Notices

981 gearing for Auto-x

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 12:51 PM
bpstanaway
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ProParts took so long for my order a few years ago I canceled it, it’s a shame, they know autox and if I had known the timeline I maybe could’ve made it work. PSI does a lot of work but I don’t know how much autox they know, it’s a one hour drive to their shop from my house and nobody I know uses them, if you know exactly what you want they can do it, if not I’d pick someone who knows autox.

If this is for a street class car I’d pull the trigger on those Konis, it’s not worth sitting on the sidelines imho.

I thought Whitener only did Bilsteins for Honda and Miata, and I heard a rumor he was doing redshift BC’s? Him being local I’d jump on that if I was doing an ST+ build.
Old 05-17-2023, 12:55 PM
Patstat
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, CS, this year. I wanted the Doubles to facilitate moving to STR without a lot of new work. The CS national champ is in our club, but moved to STR this year. Been watching and learning.
Old 05-17-2023, 01:12 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by bpstanaway
ProParts took so long for my order a few years ago I canceled it, it’s a shame, they know autox and if I had known the timeline I maybe could’ve made it work. PSI does a lot of work but I don’t know how much autox they know, it’s a one hour drive to their shop from my house and nobody I know uses them, if you know exactly what you want they can do it, if not I’d pick someone who knows autox.

If this is for a street class car I’d pull the trigger on those Konis, it’s not worth sitting on the sidelines imho.

I thought Whitener only did Bilsteins for Honda and Miata, and I heard a rumor he was doing redshift BC’s? Him being local I’d jump on that if I was doing an ST+ build.
I wasn't aware of his/their issues reached that level. When I ran AST DA's on my Z3, I had them refreshed 2x at Elephant Motorsports but realized having a strong relationship with the shock builder was key. Maybe Karcepts (Brian Karwan) or Shaftworks (Jon Lugod) are an alternative.
Old 05-17-2023, 06:43 PM
bpstanaway
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3papa
I wasn't aware of his/their issues reached that level. When I ran AST DA's on my Z3, I had them refreshed 2x at Elephant Motorsports but realized having a strong relationship with the shock builder was key. Maybe Karcepts (Brian Karwan) or Shaftworks (Jon Lugod) are an alternative.
I still like ProParts, and there’s some things that are literally out of their control working with suppliers overseas these days. They have given me good advice and when parts are available they ship quick as promised, hard to cast judgement without knowing full details. Awaiting parts from Netherlands for DA’s with custom machined CS legal spring perches? I’d be downright impressed with a two month turnaround from anybody.

Does Karwan service dampers in house? I thought he was an MCS distributor, which he’d be my #1 choice if I wanted to spend the money on those, he’s also been very generous with support for me. Lugod has also been great, I agree you want someone who knows what you’re doing which is why PSI doesn’t really blip my shortlist unless someone wants to engineer their own damping profile.

At this point I need to send dampers to Whitener and Shenefield so I can say I’ve spent money with all the autox suspension gurus lol. The list is small.
The following users liked this post:
Z3papa (05-18-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 10:32 AM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

You left off Guy Akeny. Back in my STR days, he heavily solicited me to send him my AST's for free dyno but because he primarily deals in Penske, couldn't source any fronts since they don't or at least didn't do struts.
Old 05-18-2023, 12:22 PM
edfishjr
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3papa
You left off Guy Akeny. Back in my STR days, he heavily solicited me to send him my AST's for free dyno but because he primarily deals in Penske, couldn't source any fronts since they don't or at least didn't do struts.
I think leaving off Ankeny is appropriate. (I've seen some of his recent valving results.)
Old 07-27-2023, 04:14 PM
Patstat
Intermediate

Well, we’re at close to four months now, and I’ve finally requested a refund from proparts. I got another two months of, “it should ship next week”.

You either can make a product within a reasonable amount of time, or you can’t, or you advertise the correct amount of lead time.
Old 07-31-2023, 04:24 PM
BmacIL
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Nokones
I was told by him on two occasions that he did not want to do anything with the Bilstein B6 shocks for the 981.
He did B6s for my 997. Had brand new ones sent to him to pull apart. Not sure why there would be much aversion to the 981s.
Old 08-07-2023, 04:49 PM
Patstat
Intermediate

Now at over a month since the last of four, "they should ship next week", and three weeks since I asked for them to process a refund.

Guess I'm getting my CC company involved and BBB. Hoping to not have to go to small claims.

Not a good experience with Proparts, I'd have to say. A little honesty would have gone a long way, and maybe I wouldn't have entirely thrown a season away.

Last edited by Patstat; 08-07-2023 at 04:50 PM.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:24 PM
BmacIL
Racer

I had brand new B6s sent to FCM last March, and they were built and on my car in June. I wish you luck with all that.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:34 PM
Patstat
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BmacIL
He did B6s for my 997. Had brand new ones sent to him to pull apart. Not sure why there would be much aversion to the 981s.
Not that I'll be ordering from them again, but what was your turnaround time ? Just curious. Guessing that higher profit product probably get's addressed quicker. Had he just advertised a realistic turnaround time, I'd have no problem. I probably wouldn't have purchased them, but wouldn't be ticked off, and maybe would have if I had an entire season to wait.

Should have just done more research, and probably ordered from Whitener.

***Working on getting the refund with Proparts. I'm pretty pissy about this, as it's at least contributed to me missing the 50th solo nats. I've learned a lesson that apparently others seem to know, that ProParts does good work, but seems to overextend themselves from a timing standpoint, and it wouldn't hurt if they would update their lead times on the website. I feel like I'm giving them the benefit of the the doubt there. I would have just bought the stock koni's and made do, if I hadn't had multiple ship date promises.

Anyway, likely on to an STU build for the 981, for next year, as I've now forcibly spent the time figuring the car out in stock form with just the wider wheels, and I think it's got some more time in it. Probably not enough to catch up to a well driven boost buggy, but I'm willing to see. It doesn't even have 200tw tires on it yet.

Last edited by Patstat; 08-07-2023 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-07-2023, 05:38 PM
BmacIL
Racer

From receipt of dampers to shipping to me it was ~2 months. That's full custom rebuild w/ stops and dyno. If nothing else was on his plate, I'm sure some time could have been shaved off that, but it worked for my needs.
Old 08-09-2023, 03:02 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Patstat
***Working on getting the refund with Proparts. I'm pretty pissy about this, as it's at least contributed to me missing the 50th solo nats. I've learned a lesson that apparently others seem to know, that ProParts does good work, but seems to overextend themselves from a timing standpoint, and it wouldn't hurt if they would update their lead times on the website. I feel like I'm giving them the benefit of the the doubt there. I would have just bought the stock koni's and made do, if I hadn't had multiple ship date promises...
Good to hear there is a resolution in the works and glad to be of assistance.

Quick Reply: 981 gearing for Auto-x