Notices

2022 SCCA PAX released

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2021 | 12:59 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Default 2022 SCCA PAX released

The hard hit to SS affects many of you who run PAX type classes.

https://www.solotime.info/pax/
Old 11-19-2021 | 08:37 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

The SS adjustment was long overdue! Half the field is not only WAY faster in every way than AS, but come from the factory with basically full ST allowances. I'm glad Rick's finally starting to shift SS where it really aught to have been. Still not far enough, but that's an artifact of Rick's algorithm that's unlikely to change any time soon. I mean... GT3 can get more camber in SS than I can in my Boxster in STU, plus another about 200hp.... yet it's still only 0.001 stiffer than STU? I wonder if the next PSI update will help address the imbalance between SS and STU in Prosolo S3 bump class? Was crazy that SS had a softer PSI than STU.

BS got hit pretty hard, too; +0.004. SSP stayed the same, though. So there's your answer, folks: mod up to SSP this winter!

Last edited by sjfehr; 11-19-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-20-2021 | 04:35 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sjfehr
The SS adjustment was long overdue! Half the field is not only WAY faster in every way than AS, but come from the factory with basically full ST allowances. I'm glad Rick's finally starting to shift SS where it really aught to have been. Still not far enough, but that's an artifact of Rick's algorithm that's unlikely to change any time soon. I mean... GT3 can get more camber in SS than I can in my Boxster in STU, plus another about 200hp.... yet it's still only 0.001 stiffer than STU?...
This is not how PAX works or is ever intended to work. PAX is based on the potential of the class winning car(s) across an entire season. An STU boxster isn't the winning car for STU so this isn't valid even if I can sympathize because in the end you have that PAX too.

That said, SS was soft and this adjustment is probably right. I don't think it was too small, as you don't know where balance of power will shift so a .007 change is a huge single year change when most get at .001-004 change historically on average.
The following 2 users liked this post by abqautoxer:
David Borden (11-21-2021), Z3papa (11-20-2021)
Old 11-22-2021 | 02:31 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
This is not how PAX works or is ever intended to work. PAX is based on the potential of the class winning car(s) across an entire season. An STU boxster isn't the winning car for STU so this isn't valid even if I can sympathize because in the end you have that PAX too.

That said, SS was soft and this adjustment is probably right. I don't think it was too small, as you don't know where balance of power will shift so a .007 change is a huge single year change when most get at .001-004 change historically on average.
I agree. With the release of the new 992 GT3 and other exotics (Z06, etc.) that will likley fall in SS, this bump in PAX is needed. I know it may not be a popular idea, but I would love to see those cars go to an entirely new exotic street class. I would like to see more options for newer 911s and 718 S/GTS.4.0 to compete, without having to be lumped in with the GT3/GT4s/Z06/NSX.
The following 2 users liked this post by chriswd62:
stellman (02-28-2022), Tompoodie (12-18-2021)
Old 11-22-2021 | 02:47 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chriswd62
I agree. With the release of the new 992 GT3 and other exotics (Z06, etc.) that will likley fall in SS, this bump in PAX is needed. I know it may not be a popular idea, but I would love to see those cars go to an entirely new exotic street class. I would like to see more options for newer 911s and 718 S/GTS.4.0 to compete, without having to be lumped in with the GT3/GT4s/Z06/NSX.
The problem, historically, is classes built on those types of 'B' versions of the car do not make up classes well except with Pony cars where more people will buy/autox a GT/SS than a ZL1/GT350/GT500. I get the desire for the class but in a club that already has 10 too many classes, its hard to argue the niche will be well enough subscribed at nats. Locally you can make these classes for but the national ruleset which only handles nationals as its objectives, it makes less sense.
Old 11-22-2021 | 04:36 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

PAX comparison for 2021 and 2022:

Last edited by chriswd62; 11-23-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-23-2021 | 12:27 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Thanks for posting that, Chris. I've seen a couple other versions, but yours is easier to read. I do see one small error: XSA was 0.846 in 2021; it softened .003 for this year.
Old 11-23-2021 | 09:14 AM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Thanks for posting that, Chris. I've seen a couple other versions, but yours is easier to read. I do see one small error: XSA was 0.846 in 2021; it softened .003 for this year.
Good catch. Thanks! Fixed.
Old 11-23-2021 | 11:38 AM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chriswd62
I agree the SS/AS/BS space is getting a bit crowded these days. Problem is, we really don't mess with success. C6z06/981 led AS is still super strong. When current AS numbers start to wane, that's when you'll see moves made. Most likely the next gen of AS will be built around the C8 z51 plus whatever plays nice with it.

The big rise of SS was a bit surprising and is giving us pause as to just dumping anything faster than AS and under $200k in there, hopefully we can keep that a healthy class. Expect to see the Street exclusion list used a bit more often.
Old 11-23-2021 | 11:49 AM
BmacIL
Racer

Originally Posted by burglar
I agree the SS/AS/BS space is getting a bit crowded these days. Problem is, we really don't mess with success. C6z06/981 led AS is still super strong. When current AS numbers start to wane, that's when you'll see moves made. Most likely the next gen of AS will be built around the C8 z51 plus whatever plays nice with it.

The big rise of SS was a bit surprising and is giving us pause as to just dumping anything faster than AS and under $200k in there, hopefully we can keep that a healthy class. Expect to see the Street exclusion list used a bit more often.
That new GT4 RS is gonna have a good chance to be very strong in SS.
Old 11-23-2021 | 11:53 AM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Yeah the natural fear for guys in SS is the C8Z, I think it might upset the class despite the width and I think with more C8 Z51s getting into the wild, SS will grow more. It blows me away too given the buy in costs but they are at least finally legit good premium cars instead of just very pretty.
Old 11-23-2021 | 01:30 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BmacIL
That new GT4 RS is gonna have a good chance to be very strong in SS.
The GT4 RS will most likely end up on the exclusion list, but who knows. If they allow the 992 GT3 and C8Z06 in SS, then they should allow the GT4 RS; however, even with the additional HP, stiffer suspension and gearing advantage, it may not be very competitive given the wheel, tire, suspension geometry and available camber adjustments on the 992 GT3 and C8Z06. Which brings me back to my original statement. If the top cars in a class are all approaching $200K or beyond, then they either need a new class or they should be excluded from SS.

Last edited by chriswd62; 11-23-2021 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-23-2021 | 01:33 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

GT4RS will assumedly be an exclusion list car. Should do nothing worse than the regular GT4 which already runs at the top and is harder to get and maybe unintentional limited production numbers. I would be shocked if its classed.
Old 11-23-2021 | 02:27 PM
GT4Pat
Intermediate

Very interesting thread. Maybe this will shine a little light. SS has always been the halo class. The class where the coolest sports cars drop into. Its always been the most transitional class. Every year its had a new top car as the latest and greatest car hit that class. Its a proving ground or a starting point if you will for cars...then they trickle into respective classes. ( I remember when the CRXSi was in SS) At least this is how it was until the C5 Z06 came out.. Then the class exploded... I remember everyone saying no way people will spend 50K plus for an SS car....and 50 showed up at nationals.... Then the C6Z came along and it got bigger!....Then in went the 997 GT3, Lotus Elise and a few others...it continued to grow... When the GT3 went in everyone said WOW 100K car, no way. you will kill the class...that year 6 showed up..and the field was 60 cars.. The 991 came out.... the GT4 came out. Since, SS has proven that you can have over a million dollars in grid.. People spend the money for the cool cars.

Where am I going? Yes, SS is due for a tweak, (my opinion) the lower cars in SS (in my opinion) need to move out to A /B / etc and those classes require tweaking. ( cayman R, lotus, maybe 2016 gt4 for example)
We are entering into a crazy time.... C8Z06/GT3/GT4RS/Emira/NSX type S.... All of these cars are the top cars that everyone wants to have. Will they be excluded from SS? In my opinion, NOPE.....(maybe the NSX as they are only making 300 we will see 600HP wow).... The balance C8Z06 (They will make what 25K? It will reset the bar with HP 670 awesome chassis, PDK, computer controlled diff) This opens the door for the GT3.....That opens the door for the GT4RS... (same power on skinnier tires, less downforce). Both Porsches Porsche has said they will make as many as they have orders for.be patient .(They will make halo cars until the electric cars take over).. Heck they made 3500 991.2 GT3s in 2018.... Most certain the NEW GT3 will sell just as many... same for the GT4RS.... The cost??? Its clear from the 991s, people will open their wallets for this class. If you see that people are willing to spend 50K over sticker to get a GT3... People have cash, stupid cash.

Remember, it took a little bit but the 997 GT3 RS is in SS.....if you can find it and buy it... I would not be surprised to see the 991.1 or .2 GT3 RS move into SS down the road based on the new cars that I expect to go into SS....
Hang on, its gonna be one hell of a ride..
The following users liked this post:
rnrouss99 (11-23-2021)
Old 11-23-2021 | 02:31 PM
BmacIL
Racer

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
GT4RS will assumedly be an exclusion list car. Should do nothing worse than the regular GT4 which already runs at the top and is harder to get and maybe unintentional limited production numbers. I would be shocked if its classed.
Guess we'll find out!

Quick Reply: 2022 SCCA PAX released