Notices

What class am I for SCCA Autocrosses?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 PM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What class am I for SCCA Autocrosses?

Our club will be following SCCA rules this season , so I'm at a loss for what class I'm in.

This is what I have and done. Some mods may be mute, not sure.

83 NA with a turbo stock front and rear sway bars. I didn't have a rear bar so I added one.

Upgraded the front springs to 200lbs.

Koni adjustables on all four corners.

I run on 710's with 15" stock rims.

I added a rear valance. I believe this puts me in another class.

I have a fire extinguisher.

I have sport seats from an S2.

I like the way my car is set up now, I figured the rest will be up to me as a driver. I will take any advice as well.

TIA
Old 01-08-2008, 10:53 PM
callen2
AutoX

I can't figure out their classes either....hence have delayed entering any of their events. I have a 2005 997S.....if you find find someone who can decode their system I would appreciate the referral.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:06 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

944 is consistent with the intent of C Street Prepared. I'm not super familiar with SP rules; someone who's really **** might take issue with your valence, but I wouldn't worry about that unless you plan on winning Nationals (and honestly you won't in a 944). CSP competition is primarily modified Miatas.

997S, if completely stock, is in Super Stock. SS competition is 996 GT3s, Corvettes, and Elises.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That set-up looks like C Street Prepared (CSP) to me. The stock 944 8-valve is in E Stock (ES), but stock classes require OEM springs (your Konis would be okay in stock though). The only question I have is about the rear valance. I think it qualifies as a "cosmetic trim piece", which is allowed in Street Prepared classes.

The first Porsche that I autocrossed was a '84 944 with Konis. Started off in B Stock in 1986, then SCCA moved it to D Stock, then to C Stock. So now that's 4 different stock classes the 944 8-valve has run in over the years.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:24 PM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I didn't think the valance would be too much of a worry. Those Miata's are one tough group to beat.

This page is what got me started. Comparison of permitted modifications in SCCA classes
Old 01-09-2008, 06:55 AM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Here's a link to the 2007 SCCA rulebook. Not sure when the 2008 rules will be out.

http://www.scca.com/documents/Solo%2...7SoloRules.pdf

You should be fine in CSP with your car with the possible exception of the rear valance for really picky people. That may or may not work for them. However I think you'll be too busy fending off those pesky Miatas for folks to worry about your valance.

Cheers,
Old 01-09-2008, 08:16 PM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Sway bars are free in stock (you can add them), shocks are free as lock as the mounting points are not changed. Springs are not free so that puts you in Street Prepared....or SM. Street Mod.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:27 AM
70RSR
Intermediate

Default Not so fast

Sway bars are not free in stock class. The front sway bar is free. The rear can not be touched.

Dave
Old 01-10-2008, 04:50 PM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Neither are shocks -- there are restrictions on free length, number of damping adjustments, and conversion to active shocks.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:10 AM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would concur with the others re: CSP

Just a thought: Depending on the level of competition in your area, you might have more fun ditching the V710s and going to a Yokohama/Falken/Kumho 140 treadwear tire and running STS or STS2 (not sure exactly where the 944 falls). Your car is much more closely prepared to this class. CSP get pretty serious really quick - ask me how I know.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:56 PM
NCporsche
Chainsaw
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 128 Posts

You did not mention if the car is chipped.

I'm planning on running with the TSCC (Triad Sports Car Club) with my Koni yellows, and VictoRacers. Other than these modifications, I'm stock, but the car has been chipped. The chip puts me up in the next class.

It has been suggested to me that I buy a stock chip and put this in for the events, but I'm not going to do it. I'll run with the next class and lose, but I'll have a "hell of a good time" trying to win.

OTOH, I could just claim I do not have the car chipped, but what good is the reward if you received it by being dishonest?
Old 01-19-2008, 09:16 AM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

No chip. I probably will keep the car the way it is for now and have fun losing.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NCporsche

I'm planning on running with the TSCC (Triad Sports Car Club) with my Koni yellows, and VictoRacers. Other than these modifications, I'm stock, but the car has been chipped. The chip puts me up in the next class.

It has been suggested to me that I buy a stock chip and put this in for the events, but I'm not going to do it. I'll run with the next class and lose, but I'll have a "hell of a good time" trying to win.

OTOH, I could just claim I do not have the car chipped, but what good is the reward if you received it by being dishonest?
I may show up sometime this year, after looking on their site a lot of the events are right in my neighborhood.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:26 AM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

Originally Posted by NCporsche
Irrelevant in this case. His modifications (springs, bars) already put him in CSP and ECU reprogramming is legal in CSP.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:58 PM
michel944
Pro

zehnd, will you come to Prince Edward Island in August for the Canadian Autoslalom championship ? I'll be there with mine in E-Stock...

Quick Reply: What class am I for SCCA Autocrosses?