Notices

Need to beat the Boxters, what's the "best" stock rubber?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 06:54 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Need to beat the Boxters, what's the "best" stock rubber?

So I came in 3rd this year in the PCA stock class. I'm running a 95 993 C4. I weigh a little more, & only have 270hp, but the dam Boxters are tough to beat. It only happened a couple of times this year.

So the car is totally stock, M030 suspension, Sumi HTZ III rubber. What will make me faster & keep me in stock class?

Tires are 205/50/17 & 255/40/17
Old 11-13-2008, 08:30 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PCA stock doesn't allow much car change other than trying different tires and pressures. Do you have much room to improve as a driver? A well-driven Boxster S can be tough to beat indeed.

A '02 Boxster S was the fastest of all stock class cars at the '08 Parade autocross (72.11). A GT3 had the second fastest time (72.36), and a '07 Cayman S took third fastest (72.83). A '96 993 C4S took S07M class with a 76.95. I guess I should mention that the Boxster driver was Danny Shields, multiple-time SCCA National Champ. My point is that autocross outcomes are heavily influenced by driving skill. You may be unlucky in having to go up against better drivers. I know the feeling.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 289 Posts

Jim is spot on, Boxters are hard to beat. I have wupped them with the RS running on A6s (them also) but not by a lot. Only my second year doing autocross though. Check the classes that run in your club. Maybe if you modify your car it will put you into Production * class and you can run alone in your class. Worked for wifey when we put seats and harnesses into the 997C2S.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:37 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
So the car is totally stock, M030 suspension, Sumi HTZ III rubber. What will make me faster & keep me in stock class?
1) Tighten the nut behind the steering wheel. You should be able to do a whole run without having the tires squall. If the tires are talking a bit, that's okay, but if they're begging for mercy the whole run, you're losing time.

2) Alignment. Get toe closer to zero degrees (it only serves to stabilize the car) on both ends and maximize camber. With m030 you can lower the car on some Porsches (mine you can, I think newer ones they don't trust the end user anymore); do this and you'll have a lot more responsive ride, but it will also be a lot less stable (great for autocross, but not so good for, say, inexperienced track driving).
Old 11-14-2008, 09:58 AM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All other factors aside, I simply love the Michelins Pilot Sport PS2s, they are an amazing street tire. To quote another member "I have PS2's on my car now and unless I am flat broke, I'm going to keep putting them on my boxster. Excellent traction in all sorts of weather..."

I put a set on at the beginning of the season (January) and am still leading my local PCA autocross class by a landslide.
Old 11-15-2008, 12:43 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
PCA stock doesn't allow much car change other than trying different tires and pressures. Do you have much room to improve as a driver? A well-driven Boxster S can be tough to beat indeed.

A '02 Boxster S was the fastest of all stock class cars at the '08 Parade autocross (72.11). A GT3 had the second fastest time (72.36), and a '07 Cayman S took third fastest (72.83). A '96 993 C4S took S07M class with a 76.95. I guess I should mention that the Boxster driver was Danny Shields, multiple-time SCCA National Champ. My point is that autocross outcomes are heavily influenced by driving skill. You may be unlucky in having to go up against better drivers. I know the feeling.
I know you can't change stuff on the car, I'm asking what is the hottest "Street" tire. Yes, I realize skill is involved, we have a very tough local Auto-X group. If you look at the new national standing, about 1/4 are from NW, that I run with all the time.

We have 2-4 Boxters in my class, 3 run just about all the time, there are about 15 total in the class. The person who came in 1st with a 05 Boxter, has been to nationals a few times, & it just about always 2sec in front of me. I'm sure everything that can be done to the car has been done.

Originally Posted by Mussl Kar
Jim is spot on, Boxters are hard to beat. I have wupped them with the RS running on A6s (them also) but not by a lot. Only my second year doing autocross though. Check the classes that run in your club. Maybe if you modify your car it will put you into Production * class and you can run alone in your class. Worked for wifey when we put seats and harnesses into the 997C2S.
Staying stock, I want to run with people, not all by my self. If there was no challenge there, it would not be worth the time. I KNOW THEY ARE HARD TO BEAT, I'VE BEEN CHASING THEM ALL YEAR!

Originally Posted by knfeparty
1) Tighten the nut behind the steering wheel. You should be able to do a whole run without having the tires squall. If the tires are talking a bit, that's okay, but if they're begging for mercy the whole run, you're losing time.

2) Alignment. Get toe closer to zero degrees (it only serves to stabilize the car) on both ends and maximize camber. With m030 you can lower the car on some Porsches (mine you can, I think newer ones they don't trust the end user anymore); do this and you'll have a lot more responsive ride, but it will also be a lot less stable (great for autocross, but not so good for, say, inexperienced track driving).
Nut is tight, done a few years of Auto-X with other cars, & have almost 10 years of open track driving.

Tires really don't squeal at all, I'm pretty smooth. Any time it's wet, I clean up. My C4S is set up, & has toe out on the front & 0 toe rear with a aggressive alignment. It's totally fun to drive, but not for my daily driver.

Can't lower the car, only the fronts are adjustable, & it's corner balanced, but aligned to stock specs. It's my daily driver, & I need it to be stable with no drama for when, my other half drives it.

I just want to know what the hot stock class tires are!
Old 11-15-2008, 01:20 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to know what the hot stock class tires are!
The Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R, the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, and the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07 are the tires that dominated the street tire classes at this year's national championships.

Nut is tight, done a few years of Auto-X with other cars, & have almost 10 years of open track driving.

The person who came in 1st with a 05 Boxter, has been to nationals a few times, & it just about always 2sec in front of me.
Tires aren't going to get you two seconds -- you need to tighten the nut tighter.

As an aside, I think you may be confusing the Porsche Parade (not much competition) with the SCCA Solo Nationals (lots of competition). Only a handful of Pacific NW Region PCA members attend the Solo Nationals regularly, and none of them run in S4.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:48 AM
grey ghost
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

. The Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R, the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, and the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07 are the tires that dominated the street tire classes at this year's national championships

I will Second these choices, I ran the 08 Parade in My 04 550, and was the fastest water cooled car.
being beaten by only, Bobby Smith for FTD. I ran a 69.125. I ran Production because I ran Hoosiers, the only Modification to the car was a GT-3 sway bar with custom links, and Alignment. it was completely stock other than what was stated.

Danny Shields was running Bridgestones, these tires are worth more than second over your sumi's.

just my thoughts.

thanks Rob
Old 11-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by RCS968
. The Bridgestone Potenza RE-01R, the Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec, and the Yokohama ADVAN Neova AD07 are the tires that dominated the street tire classes at this year's national championships

I will Second these choices, I ran the 08 Parade in My 04 550, and was the fastest water cooled car.
being beaten by only, Bobby Smith for FTD. I ran a 69.125. I ran Production because I ran Hoosiers, the only Modification to the car was a GT-3 sway bar with custom links, and Alignment. it was completely stock other than what was stated.

Danny Shields was running Bridgestones, these tires are worth more than second over your sumi's.

just my thoughts.

thanks Rob

Thanks, I leaning towards the RE-01R. The Yoko's are great tire, but really expensive. It just sucks, that this is my daily driver, & I know that she will go through 2 sets of rear tires in a season!
Old 11-17-2008, 03:58 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would second the Yokohamas. Night and day different compared to your Sumis. If these are going on the daily driver, I would suggest a second set of wheels for the Yokohamas. You will get better life my not using up that precious rubber while commuting and Cup II wheels are readily available for $500 or less and will likely be the same price should you decide to sell them (i.e. free "rental" wheels).

Even better would be upgrading to 18" wheels with the Yokos but that gets pretty spendy.

And yes, there is no substitute for tightening the nut! I've been doing this for over 16 years with some nice success over the years and I am still learning to go faster and be more CONSISTENT.

Good luck.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:42 PM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If your looking for more advice....you can try Karl at Tight-n-tidy (http://www.tightntidyracing.com/). I've used him for a while for my tire swaps. He's big into SCCA and can pass along some good info on tire choices for you.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:15 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 4 cars right now as luck would have it. The Boxster S I just picked up has put all the rest of my cars in sleep mode. It's all I ever want to drive. I drove it to work yesterday with 27 degrees outside on summer tires, just because the weather man said it was going to get up to 50 in the afternoon. I had a 97 Boxster that I sold a few years ago, this Boxster S is so much better. I know some think it's a chick car, but I have a green one with a hard top, and really don't care what anyone thinks anymore. I've added 18s since this picture, and I have a bunch more stuff to upgrade.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:25 AM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Default clarification

So I came in 3rd this year in the PCA stock class. I'm running a 95 993 C4. I weigh a little more, & only have 270hp, but the dam Boxters are tough to beat. It only happened a couple of times this year.

Tires are 205/50/17 & 255/40/17
Just for clarification....do you have an extra set of rims with Auto-X tires for events/ Are yopu running SCCA or PCA events?
Old 11-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by porrsha
Just for clarification....do you have an extra set of rims with Auto-X tires for events/ Are yopu running SCCA or PCA events?
PCA & a couple of other local clubs. Mainly, my main competition is PCA, & the stock Boxters. It has to be a real street tire.

No, I do not have another set of rims for it, just the stockers, & I can't get the larger 18in turbo twist, that would put me in prepared.

I'm going to just get the RE-01R & get another set of rears half way through the year.

I drive about 10kmi a year on the car.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:18 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you considered relocating the eninge to the backseat?

Quick Reply: Need to beat the Boxters, what's the "best" stock rubber?