Notices

Hankook Z214 Tires for Autocross?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 12:46 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hankook Z214 Tires for Autocross?

Can anyone comment on the Hankook Z214 C71 compound for autocross?

How does it compare to the V710?

All I can find is people who commented on them for DE and track.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:28 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love to know as well.

At Frisby race tire I see they have them in the C50 or C51 "medium" compound which I would think are better for autox than the C71 hard compound since they would probably heat up quicker and offer more grip.

These tires are a bit cheaper than Hoosier and the Kumho offerings which is great too. I have been waiting for months for Kumho to release the V710 in the 245/45/16 size since it is better on camber-challenged cars. I was told they should've had them in their warehouses 2 months ago and it is getting close to the start of the season!!!!

Anybody???
Old 01-21-2009, 09:18 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

C71's are the soft compound for autocross.

The thing that bugged me about the Kumhos is that I'm running 15" wheels. The only sizes they have for those wheels is 205/50 and 225/50. So running the staggered set up, your wheel diameters are different from front to rear.

At least the Z214's have a 225/45 which matches the 205/50 diameter.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:30 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

ooops! You're right.

I want the Kumho's because I heard you do not need 2.5 to 5 degrees of camber for them to work good and not cord very fast. I am hesitant to dial a lot of camber into my car being it is mostly a street car. It also helps that the V710 is one of the best Autox tires out there, next to the A6's.

The reason I am holding off on the Kumho's is I am waiting for that new size so I can run a 225/245 staggered setup. If they don't release it in time I will have to go with these Hankooks or the A6's.

It looks like the Hoosiers in your sizes will run you about $30 more per tire vs. the Hankook. Have you tried those yet?

On another note, regarding the Z214, you should be able to find some info over on the SCCA forums I would think....

Edit: I got bored so I searched a little!

http://sccaforums.com/forums/thread/234469.aspx

http://forum.mnautox.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6385

Last edited by mclarenno9; 01-21-2009 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Added links
Old 01-22-2009, 09:01 AM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the links. It looks like there are some good reviews on there. I have not tried the Hoosiers yet. In fact I have not tried anything. This will be my first season with R-compounds. Up to now I have been using the Hankook Z212 street tires for the last two seasons. Which have done pretty well I might add for street tires.

I don't think the Z214's require much camber either. Here is some good info on them...

http://www.philstireservice.com/page..._hankook_3.htm
Old 01-22-2009, 02:05 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

I am in the same boat as you. I have not tried R-comps before, but this will be my 4th autox season. I am in SM2 and always get beat out by 1-2 secs from a car on R-comps. I am using crappy BFG G-force sports and sliding all over the place. I figure anything that's worth doing is worth doing right!

Regarding the camber, I guess I had assumed the Hankooks were similar to most R-comps in that they usually say to run 2-5 degrees negative. I know the Kumho's shape is such that this is not required. That is why I wanted them.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:56 PM
password
Track Day

Hey Matt I believe both John and Tom are running that exact tire and compound. John has run them before, this is his second set. Tom came off Hoosiers. They are not as fast as the Hoosiers, but really I don't know what is. Tom was not totally sold on them, you may want to reach out to him on idacross and check what his final view was. Both Tom and John did beat out Howard at Zone, and Howard was on pretty new 710's so that is saying something. In the end they are a heck of alot cheaper and do run fast. If you overdrive them they can overheat in the Summer so just be aware.

Regards
Graham
Old 01-22-2009, 03:03 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by password
Hey Matt I believe both John and Tom are running that exact tire and compound. John has run them before, this is his second set. Tom came off Hoosiers. They are not as fast as the Hoosiers, but really I don't know what is. Tom was not totally sold on them, you may want to reach out to him on idacross and check what his final view was. Both Tom and John did beat out Howard at Zone, and Howard was on pretty new 710's so that is saying something. In the end they are a heck of alot cheaper and do run fast. If you overdrive them they can overheat in the Summer so just be aware.

Regards
Graham
Hey Graham. Dan actually emailed Thom yesterday to get his opinion for me. It was basically what you said...he wasn't happy with them and is going back to Hoosiers. I'm trying to find out if he was running the C50 or C70 compound. If he used the C50 that might be why he wasn't thrilled with them. The C70 compound is supposed to run at much higher temperatures. Plus, the new ones have the C71 compound which is the next version which the SCCA guys are saying is supposed to be closer to the Hoosier performance.

I ended up ordering them. So I guess I will find out first hand.

See you in about 2 months.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:27 PM
password
Track Day

Cool, Talk to my brother about pressures, and what to expect as they heat up. I am still on the fence on tires, I need them, but funds are tight. I was holding off, but now it looks like the Islanders are going to go and loose in another State so we should have the lot for longer that it looked like last year.

Regards
Graham
Old 01-22-2009, 05:26 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by password
Cool, Talk to my brother about pressures, and what to expect as they heat up. I am still on the fence on tires, I need them, but funds are tight. I was holding off, but now it looks like the Islanders are going to go and loose in another State so we should have the lot for longer that it looked like last year.

Regards
Graham
Do you know what compound your brother is using?

Tell me about it...took me a year to finally pull the trigger and get a set of track tires.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:44 AM
password
Track Day

He is using the C70's. He liked them best in Spring and Fall. You may need to spray them down in the Summer to keep them from overheating.

Regards
Graham
Old 01-23-2009, 12:18 PM
arbeitm
Burning Brakes

Thanks.

Here's some info for him on the optimal temperature ranges.

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/motor/...emperature.asp

Quick Reply: Hankook Z214 Tires for Autocross?