Notices

Best Porsche for autox

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 11:03 PM
michel944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leeds Gulick
The Fordahl 944 is a stock 1984 with no sunroof. It was purchased new by Greg's dad with Greg overseeing the option choices. Greg now has the 944 and his dad drives a Boxster.

Greg and Jodi's 944 has the performance suspension and wheel options available from the factory at the time (pre-M030), Koni shocks, factory limited slip, Hoosier A6 tires and an SCCA stock-allowed adjustable front sway bar. This car is too exposed to scrutiny, and Greg and Jodi too successful and well know, to be running the modifications mentioned above in an earlier post.

The Fordahl's 944 is the best balanced car I've ever driven and great fun to autocross.

Leeds Gulick
Leeds, I'm glad to meet you here ! For the last few weeks I've been checking the SCCA results from the last few years because in 2008 I'm coming out of retirement and will be running autocross events in Quebec and will also enter the Canadian National Championship in Prince-Edward Island with my 944 in E-Stock.

I won the Canadian National in 1990 in D-Stock with a Fiat X-1/9 and competed with a 944 in 1986...Then it was classified with the IROC Z's and Mustang 5.0's and the course was open and pretty fast so I got killed by the V8's and finished 6th out of 21 entrants, 3 tenths out of 3rd place ! This 944 only had the front sway bar and the one I have now has the option 404, front and rear bars.

The main question I have is about tires. I have to choose between Hoosier A6's and Kuhmo V710's. What size A6's are the Fordahl's running ? Since the car comes standard with 15 x 7 wheels and 215/60-15 tires I don't want to go with tires lower than 225/50-15 because I have an automatic and I don't want to lower my 1st gear top speed too much....I expect it to be at least 50 mph, so that will do it on many courses and we all know the less gear changes the better ! I also found that the Hoosier R6 (circuit) is available in 225/50-15 but not the A6 ! No problem with the V710's. I know my automatic is slower from a standing start but once it's rolling I'm confident it can erase this with a wider range of speed which is almost like 1st and 2nd with a manual.

I would appreciate your advice on tires, Leeds. Thx !
Old 11-28-2007, 03:44 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PedalFaster
Just FYI, the E Stock (the 944's class) national championship was won by a Miata this year, which would seem to contradict your statement.
Who was driving it, Micheal Schumacher? LOL

Hey, back in 1981 I got 2nd place in a county bowling championship. I had an 82 average. That day I bowled some 170 games, that added to my league handicap made me almost impossible to beat.

Sometimes a dog has his day, but I sure as hell would never purport to be at all 'competitive' when it comes to bowling! Maybe it was a bad day for 944's and a good day for MX5'

- FV

This is the one I damn near won with:
Old 11-28-2007, 07:48 AM
JohnVitamvas
Instructor

Originally Posted by FotoVeloce
Who was driving it, Micheal Schumacher? LOL
Brian Johns, actually. His 92.358 total time was over three seconds faster than Jodi's 95.655. I'm not in any way trying to discount Jodi's accomplishments in the 944, just pointing out that the Miata is more than competitive. The 6th place car was also a Miata. The rest of the trohpies were filled with early 90's MR2s. At the '06 Nats the top finishing Miata (again Mr. Johns) beat Leeds by one position for the 7th place trophy.

So obviously the Miata is a pretty stout competitor!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:18 AM
Leeds Gulick
Rennlist Member

The Fordahl 944 runs on 225/45-15 A6 Hoosiers.

Leeds
Old 12-02-2007, 07:24 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

let me clarify:
2.7- 1989 MY had this motor. Classed ES with all the other 8v NA cars.
LSD-transmission is factory option. Also scca stock class legal
coil-overs, stiffer springs, koni adjustables: factor m030 option. These are all porsche parts you could order on the car, not aftermarket! The springs aren't much stiffer and the rear tbars are still 23.5 mm. ALSO stock legal.
Big sway bars: front bar is free, rear bar in the 1989 for the sport package is 18mm, other 944 cars had none, 14, or 16mm bars.

So I'm not a cheater. Just well-optioned.
Do wish I didn't have a sunroof, though.

Quick Reply: Best Porsche for autox