Notices

What class am I for SCCA Autocrosses?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 06:03 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porrsha
Well put....when it says no Porsches..it means no Porsches. SCCA Has killed the Corvette class and also alot of Porsche classes. Both have great auto-X programs and DE programs that are marque based. If we were the Miata club or Honda club...then you might see movement..
don't hold your breath
\Wayne
How did SCCA kill the Corvette class? They seem to be pretty good in SS and AS...
Old 03-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

No more B/Prepared on national level.
Same class 951's, etc. would bump up to.
Sad...
Old 03-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sad indeed. Now Corvettes can only run in BS, AS, SS, BSP, & ASP. Wherever I go, there they are. I've been beaten by more Corvettes than all other makes combined. Small wonder that I feel no sympathy. I do feel a lot of respect, however.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:33 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
Sad indeed. Now Corvettes can only run in BS, AS, SS, BSP, & ASP. Wherever I go, there they are. I've been beaten by more Corvettes than all other makes combined. Small wonder that I feel no sympathy. I do feel a lot of respect, however.
If it makes you feel any better, two Corvettes came to the Canadian Nationals last year (a tiny, tiny fraction of the size of Topeka) and I beat them both in my GT3.

We won't talk about those Lotus Elises though.

Cheers,
Old 03-02-2008, 11:17 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Allan: Thanks, but for some reason that doesn't make me feel any better. Please keep your GT3 away from me.

Okay, now for the rest of the story. I've also probably beaten more Corvettes than any other make, simply because they're very popular in the classes I've run in over the past 20 years (BS, AS, SS, and ASP). I have 15 regional championships, sometimes due to regular attendance, but at Nationals my goal would be to keep from finishing last.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:41 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002M3Drew
Porsches have traditionally received less than favorable classing in SCCA ranks.
The one good thing about seeing this fallacy trotted out so frequently is that disproving it is just a copy and a paste away:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...06&postcount=7

http://boxcar-racing.com/forum/index...sg4941#msg4941

http://sccaforums.com/forums/permali...howThread.aspx
Old 03-03-2008, 06:36 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
The one good thing about seeing this fallacy trotted out so frequently is that disproving it is just a copy and a paste away:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...06&postcount=7

http://boxcar-racing.com/forum/index...sg4941#msg4941

http://sccaforums.com/forums/permali...howThread.aspx
I was kind of hoping you would include a reference to R. Delgado in his GT3 coming in second to (13 time National Champion) John Thomas is FP in 2006, or S. Chang winning FPL in that same GT3 in 2006. I co-drove it for the better part of three seasons, and we had a ton of success mainly in SM2, including a 1-2 at the Tour in Devens, MA.

The references you provided are great, but limited. Everyone knows by this point just how great the 996 GT3 is. The GT2 that was mentioned was a monster as well. These are $120-$180K cars, though. So, yes, they are successful, and they should be.

The 968 did have a good run for a couple of years there, and there have been a couple of well-campaigned 944s and Boxsters along the way as well.

the fact that a few great drivers have had success in several models doesn't mean that SCCA's treatment of the marque on the whole is a fallacy.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:12 PM
michel944
Pro

I'm already registered for the Devens Tour event in june and I'll face the US MR2's and Miata's for the first time. I'll keep you posted on the results, we'll see if the 944 can keep up....
Old 03-04-2008, 12:48 AM
PedalFaster
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002M3Drew
the fact that a few great drivers have had success in several models doesn't mean that SCCA's treatment of the marque on the whole is a fallacy.
The fact that internet pundits keep saying otherwise doesn't mean that I didn't observe with my own eyes that the SCCA does not have an anti-Porsche bias.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:59 AM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
The fact that internet pundits keep saying otherwise doesn't mean that I didn't observe with my own eyes that the SCCA does not have an anti-Porsche bias.
If you look at the current class structure, none are perfect. My point was that the Solo Events Board makes informed decisions and trade offs on classes. The cars evolve faster than the board can judiciously place them in the less than perfect class.
MY all time favorite was beating 20 Corvettes at a local SCCA autocross with a BOxster S a few years back. They were pissed!!! a tight parking lot course where the BOxster had the advantage.
If you look at the exclusions to certain lists...Lotus, Porsche..you can certainly see that the board does not want those Marques dominating events or classes. How is it they are okay with a Miata dominated class?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:49 AM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

SCCA seems to be set up to allow the Miata and Corvette drivers to protect their classes from potentially superior, or at least competitive, cars (Lotus and Porsche). I don't really care, though, because I just do it for fun. At this point, I don't have any delusions of winning nationals in any class. It would be nice to find a niche for my 951 where I could be competitive locally. I thought STU would be perfect, as I was neck and neck with the street tire equipped e36 M3's that I competed against last year. Btw, I am still waiting to hear back from SCCA on whether 951's are allowed in STU.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Locally, I prefer BS for my 951S...
It's really competitve, even in that PAX stuff.
FWIW if I did anything to it, I'd run BP/XP classes.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:18 PM
porrsha
Race Director

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Lucky me I get to choose bewteen ASP or SM2
Old 03-13-2008, 07:21 PM
vt951
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

For anyone who may still be interested in whether or not Porsches are excluded from all Street Touring classes (not just STS), I have received an "official" ruling from the SCCA Solo Technical Assistant as well as the VP, Rally/Solo and Special Programs. The answer is: PORSCHE IS EXCLUDED FROM ALL ST CLASSES.

First, the reply from the VP:
"The rules for the ST classes are on pages 167 and 168 of the 2008 National Solo rules (available on line at our web site, www.scca.com). The rules state that STS, STX, and STU are all sedan/coupe based classes that specifically exclude sports car and sports car based cars. A bit of history here; these classes were originally established about 10 years ago to go after the tuner crowd, which was predominantly sedan based.

STS2 allows sports cars, but there is an engine size limitation of 1.9 L and normally aspirated.

Therefore, your car does not fit into the Street touring category and would probably best fit in the Street Prepared category.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us."
And, the reply from the Solo Tech Assistant:
"...your Porsche is not eligible to run in any ST class. It is true the Supra and the RX’s are able to run and why the SEB chose to say those cars could run but others like your Porsche couldn’t I will never know. I am sure most people will never know that. I think it might take a lot more then just one person but you could always write a letter to the SEB(comes to us and we log it first before it goes to the SEB) but a couple of things in my opinion. 1) tell them you think the 944 turbo would be good in STU and 2) come up with a new class called STU2 which would be like STS2 but bigger displacement allowed on the engines. That decision is up to you because those two calls are just my opinion. I hope this can be of help to you."
Old 03-13-2008, 10:19 PM
michel944
Pro

Well, this is what I've been telling you....only now you know it is official !

Quick Reply: What class am I for SCCA Autocrosses?