I don't get it.

As for scale, that's not a big deal imho. Besides, even if your map is to scale, who's to say they laid is out as perfectly. Also, I find sometimes some gates get moved/tweaked due to course issues (like potholes, "new" bad pavement, or other issues) sometimes there is no choice but to tweak the course during the actual set up period.

Oh, and back when i started AX there were NO course maps made available . if you wanted a map you drew it yourself. IMHO, not being able to rely on a map makes you a better ax'er. Unless its some "silly course" with multiple repeats/loops, I prefer NOT having a course map handed to me.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

So Scruffy, are you going to tape it up on the trailer? Could be very useful, help to visualize and anticipate. Might be a good tool for instructors as well.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

The course is laid out in advance by myself. Input from Chair and Co designer adjusted. I already have a huge stack of Devens course maps from 07 and 08. Any field corrections will be noted after course setup. The plan to post it AFTER the course walk is so that drivers who get here early will not be studing a map that may have corrections added after setup. DUH! I do not believe making a map while you walk the course helps you at all. FREEKIN LOOK AHEAD DUDDIES!
Any way, ful size map will be valuable as a teaching aid for those who are learning the sport. Ever tell a novice to get early at the Clam Shell just before the Chicago box? Novice looks at you like you are from another planet.

3' x 4' scale plot is in the truck and tomorrow will be the shake down trial.
Old 07-16-2010, 11:00 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Deadeye
So Scruffy, are you going to tape it up on the trailer? Could be very useful, help to visualize and anticipate. Might be a good tool for instructors as well.
I have just a few smaller prints I can give out.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:21 AM
jmazz
Instructor

Thanks Scruffy. I really enjoyed the course. See you at the next one.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:35 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jmazz
Thanks Scruffy. I really enjoyed the course. See you at the next one.
yep, great course, nice corners, afternoon slalom with middle gate was a bit too long probably to my uneducated taste but all in all it was a lot of fun.

Next time Scruffy please make sure you change outside temperature to 82 degrees with slight overcast and then it will be just perfect.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by utkinpol
yep, great course, nice corners, afternoon slalom with middle gate was a bit too long probably to my uneducated taste but all in all it was a lot of fun.

Next time Scruffy please make sure you change outside temperature to 82 degrees with slight overcast and then it will be just perfect.
You just cannot please some people, or you try and they don't show up. Set up a fun and crazy course yesterday, and also arranged for the cooler weather you asked for, and you choose to not come. Even got the off and on white cloud cover.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:18 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
You just cannot please some people, or you try and they don't show up. Set up a fun and crazy course yesterday, and also arranged for the cooler weather you asked for, and you choose to not come. Even got the off and on white cloud cover.
my tires are ruined now after DE. i am waiting for heat gun to arrive from amazon and will start cleaning them off, right now they are not drivable...

plus my family was totally pissed after i had fun for 3 consequent days in a row.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:39 AM
jmazz
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Yes, it was perfect weather. I did have trouble getting heat in my tires in the morning but the afternoon was great. The course was really fun but I feel like I left a lot out there. Probably because FTD was obscenely fast. I think he must have driven past the big slalom.

Thanks again, Scruffy.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:38 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

It was a lot of fun to drive but, glad I was not at some of those corners. It was just a tough course to stay clean on. Some of the best drivers only had 2 clean runs.

Quick Reply: Autox course maps, large format.