Notices

SCCA approves the STR Class

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 02:00 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
"What, the classing rules aren't written around my specific preferences for which car to run and which modifications to install? Utterly ridiculous!"

To expand on what 00r101 wrote - you can tell the difference between the serious driving enthusiasts and the wannabes because the former drive what they've got regardless of classing or find themselves competitive rides, while the latter complain endlessly about stupid, unfair, biased classing despite the fact that eveyone has to play by the same rules, and as a result often don't get around to the actual driving part.

utkinpol, which category are you going to put yourself into?
frankly I do not give a rats *** about any categorization or what whomever wants to think. it`s a free country, people are free to think whatever they`re damn pleased. i do both track and auto-x and my preferences are for track mods. if some idiot suggests that putting GT3 suspension parts on C2 car transforms it into Nascar rig - well, it is not my problem. to me it says quite simple that people who are responsible for those rules are not educated enough to understand my car.
plus to all that being said NER uses its own categories, so, all that SCCA related crap means pretty much nothing.
Old 04-20-2010, 04:29 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
to me it says quite simple that people who are responsible for those rules are not educated enough to understand my car.
To me that says you're unwilling or unable to understand how the classing system works. I hope you're enjoying whining.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:59 PM
00r101
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
frankly I do not give a rats *** about any categorization or what whomever wants to think. it`s a free country, people are free to think whatever they`re damn pleased. i do both track and auto-x and my preferences are for track mods. if some idiot suggests that putting GT3 suspension parts on C2 car transforms it into Nascar rig - well, it is not my problem. to me it says quite simple that people who are responsible for those rules are not educated enough to understand my car.
plus to all that being said NER uses its own categories, so, all that SCCA related crap means pretty much nothing.
If you don't give a cr*p about SCCA classing why are you posting on a thread about SCCA classing?

But, all that aside, you are certainly entitled to voice your opinion, pick any car you want and modify it any way you want. I am glad you are a car enthusiast and enjoy your Porsche by driving it hard as it was meant to be. But it's important to avoid calling people idiots because they disagree with you.

And, what does your screen name mean?
Old 04-21-2010, 05:27 PM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Default STR results

The first big SCCA National Tour was last weekend in San Diego. The Honda S2000 drew first blood.

Variety Rules the Day at San Diego National Tour

SAN DIEGO, Calif. (April 14, 2010) – Sunny Southern California weather greeted 295 Tire Rack® SCCA Solo National Tour competitors at Qualcomm Stadium for the San Diego National Tour event, April 10-11.

The Qualcomm Stadium layout was a challenging, yet fun course designed by reigning E Modified National Champion Jeff Kiesel. The Sunday runs required more precision from competitors than Saturday, but the natural progression was a hit with the drivers. Kiesel’s layout, his first design, was created with coaching from Andy McKee and drew rave reviews.

By all accounts, the event was successful, both on and off-the track, with tight competition and multiple marques claiming class wins.

The new Street Touring® offering—the “R” class is alive and well in Southern California. With numerous car makes and tire manufacturers participating in the class, the competition was stiff. Jeff Cawthorne, of San Diego, Calif., led the STR class early on Saturday in his No. 6 2006 Mazda MX-5. By the end of the day, Cawthorne had fallen to fifth, but was less than 0.2-second from the lead.

The battle continued through the day on Sunday, and when the runs were over, Cawthorne had ridden his Dunlop tires to the top spot in the class by just 0.123-second over Ken Motonishi, of Chino Hills, Calif. Motonishi drove a 2009 Mazda MX-5 on Toyo Tires, followed by Jim Reyenga in a Hankook-shod 2000 Honda S2000, Bob Endicott in a 2006 Honda S2000 riding on Bridgestones, and Mike Simanyi in a 2000 BMW M Coupe on Dunlops. In all, three manufacturers and four tire companies cracked the top five in the Street Touring R class.
Variety was the name of the game in C Stock, as well, with four different marques in the top four final positions. Bryan Heitkotter, of Fresno, Calif., earned the win in his No. 49 2007 Mazda MX-5. Falling 0.142-second behind in the No. 199 TimBo Racing/Evo School 2006 Pontiac Solstice was multi-time Champion Ryan Buetzer, of Long Beach, Calif. Andrew McKee (2000 Porsche Boxster) and Brian Coulson (2007 Mazda RX-8) filled out the top-four.

In keeping with the theme, the Super Stock class also placed three different cars on the podium. Gary Thomason, of Oceanside, Calif., piloted his No. 71 Kumho Tires 2004 Porsche GT3 to a 0.45-second win over David deRegt. deRegt, of Redmond, Wa., earned the silver medal in the No. 186 2006 Lotus Elise. Kevin Dietz scored the final podium position behind the wheel of a 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06.

The Tire Rack SCCA Solo National Tour returns to Action, May 15-16, for the Western States Championship at the Wendover Airport in Wendover, Utah.

For full results from the San Diego National Tour and more information on all upcoming Tire Rack SCCA Solo National Tour events, visit www.scca.com/solo.

The national focus turns this weekend to the Tire Rack ProSolo National Series, which opens its 2010 season at El Toro in Southern California this weekend, April 17-18.

Full results are also available directly at http://www.scca.com/documents/resultfiles/results16.pdf.

Image: Fred Zust en route to an XP win. Bryan Heitkotter image.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:48 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Um... there have been three National Tours already this year, and San Diego was won by an MX-5, not an S2000. S2000s won the first two Tours, though.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:34 AM
porrsha
Race Director

Um... there have been three National Tours already this year, and San Diego was won by an MX-5, not an S2000. S2000s won the first two Tours, though.
If you lok at the PDF file for the event there were no 944's, or 3.2 lt 911's registered. Easier to take all those MX-5's and S2000's and take the Hoosiers off from stock , go to a spec tire, and be in STR.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:11 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Yup - we're not disagreeing, are we?
Old 04-22-2010, 06:13 PM
porrsha
Race Director

Yup - we're not disagreeing, are we?
Nope..we are agreeng.