Notices

Cayman or Cayman S for track and autocross

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 07:29 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Cayman or Cayman S for track and autocross

Posted this in the Cayman section and only got one comment so perhaps here I will get more. Thanks
Want to preserve my track prepared '83SC so i'm looking for a new toy for mild tracking and autocross. The two contenders are the 2010 Cayman and or the 2010 Cayman S. whichever car would be optioned the same. PDK, Limited slip, Sport bucket seats, factory fire bottle and blue tooth. Yes I would have ot order 18" wheels with the Cayman but in either case the wheels would be replaced with 18" forged wheels (weight and strength.). Yes there is more power in the Cayman S but more weight. While the 3.4 Cayman S engine has direct fuel injection and the 2.9 Cayman engine does not they both have the same oil distribution system which is a great improvement over th first generation. so now i have stated my question and now I look for comments and or darts.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:28 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

In SCCA autocross, Cayman is AS and can be competitive with a good driver, but Cayman S is SS with the big boys and simply outclassed. There are some rules changes pending that will likely create an intermediate class the Cayman S is better suited for; keep an eye out for the next SCCA fastrack; the Oct edition was basically just said "stand-by."
Old 10-03-2009, 07:38 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Depends on how long you want to keep it. Sometimes the base model does remain in a lower class (like the 944 NA is in ES, but the s, s2, turbo, and 968 are in BS) but sometimes the S and non-S end up in the same class, which I believe is the way the boxster was for awhile wasn't it?

If you're willing to spend that much for a toy, I would have to go with a 996 gt3. I recently considered getting a cayman or cayman s but in the end I got the 996 40th jahre because it felt like a lot more porsche for the money.

Don't get me wrong, I love the cayman because it is in my eyes the modern day 944- small fast and fun, but it is a LOT to pay for what you get.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:54 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to be competitive at the SCCA maybe the non S will be a better choise...
Old 10-04-2009, 04:13 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Under the current classing system, there's no "maybe" in the statement above -- the base Cayman should be competitive in A Stock, but the Cayman S will be hopelessly outclassed in Super Stock against the 996 GT3 amongst other cars.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:56 PM
00r101
Racer

I think a 2010 base Cayman could be a winner in AS. But there are someimportant options you left out - Sport Chrono and PASM. Also you will need to buy a GT3 front bar and Tarret end links. I think with the PDK and Sport Chrono you could have a winning ProSolo car.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:46 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow.. $60-70K to spend for an occasional Track/AX car? I'd look for a used GT3 at that kind of money (for a Porsche choice) or a Z06
Old 10-06-2009, 12:04 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

yeah again you could be real competitive in SS with a 996 GT3...but it would be a lot more car to handle haha. There's something to be said for the dependability of a new car but getting a new car to just "beat" on seems wrong.

But, if money were no object I would do it...
Old 10-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Who do you run with? Here we don't really do SCCA, it's PCA, & Conference. Our classes are different. You might want to check into that. Around here both the Boxters & Caymans rule, S or no S.

In my class, S3, we have..
964 all, non-turbo
993 all, non-turbo
Boxters all up to now, S's up to 2005.

Guess who wins the class? Yup, the 2009 Boxters. The poor 964's don't have a chance. This is a STOCK class so we really can't do anything to the car.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:04 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend the BK, X51 or similiar oil pan mod as well as installing the PMNA air-oil seperator if you are going to track it. These will dramatically increase the engine life on the track.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:22 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

It is ordered. Base Cayman in Carrera White with sea blue interior. Sport bucket seats, PDK, LSD and sport Chrono. Bluetooth. Now looking at harness bars. Did not order PASM and Bi Zeon headlights for weight consideration. Looking at the SCCA autocross rules, I can change out the shocks and sway bars and stay stock. Upper front strut brace is perhaps another issue. Who has an upper strut brace and how much difference does it make? Suggestions on harness bars and after market shocks (are they really needed) appreciated. I will change out the 18" Porsche OEM wheels for lightweight forged. That alone improves handling. White was picked to match my current ( and keeping it toy)
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2009, 12:35 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
Now looking at harness bars.
Be careful buying harness bars -- the rules prohibit say "it may serve no other purpose (e.g., structural enhancement)." Because the definition of "structural enhancement" is ambiguously worded, installing any harness bar is a bit risky.

I can change out the shocks and sway bars and stay stock.
There's a two page long section on shock allowances. Honestly, I'd go back to the dealer and order PASM -- I have it on good authority (GH Sharp) that they're very good for autocross use, and it would likely end up being cheaper than buying Penskes or Motons and fabricating whatever's required to make them work in a strut application.

Only the front sway bar is free -- you can't touch the rear bar.

Upper front strut brace is perhaps another issue. Who has an upper strut brace and how much difference does it make?
Hopefully no one, because they're not legal in Stock.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:28 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Pedel faster: Thank you your comments are appreciated. I was aware of the sway bar issue. The upper front strut bar is a holdover from the early 911 days ie my SC. I was not aware of the issue with harness bars. I did get the sport bucket seats so there is not near the body movement (ie sliding around) as with normal seats. Let me re-visit PASM and do more homework on the harness bar. Thanks
Old 10-26-2009, 11:50 PM
00r101
Racer

I love my PASM for AX. I would not order a 987 without it. Remember you get the stiffer rear Cayman S springs with PASM on the base car and you ride 10mm lower. The shock tuning is spot on with lots of low speed damping ( makes for a jiggly street ride but perfect for slaloms).

Wheels - at the moment the lightest, best bang for the buck wheels are OZ Alegritta. In stock 18x8 and 18x9 sizes they weight 17.x and 18.x lbs and cost $375 each for fronts and $385 each for rears. I wish these had been available when I spent $2500+ for my CCWs which are no lighter.
Old 10-27-2009, 07:03 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 00r101
I love my PASM for AX. I would not order a 987 without it. Remember you get the stiffer rear Cayman S springs with PASM on the base car and you ride 10mm lower. The shock tuning is spot on with lots of low speed damping ( makes for a jiggly street ride but perfect for slaloms).

Wheels - at the moment the lightest, best bang for the buck wheels are OZ Alegritta. In stock 18x8 and 18x9 sizes they weight 17.x and 18.x lbs and cost $375 each for fronts and $385 each for rears. I wish these had been available when I spent $2500+ for my CCWs which are no lighter.
Thanks I did add PASM to the order and still looking for wheels. Also still exploring the harness bar issue and would appreciate comments. Want ot stay in the stock class but would like four point harnesses. Another interesting item. I ordered the Porsche Sport bucket seats and if you do you cannot order the factory fire ext. nor do any of the aftermarket venders make a seat mounted bracket for a fire bottle. Another reason for a harness bar to mount the fire ext.

AS to the OZ wheels they are good looking, however I am still a believer in forged wheels not only for the street but the track. They are stronger and will bend rather than fracture if damaged. Granted they are more expensive

Last edited by f4 plt; 10-27-2009 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: Cayman or Cayman S for track and autocross