Notices

Heel/Toe technique with PCCB's

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:35 PM
WAC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heel/Toe technique with PCCB's

I posted a question on the 997 forum and it was suggested I try in racing too. But since I'm really mostly interested in this technique for autocross I'm hoping someone over hear can give me some input:

I have been really struggling with heel/toe with my new car which has PCCB brakes. I know the basic technique and was pretty proficient with my 996. The problem is that the brakes are so touchy that it's very hard to "feather" the brakes and heel/toe when you don't need so much braking that you hammer them.

I used Rennline pedals on my old car and about ready to order another set because they do make it easier.

One suggestion that I have received is that on the C4S the brakes have double boosters and pretension when quick pedal movement is detected.

I'd appreciate any advice anyone here may have.

Thanks.

Tony
Old 02-17-2008, 04:19 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry no one has replied here.. Not a lot of PCCB equipped AX cars.

In my experience for AX, the courses I have run are not "finesse" enough to require 1) lots of shfting and 2) lots of Heel/Toe technique.

Most events I have run have been get to 2nd and leave it there. AN occasional shift to first for a tigt turn-around, but even then, sometimes lugging in 2nd is quicker than the time spent down and up shifting.

To me, AX is lots of abrupt movements.. hard on gas, hard on brake. Perhaps you are overthinking your driving to focus on a smooth H/T. Then again, maybe you run on 100mph AX courses where it is an issue.

In the end, its just seat time and familiarization with what you car has.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:22 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have to echo the above - it's really about seat time and experience. There really is nothing wrong with your PCCB's, they simply require more finesse than your old brakes did. Practice makes perfect.

I don't have wider "heel-toe racing pedals" on my street car (although my race car will) and so instead I drive with running shoes that have a wider base near my toes, which help with reaching both pedals. When I put on my narrow Puma racing shoes, I can't heel-toe worth a damn.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:17 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 to what Racer said. I have PCCBs and don't heel/toe. I don't downshift because our courses don't need to drop into 1st gear.

Like Racer, when I need the brakes I'm really on them, trying to get my speed down to whatever the next segment dictates as fast as possible. There is no feathering of the brakes when I'm driving. If I did that then Rich might beat me. I can't have that.

Cheers,
Old 02-20-2008, 10:13 AM
WAC
Instructor

Thanks guys. On my local PCA course we do get into 3rd gear and around 100mph at one point and in the 80's in a couple of others. I have purchased a set of Rennline pedals and a lifter plate for the gas pedal to even up the pedals some. Once I have them installed (hopefully this weekend) and the weather warms up a little I'm going to practice again.

So far my practice with stock pedals has been pretty fruitless. I think that finesse IS probably the answer - because the PCCB's are very touchy. When I'm going say 60-70 mph and really brake hard the car stops so damn fast it's hard to get the heel/toe shift done! I think dropping down from 100 mph would be easier because I'd have another nanosecond to get it done.

I'll keep trying...

Thanks for the input.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:19 PM
racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like your car just srubs off speed to fast. Maybe you could bring it out east and let me try it for a while
Old 02-21-2008, 02:36 AM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Part of the problem might be electronic. The newer Porsches don't like to have the accelerator and brake pedals pushed simultaneously, even for heal-toe work.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:56 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my local PCA course we do get into 3rd gear and around 100mph at one point and in the 80's in a couple of others.
I realy do hate you I can never get our region to open up the courses even though we have the area to do it. Anyway back the topic at hand the answer is practice. When you first start heel toeing its very hard to modulate the brakes at the same time, you will often release brake pressure rolling over onto the gas. All this being said when ever you are downshifting you should probably be very hard on the brakes and only modulating the brakes to get the max braking without lock up, however to get proficient at heel toeing you MUST practice on the street, unless you have unlimited funds to drive around the track all day long. Its a skill that comes with time and lots and lots and lots of practice. It's taken me about 2 years of H/T on the street to feel that I am a fully proficient at it (I don't conciously think about my shifts). Anyway best of luck, Mike
Old 03-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Mussl Kar
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 292 Posts

Proper driving shoes and practise practise practise. I have the PCCBs but only dropped down to first a few times last season. Mostly quicker to lug around tight spots. If I do drop to first I need to make sure there is a section ahead to upshift without upsetting the car. BTW, need a real sharp jab to drop into first with these cars.

Quick Reply: Heel/Toe technique with PCCB's