Notices

SCCA approves the STR Class

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:23 AM
EBacon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, sorry...I'm still shopping for my first Porsche. See my post in this Autocross forum titled "Transport wheels/tires to autox events". So far I've been focused on the 993 for the new BS, actually, until stumbling over this whole STR class possibility. I like the idea of driving to events on tires and not dealing with the whole wheel transport issue (although I know some purists would still have a separate set of competition street tires+wheels!) not to mention the fun of driving a nicely prepared car.

In ST classes, lots of things are up for grabs compared to the Stock classes where I've been playing. For a point of reference, look at everything listed on a 3.2 911 that's for sale in the PCA Mart:

"pair of new 9" wide original Fuchs from Wheel Enhancement, complete system from Griffiths consists of rearward Kuehl condenser system w/ blower fan, Kuehl Duehl extra condenser, receiver drier, stone guard, hi/lo pressure switch, Kuehl evaporator, expansion valve, R134a conversion kit, complete barrier hose set, Fabspeed Maxflo dual outlet muffler, Weltmeister tow hooks front/rear, Weltmeister front/rear sway bars, Weltmeister front/rear torsion bars, Biltstein struts and shocks, Zimmerman cross drilled rotors, Weltmeister stainless steel braided brake lines, ... engine insulation pad, Weltmeister bump steer kit, Weltmeister valve cover gaskets, Turbo tie rods ... new idle microswitch"

I'd love to better understand what of that is legal for STR. THANKS!

Cheers,
Liz
Old 11-23-2009, 02:46 PM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome to the world of complex rules and such. First off there are different rules for PCA vs SCCA. This thread was started by me for SCCA purposes primarily. You need to go to scca and download the rule book on PDF format.

I just received my Dec. 2009 Sports Car magazine and lo and behold there is an article on the ST classes and how to prepare a car for them. They use an RX-8 for their purposes but upgrading the suspension should always be the first thing you do. (IMHO) They lose some weigth via lighter brake calipers and rotors. They have the car dyno'd and gain almost 40 HP!! (love to do that with my NA 944)

So your place to start is reading the rules and then the article.
Wayne
Old 12-01-2009, 02:27 AM
EBacon
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read the Sports Car piece, thanks for that pointer Wayne. I can't believe they did all that work to Isley's car in just 8 weeks! Ridiculously awesome, and definitely gives me an understanding of how far the ST class goes. (I'd already read the SCCA rules several times and couldn't extrapolate so well.) Unfortunately, those waters are too deep for me right now with very limited time to devote to car prep.... Happy STR'ing, folks — I look forward to seeing how the class develops!

Cheers,
Liz
Old 12-01-2009, 10:16 AM
porrsha
Race Director

Originally Posted by EBacon
Just read the Sports Car piece, thanks for that pointer Wayne. I can't believe they did all that work to Isley's car in just 8 weeks! Ridiculously awesome, and definitely gives me an understanding of how far the ST class goes. (I'd already read the SCCA rules several times and couldn't extrapolate so well.) Unfortunately, those waters are too deep for me right now with very limited time to devote to car prep.... Happy STR'ing, folks — I look forward to seeing how the class develops!

Cheers,
Liz
Liz,
There is a ton of competition out there and it gets expensive at the National level. I suggest that you try a few local events and add to the car as time and money allows. How much of that did Isley pay for himself vs the Sportscar budget and donated services?
If you look at the tires being a great equalizer i.e. tire size limited and spec tires must be used, I think that a 944 NA and the 911 are going to be competitive in this class. Many of the parts are available on here as unwanted items or parted out cars. The expensive things are always going to be expensive like a limited slip diff.
I bought a well used 944 last year as it fit my budget. I have owned every other type Porsche (ok..not a Cayenne) over the last 35 years. I was real close to buying another 914 for the same money as the 944 because I have had 4. Based on a few track days at DE's and a few autocrosses the 944 is a great car.
I think the P-Cars have a better chance in this class than they do in Street Prepared Classes (depending upon model). I would always make handling or suspension mods first, braking second, and horse power third on my list of where do I spend my money.
Wayne
Old 12-06-2009, 11:52 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm at a bit of a crossroads...my 944 is currently set up for ES and was extremely fun and successful at the local level. However I was constantly breaking strut mounts (I guess all the camber/caster and race tires was just too much for 20 year old used strut mounts) and it was breaking the budget. I could get camber plates and move into STR but I feel like I would be giving up a big advantage. In ES I have an LSD and more camber than most anybody (due to the adjustability of m030) not to mention 7 and 9" wide wheels. I hate to give up those advantages by moving to STR. If I was going to move to STR what else (other than some STR tires) would be worth upgrading?
Old 12-06-2009, 05:51 PM
porrsha
Race Director

For starters lets look at the obvious. If you have a camber adjusting device like this:
Name:  944_3.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  86.2 KB

You can not run in a stock class.

Name:  strutbrace.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  11.7 KB
If you have a strut device that ties the 2 upper struts together, you can not run in a stock class.
These devices are common suspension changes on 944's . That leaves you with STR and CSP for a NA 944. CSP was a tidal wave of Miatas at the National Solo Championships. You can run R compound tires and that makes the Miata the car to beat in CSP.
In STR the jury is out but i would assume that a tidal wave of Miatas is going to show up but on spec tires limited by size. The 3.2 911's are going to be tire limited with a spec tire in the rear. The 944 will have a decent shot at doing well assuming that prep is done with suspension. I have installed lindsey racing cup set up with shocks , springs, etc.

Last edited by porrsha; 12-07-2009 at 02:02 PM. Reason: new picture of strut
Old 12-07-2009, 04:07 PM
kwikt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What your thoughts on a 968 in the new STR class. What mods???? Springs, lsd, rims, tires???/ I have a 92 6 speed with koni's and front M030 bar already.

Kevin
Old 12-08-2009, 04:07 PM
porrsha
Race Director

Originally Posted by kwikt
What your thoughts on a 968 in the new STR class. What mods???? Springs, lsd, rims, tires???/ I have a 92 6 speed with koni's and front M030 bar already.

Kevin
Kevin,
This will be a long answer but essentially you need the lsd, rims are limited by clas rules, tires are spec tires (10 different ones) , and that leaves the suspension.Get Delrin bushings for the suspension instead of rubber mounts. (A note of caution, if you are serious about building a contender then your street ride quality is going to go down the toilet. )
Get a cup type of suspension that allows for adjustable ride height.
Run 500 lb springs in the back and 350 up front.
Get a camber strut device for the front struts
find out what sway bar combo works best of your model.
Name:  944_6ride copy.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  43.7 KB

So that all being said this what the SCCA says you can do your car.
14.7 ANTI-SWAY BARS
Substitution, addition, or removal of any anti-roll bar(s) is permitted.
Bushing material, method of attachment, and locating points
are unrestricted.
Components such as anti-roll bars and strut housings
that serve dual purposes by also functioning as suspension
locators may not be modified in ways that change the suspension
geometry or steering geometry. Non-standard lateral members
which connect between the brackets for the bar, including allowed
strut bars per 14.2.G, are permitted.
14.8 SUSPENSION
A. Ride height may only be altered by suspension adjustments, the
use of spacing blocks, leaf spring shackles, torsion bar levers, or
change or modification of springs or coil spring perches
. This
does not allow the use of spacers that alter suspension
geometry, such as those between the hub carrier and lower
suspension arm. Springs must be of the same type as the
original (coil, leaf, torsion bar, etc.) and except as noted herein,
must use the original spring attachment points. This permits
multiple springs, as long as they use the original mount
locations. Coil spring perches originally attached to struts or
shock absorber bodies may be changed or altered, and their
position may be adjustable. Spacers are allowed above or
below the spring. Suspension bump stops may be altered or
removed.
B. Suspension bushings may be replaced with bushings of any
materials (except metal) as long as they fit in the original
location.
Offset bushings may be used. In a replacement
bushing the amount of metal relative to the amount of nonmetallic
material may not be increased. This does not authorize
a change in type of bushing (for example ball and socket
replacing a cylindrical bushing), or use of a bushing with an
angled hole whose direction differs from that of the original
bushing. If the Stock bushing accommodated multi-axis motion
via compliance of the component material(s), the replacement
bushing may not be changed to accommodate such motion via a
change in bushing type, for example to a spherical bearing or
similar component involving internal moving parts. Pins or keys
may be used to prevent the rotation of alternate bushings, but
may serve no other purpose than that of retaining the bushing in
the desired position.

Last edited by porrsha; 12-08-2009 at 04:37 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:29 PM
porrsha
Race Director

Originally Posted by kwikt

Kevin
So the other thought I had was that the 968 was the "last" iteration of the 944. It has the best engine and most refined suspension BUT as time went by the increase in the Federal Crash Standards also meant that all cars gained weight. I go by the Colin CHapman theory (lotus) that weight is bad. All of these cars can go on a diet but they have to have an interior.
Best way to lose weight is get rid of the stock seats:
Name:  944_5small.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  43.0 KB
B. The driver and front passenger seats may be replaced, with the
following restrictions: The seating surface must be fully
upholstered. The top of the seat, or an attached headrest, may
not be below the center of the driver’s head. The seat, including
mounting hardware, must weigh at least 25 pounds and must be
attached using the OE body mounting holes/studs. Additional
mounting points may be added
Old 12-08-2009, 06:18 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

I just can't justify buying all that stuff for a car as old as a 944. I need to find a way to repair stock strut mounts. What's funny is performance wise it hardly matters because I can get 2.7* of camber as the car sits stock-legal now because the factory m030 is so good.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:51 AM
porrsha
Race Director

Originally Posted by knfeparty
I just can't justify buying all that stuff for a car as old as a 944. I need to find a way to repair stock strut mounts. What's funny is performance wise it hardly matters because I can get 2.7* of camber as the car sits stock-legal now because the factory m030 is so good.
I agree with you. I picked this car up all the mods but the shocks and springs for $5,000. Total investment is now $6,000..couild have done better perhaps.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:17 PM
kwikt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, I've been sorta pricing and looking at Koni Cup suspension and varios other coilovers. I already located a LSD. Now just debating if I should pull the trigger and jump into the STR full bore

Kevin
Old 12-09-2009, 09:53 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

kwikt you should just go ahead and buy my car for ES...already has 2.7, m030, lsd, club sports with r-comps

at the very least gimme a call so we can hang out and talk 944. Sent you a PM
Old 12-10-2009, 10:54 AM
porrsha
Race Director

kwikt you should just go ahead and buy my car for ES...already has 2.7, m030, lsd, club sports with r-comps

at the very least gimme a call so we can hang out and talk 944. Sent you a PM
No Comp tires in TR....but...E/S os a great class. How much do you want for your car?broken spindles and all
Old 12-11-2009, 08:58 AM
porrsha
Race Director

I kept my old struts if that would help you for a season................

Name:  944_1.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  88.1 KB

Quick Reply: SCCA approves the STR Class