steguis
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It’s coming along quite nicely!
Old 03-19-2019, 07:08 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 121 Posts

Update on alignment: The GTS was only able to get about -1.5 degrees of camber up front, which is about the same as what I got on my base 718, even with the -20mm PASM (my base 718 had the -10mm PASM). I was hoping for more negative camber up front, but oh well. I was, however, able to get over -2 degrees in the rear, vs. -1.8 on the base, which is more in line with what I expected. I may try to loosen all of the front suspension mounting points to see if I can get a bit more, because I'm a bit perplexed as to why I can't get more than -1.5 degrees with the additional 10mm drop of the PASM Sport.

Last edited by chriswd62; 03-20-2019 at 11:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
WillyDaP (06-22-2023)
Old 03-19-2019, 10:06 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

I was only able to get -0.7 front camber on my 987S and -0.8 on my 987.2S. Porsche, inexplicably, gives these cars really terrible camber adjustability.
Kaybat (04-25-2023)
Old 04-29-2019, 09:41 AM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

My first event of the year is in the bag! I was certainly a bit rusty, but somehow manged to squeak out the FTD and PAX win. My last run was 1.1 seconds faster on a ~65 second course, but I coned it away, so I know I was leaving a lot of time on the table. Car felt good, but I'm still adjusting to the DSC Sport suspension. The suspension felt a bit softer overall, but the car was fairly predictable. Here are a few pics from the event.

Last edited by chriswd62; 04-29-2019 at 04:58 PM.
WillyDaP (06-22-2023)
Old 04-29-2019, 10:15 AM
Gamecock718
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice, congrats on the great results, first time out. The car looks awesome! I don't know much about the DSC controllers; I need to do some reading. I assume you're thinking that it's necessary to unlock the full potential in stock form?
Old 04-29-2019, 04:57 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gamecock718
Nice, congrats on the great results, first time out. The car looks awesome! I don't know much about the DSC controllers; I need to do some reading. I assume you're thinking that it's necessary to unlock the full potential in stock form?
Thanks. It's a bit too early to tell if the DSC Sport Controller is necessary, but now that it's allowed in SS and can be used to fine tune the suspension, I figured it's worth a try. I'm currently running it with the off-the-shelf tune, but I hope to be able to fine tune the car's balance over time.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:04 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 545 Likes on 371 Posts

Nice work! I'm excited to track a 718 soon.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:42 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Update: After a few events using the DSC Sport controller, I decided to sell it and go back to the stock PASM controller. IMO, the out of the box tune was just way too soft for autocross. I really struggled with slaloms and fast transitions with the DSC. I know i could have just tuned the DSC to my liking, but I wasn't able to put in the time and effort required to tune it. IMO, the car feels much more predictable with the stock suspension tune. For anyone thinking the DSC Sport controller is going to be a big performance enhancer for autocross right out of the box, you may want to do some more research. For me, it certainly was not.
The following 2 users liked this post by chriswd62:
Fume (08-05-2019), WillyDaP (06-22-2023)
Old 08-06-2019, 04:12 PM
AdventureFlea
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chriswd62
Update: After a few events using the DSC Sport controller, I decided to sell it and go back to the stock PASM controller. IMO, the out of the box tune was just way too soft for autocross. I really struggled with slaloms and fast transitions with the DSC. I know i could have just tuned the DSC to my liking, but I wasn't able to put in the time and effort required to tune it. IMO, the car feels much more predictable with the stock suspension tune. For anyone thinking the DSC Sport controller is going to be a big performance enhancer for autocross right out of the box, you may want to do some more research. For me, it certainly was not.
Did you try to play around with sway bar settings and the box in the "off the shelf" map setting? I found the box to be pretty amazing with my GT4 and just some sway bar setting changes. I am also going to spend a considerable time coming up here at the end of the month tuning the car while in Lincoln for the SCCA Pro and Solo National Championships.

I like the fact that it allows the car to absorb bumpy lots a lot nicer than the factory box. But again, everyone has their own driving styles, approach, etc...
Old 08-08-2019, 01:45 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdventureFlea
Did you try to play around with sway bar settings and the box in the "off the shelf" map setting? I found the box to be pretty amazing with my GT4 and just some sway bar setting changes. I am also going to spend a considerable time coming up here at the end of the month tuning the car while in Lincoln for the SCCA Pro and Solo National Championships.

I like the fact that it allows the car to absorb bumpy lots a lot nicer than the factory box. But again, everyone has their own driving styles, approach, etc...

I didn't. The GTS doesn't have any adjustments on the factory sway bars and I didn't feel the need to upgrade the front or rear bars, because the overall balance (after the proper alignment) felt great. I was planning to try different settings on the DSC controller, but just never had the free time or expertise needed to do it.

The 981GT4 may be an entirely different story and the DSC may have a different out of the box tune than on the 718. I only know from my own experience. For me, the car felt unpredictable which didn't inspire confidence, and predictability is essential to get the confidence to drive at the limit and place the car where you intend it to be.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:53 PM
AdventureFlea
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I didn't. The GTS doesn't have any adjustments on the factory sway bars and I didn't feel the need to upgrade the front or rear bars, because the overall balance (after the proper alignment) felt great. I was planning to try different settings on the DSC controller, but just never had the free time or expertise needed to do it.

The 981GT4 may be an entirely different story and the DSC may have a different out of the box tune than on the 718. I only know from my own experience. For me, the car felt unpredictable which didn't inspire confidence, and predictability is essential to get the confidence to drive at the limit and place the car where you intend it to be.
Yeah, I didn't think about that. It does require a sway setup change but it basically allows the GT4 to do some crazy things. I will be spending a lot of time in Lincoln this year doing TnT to get the box right for the Lincoln concrete. So next year my car should be even better. I just had some really encouraging runs at the Oscoda ProSolo this past weekend (coned and red light away from a 2nd place in SS)

I know you say your car is working well, but I would suggest taking advantage of at least the sway bar allowance. Stock class will allow a front or back bar and honestly you can only get better having an adjustable one on at least one end of the car.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:28 PM
sholzer
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

You should make the trip down to WDCR this weekend!
Old 08-15-2019, 02:38 PM
chriswd62
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sholzer
You should make the trip down to WDCR this weekend!
I wish I could, but I can't make it down there this weekend. Maybe next time.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:37 AM
mdr911
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

I just picked-up a 2018 GTS and am planning to track heavily with it. My only other track experience was with my Targa 4 and a 991.1 Turbo S. The nimble handling of the GTS is something else and on a very fast track (ACS) I never once felt unsettled. I was going to get the DSC as I hear raves about it for the 911 but after you review I may hold-off. The reality is the stock SPASM on Sport+ never felt like it had too much roll / give and if you really need to spend a lot of time dialing in the DSC it may not be a great fit for my needs (I'm not a gear head- just a speed junky). I am getting 18" Titan-7s and looking to do 255 / 275 or 265 / 285 - any recommendations there? Would you also recommend your camber adjustments? Thanks!
Old 11-22-2019, 06:46 PM
JKinOB
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Update on alignment: The GTS was only able to get about -1.5 degrees of camber up front, which is about the same as what I got on my base 718, even with the -20mm PASM (my base 718 had the -10mm PASM). I was hoping for more negative camber up front, but oh well. I was, however, able to get over -2 degrees in the rear, vs. -1.8 on the base, which is more in line with what I expected. I may try to loosen all of the front suspension mounting points to see if I can get a bit more, because I'm a bit perplexed as to why I can't get more than -1.5 degrees with the additional 10mm drop of the PASM Sport.

I know the post with your alignment is a bit dated, but I have a couple of questions about it.

It looks like you reduced the tow out in front from -0°12' to -0°05'.

Was that intentional or a byproduct of (or needed for) the camber adjustment?

If it was intention, what was the reason?

Thanks!

John

Quick Reply: 718 Cayman GTS Autocross Super Street Build