Notices

Cayman in STU, anyone else? questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2024, 02:19 PM
Patstat
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cayman in STU, anyone else? questions...

Committed, (or should be committed for?) to running my base 2014 Cayman in STU for the foreseeable future.

Had my first local autocross at a COTA parking lot this weekend, with the car semi-prepped, on Ohlins R&T, and supercar 3's, and bumped up from the second half of the field in PAX to nearly top 10%. I'm taking this as positive, as there is a bit more I can do to the car.(Randy Pobst was at COTA for something and came over and talked to a bunch of us!)

The 17 people in front have a good number of nats trophies, and at least 4-5 jackets(And includes Stellman from rennlist as well motoring his AS 911.). I've been in the top 10% a couple of times before, in a well prepped STX WRX, and 2021-2022 in a CamC Mustang which I did take to Nats in 2022.

We had a big course event on concrete (70 secs) a few weeks ago, and the car was just OK. But my Ohlins install was rushed, and I had to tidy it up a bit this weekend, and I was making some bad shifting decisions, so probably bout as much driver as the suspension being off. I started the Ohlins there at 3 clicks from stiff front, and 5 clicks rear, and it had a LOT of oversteer, backed it out to 7 clicks in the rear and that felt good. I still have it set there, although I probably should have softened it some as the COTA course is pretty bumpy.

Going from here, I expect to add a front bar to help with the lack of a rear LSD. Prior to Nats, I'll go to Autocross specific tires, assuming I can find 295's.

I think it's probably not possible, but has anyone fit 275's up front on a 981 on 19's? (Probably suspension vendor and/or wheel ET specific if so). I haven't looked to see how close the 265's are to the Ohlins. I'm on 19x9, and 19x11 Apex racing SM10's. The tread width on the supercar 3, 265's are 9.7", and section width is 10.7", Yokes at 275's are 10.2" tread width, and 10.8 section width.

My main question is what should I be looking for in a bar, and am I right about front bar vs rear. I'm going to do more next year, possibly a diff, and likely a new clutch, at least. Maybe picking up a set of 18's to help with the gearing. My nationals track record says I'm really just shooting for mid-pack, but I love this car, and want to stick with it for the next five years if it makes sense, at least locally. Making it to mid-pack at national events would be icing on the cake.

Last edited by Patstat; 06-10-2024 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-10-2024, 03:28 PM
dps214
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

What's the starting point suspension? To my knowledge there aren't many front bar upgrade options, basically just X73 and GT4. I have the GT4 front bar but if I was doing it again I'd probably go X73 instead. And GT4 or aftermarket rear bar if you don't have one already. Also note that the front bar is a huge pain to replace involving dropping the front subframe, where the rear bar is a ten minute job. Are you really having wheelspin issues? I've never had any issues on my S. It does have the factory LSD but that has barely any lockup, and at 90k miles I wouldn't be surprised if it's dead anyway. I've driven both my car and a non-LSD car in AS trim with stock front bar and GT4 rear bar and the lack of LSD was barely noticeable and never an actual problem. I would think it would be possible to fit 275s in the front if you really wanted to, but I don't think it'll do much for you especially if you're sticking with the 9" wheels.

Last edited by dps214; 06-10-2024 at 03:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Patstat (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 04:37 PM
Patstat
Intermediate

I think the tire size was mostly, that it looked like I could get 275's and 295's in AO52's. I don't think they had a 265. I did not check Bridgestones yet.(They don't have a 295 in Bridgestones in a 19... maybe more reason to go to 18's)

didn't mention that I haven't had it aligned yet, and may have it corner balanced. I've never done that with a car and I'd like to see if it's noticeable(had it corner balanced). Probably depends on who does it like anything.

LOL, I think the inventories just updated since I looked earlier today, and they actually have 295/35-19 Yokes in stock as of this moment...might pull the trigger. Problem still remains that they only have 265/40-19's.

Starting point suspension was stock, base cayman. I started running STU due to the Apex wheels. Good to know about the front bar.

Last edited by Patstat; 06-10-2024 at 06:28 PM.
Old 06-10-2024, 04:58 PM
dps214
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 51 Posts

Bridgestone does have a 265/19, but with 9" wheels you're probably overall better off with a 255 anyway. These cars seem to really respond well to the Bridgestones versus the a052s, 255/285 RE71RS works really well on SS gt4s. Honestly I think 18s are the way to go though, better gearing and you get an effective lower ride height without having to compromise the suspension geometry.
The following users liked this post:
Patstat (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 06:09 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

If you are doing events in Texas where it is hot as hell, I'd seriously consider CRS v2 if you can find them. I've got a set which are coming off my 19's which were my 2023 Nat's set with just over 30~ runs and 1000 miles which I may give to a local in need if he wants them but I am not inclined to ship. If heat considerations are not in play, the Stones or Yoks are both very fast but need a setup tweak to be optimal. I am pretty sure you can use a GT3 FSB on the 981 since I had one in my 718 GTS but have since taken it out in lieu of using a GT4 RSB.
The following 2 users liked this post by Z3papa:
Daan Hoekstra (08-06-2024), Patstat (06-10-2024)
Old 06-10-2024, 06:28 PM
Patstat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dps214
Bridgestone does have a 265/19, but with 9" wheels you're probably overall better off with a 255 anyway. These cars seem to really respond well to the Bridgestones versus the a052s, 255/285 RE71RS works really well on SS gt4s. Honestly I think 18s are the way to go though, better gearing and you get an effective lower ride height without having to compromise the suspension geometry.
Thinking seriously about this, especially when looking at tire prices. The cheaper tires might pay for the wheels in a couple years.
Old 06-10-2024, 06:32 PM
Patstat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Z3papa
If you are doing events in Texas where it is hot as hell, I'd seriously consider CRS v2 if you can find them. I've got a set which are coming off my 19's which were my 2023 Nat's set with just over 30~ runs and 1000 miles which I may give to a local in need if he wants them but I am not inclined to ship. If heat considerations are not in play, the Stones or Yoks are both very fast but need a setup tweak to be optimal. I am pretty sure you can use a GT3 FSB on the 981 since I had one in my 718 GTS but have since taken it out in lieu of using a GT4 RSB.
I'd almost think about running the Falken 660's, but probably only locally. It get's REALLY hot here. I was watering the supercars twice between runs on the drivers side and it hasn't really hit max temp yet.

Maybe the answer is to run Stones in front and A052's in the rear

I realize I need to figure out the multi-quote...instead of just acknowledging it exists.

Last edited by Patstat; 06-10-2024 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 10:31 AM
Patstat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dps214
What's the starting point suspension? To my knowledge there aren't many front bar upgrade options, basically just X73 and GT4. I have the GT4 front bar but if I was doing it again I'd probably go X73 instead. And GT4 or aftermarket rear bar if you don't have one already. Also note that the front bar is a huge pain to replace involving dropping the front subframe, where the rear bar is a ten minute job. Are you really having wheelspin issues? I've never had any issues on my S. It does have the factory LSD but that has barely any lockup, and at 90k miles I wouldn't be surprised if it's dead anyway. I've driven both my car and a non-LSD car in AS trim with stock front bar and GT4 rear bar and the lack of LSD was barely noticeable and never an actual problem. I would think it would be possible to fit 275s in the front if you really wanted to, but I don't think it'll do much for you especially if you're sticking with the 9" wheels.
Looking at the Tarett bladed front bar and it looks like it might be possible to cut the stock bar out and replace the bar without dropping what looks like, at least one side of the subframe, like you can do with the Karcepts bar for an ND miata ?

Regardless, I'm not sure this would happen this year or not, but might make sense to do when I replace my rotors which will likely happen this year.

Last edited by Patstat; 06-12-2024 at 10:33 AM.
Old 06-12-2024, 10:55 AM
stellman
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

I think first step is to head to Soulspeed and get a more aggressive alignment. Make sure to get the rake right at well.

I'll have my CRSv2 with half a season taken off my car next month (getting Stones) so you're welcome to try those if they fit (245/35/19 and 305/30/19)

If you want to agree on a SASCA event to go to we can either swap or pick a car to double drive to get a different opinion.
Old 06-12-2024, 10:58 AM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by stellman
I think first step is to head to Soulspeed and get a more aggressive alignment. Make sure to get the rake right at well.

I'll have my CRSv2 with half a season taken off my car next month (getting Stones) so you're welcome to try those if they fit (245/35/19 and 305/30/19)

If you want to agree on a SASCA event to go to we can either swap or pick a car to double drive to get a different opinion.
So do I.
Old 06-12-2024, 11:15 AM
Patstat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by stellman

Sounds like a plan. SoulSpeed did the alignment on the CAM mustang. It was a little scary on the street, but it sure did have amazing turn-in. It was still on stock bushings, and, 315's square, so that might have been what made it hairy.

Did you have them corner balance too ? I just had them do an alignment and that was $200ish. Curious what the full corner balancing costs. From what I've read, these cars can be pretty well cross weighted from the factory. I guess maybe get the alignment, and maybe decide at a later time. I'm likely going to have to miss our next RCCC event due to Oncall duties.

Last edited by Patstat; 06-12-2024 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-12-2024, 11:22 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Patstat
Sounds like a plan. SoulSpeed did the alignment on the CAM mustang. It was a little scary on the street, but it sure did have amazing turn-in. It was still on stock bushings, and, 315's square, so that might have been what made it hairy.

Did you have them corner balance too ? I just had them do an alignment and that was $200ish. Curious what the full corner balancing costs.
You don't need an alignment that is scary on the street to have a car that will generate good times at an autocross.

The corner balance will be expensive, I would guess more than 3x what you're used to paying for an alignment.
Old 06-12-2024, 03:45 PM
stellman
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Shoot them an email and ask. I've only done alignments with them but will eventually do a corner balance on the Miata once I decide what I'm going to do with it.

Helps they are just up the street from my house. If you go on a Monday or Friday ping me and we'll get a coffee.
Old 06-12-2024, 04:11 PM
Patstat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
You don't need an alignment that is scary on the street to have a car that will generate good times at an autocross.

The corner balance will be expensive, I would guess more than 3x what you're used to paying for an alignment.
Yeah, I think it was more the alignment making more apparent how bad the 70k mile stock rear subframe bushings were.
Old 06-13-2024, 12:56 AM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Patstat
I'd almost think about running the Falken 660's, but probably only locally. It get's REALLY hot here. I was watering the supercars twice between runs on the drivers side and it hasn't really hit max temp yet.

Maybe the answer is to run Stones in front and A052's in the rear

I realize I need to figure out the multi-quote...instead of just acknowledging it exists.
Unless it won't fit, I'll be trying this this weekend at a local on my 987.1 Cayman. I need to fit check the 295/30-18 Yoko on the rear as it's what I plan to run at Nationals to find out if I need a different spacer thickness. (I will never run Bridgestones at Lincoln again.)

Quick Reply: Cayman in STU, anyone else? questions...