Notices

718 Cayman GTS Autocross Super Street Build

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2020, 01:18 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by abqautoxer
I don't know but since I do my own smartstrings alignments, I've never reset a porsche that I've done yet but this is newest I have done. Very curious if it does now.

Also, I installed a CMS front sway bar yesterday along with their modified OE bushings and endlinks. So far on the street you can tell on the middle hole you have more bar but its not a huge change giving me 2 holes I can go in either direction if needed.
Do you have any events on the CMS bar and what are your thoughts in terms of initial settings? I've got one in my office and could get it installed but we have only one more weekend left. Not sure if I may just hold off till next spring.
Old 11-01-2020, 02:02 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

The state shutdown all autox events until further notice just after I installed it. So, no events on it yet. I can tell the middle hole is stiff enough to be a noticeable change from the stock bar. I would guess by my math full stiff on the CMS is barely stiffer than the softest setting on the 991 GT3 front bar which was the range I wanted.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:22 PM
AlB43
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at 718S used and need the right options for SS. My question is, is SPASM necessary or that much better or is regular PASM pretty good and good enough? Serious local Autocross and light track would be the goal.

I'm thinking I definitely need PTV, chrono would be nice but not necessary for manual, and lastly just not sure if I need SPASM vs PASM.

I know your GTS has all the goodies. What do you think is absolutely necessary?

Last edited by AlB43; 11-19-2020 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2020, 02:25 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AlB43
Looking at 718S used since GTS holds its value so much better but need the right options. My question is, is SPASM necessary or that much better or is regular PASM pretty good and good enough? Serious local Autocross and light track would be the goal.
To be honest it's an unknown what the exact difference is other than height but its minor for sure in terms of %. For locals, I wouldn't sweat the difference at all between SPASM vs PASM, nor S vs GTS. The GTS gets bigger sway bars, rear being the key to allow you to change out the front for more options is my thinking but unproven still at this point. This is why I opted for a GTS SPASM thinking its the best possible but in reality it might not pan out to more than noise of the driver IMO.

Old 11-19-2020, 02:42 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Double post
Old 11-20-2020, 08:20 PM
sobiloff
Racer

Received 209 Likes on 133 Posts

Be aware of the S's problems with overheating turbo servos. This isn't a problem for autox, but it can crop up at track days. GTS (and base) don't suffer from the issue.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:19 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 104 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3papa
I'm currently running 265/35-19F/285/35-19R. I chose these sizes in part because my prior experience is to favor less stagger and a more neutral setup. I wasn't thrilled about the concept of a 30-40mm stagger (ie. 265/305) in that I thought it would invoke terminal understeer. Candidly, my prior experience is not in P cars and it completely failed to take into account the 43/57 weight distribution.
Z3papa what offsets did you go with the 19” wheels front and back ?
Any trouble mounting the 265 on the front 8.5” width wheel ?

I have a set of the sport classic wheels 8.5” front” and 10.5” rear. Mounted a set of F1 supercars on them, I wonder if tire rack would mount a 265 SC3 on 19” front wheel for me ?

Thanks for any input.

David
Old 12-04-2020, 12:06 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
Z3papa what offsets did you go with the 19” wheels front and back ?
Any trouble mounting the 265 on the front 8.5” width wheel ?

I have a set of the sport classic wheels 8.5” front” and 10.5” rear. Mounted a set of F1 supercars on them, I wonder if tire rack would mount a 265 SC3 on 19” front wheel for me ?

Thanks for any input.

David
I bought the custom CCW wheels from a Rennlist member who spec'd them out at 50F/40R. The 265's rub the passenger inner wheel well at full lock and 255's are probably a better play as there is further outspacing permitted.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:38 PM
David Borden
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 58 Posts

Not running 19s since no yokos in that diameter that work. So 255/285 35/20 on the optional 8.5/10.5 widths. Taller than ideal but the PDK's gearing makes the 70mph in 2nd quite good and enough grunt to dig. However on your manual that would be probably too tall and laggy on the 2.0. I'd probably try a 255/275 35/19 setup on a T. Please share what you do and how it works. I don't have enough events to kill my yokos this year nor justify testing anything else. I'll be running the PS4S at Time Trials Nationals as the only Porsche in Sport 1 once Danny switches to his NC miata.
I assume you are running the Yokohama A052 in the sizes you mentioned above? Do you feel you have lost any acceleration or braking due to the taller and heavier weight of the 20 inch tires and wheels? Im struggling a bit with what sizes to go with. Last year we ran 245/40-18 and 275/40-18 A052 and they worked really really well... Like #1 in PAX at one event out of 100 drivers in a competitive region. I just got off the phone with Yokohama and they are discontinuing the 245/40-18 but apparently they will continue to make the 255/40-18. The 255 is taller and was not sure if that would cause problems with ABS.

Have you had any issues with the ABS getting confused with the 255/285 35/20 you mentioned above and having the ABS get confused and braking going away for a moment or anything like that?

David
Old 03-08-2021, 07:40 PM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

As wide as the Yoks run, I'd bet that 245/40-18 was actually a 255 to begin with. What are your wheel specs on the 18"s. I was of the impression that you'd be limited to 18x8 front and 18x10 rear. I'd be hard pressed to suggest running a 255 on a 8" wheel unless you want steering response to be total mush.
Old 03-08-2021, 10:04 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by David Borden
I assume you are running the Yokohama A052 in the sizes you mentioned above? Do you feel you have lost any acceleration or braking due to the taller and heavier weight of the 20 inch tires and wheels? Im struggling a bit with what sizes to go with. Last year we ran 245/40-18 and 275/40-18 A052 and they worked really really well... Like #1 in PAX at one event out of 100 drivers in a competitive region. I just got off the phone with Yokohama and they are discontinuing the 245/40-18 but apparently they will continue to make the 255/40-18. The 255 is taller and was not sure if that would cause problems with ABS.

Have you had any issues with the ABS getting confused with the 255/285 35/20 you mentioned above and having the ABS get confused and braking going away for a moment or anything like that?

David
There is no reason for ABS to be confused with the stagger so close to stock.

The 718 GTS doesn't have torque issues, so no it felt fine with the 1" taller tire. PAX isn't all that useful without knowing so many things like surface (yokos are the king of asphalt), temps, course etc. Without knowing what you have I don't know if your low end torque would suffer. Not sure I understand the "heavier" 20's statement. The GTS come with 20s stock so 18s aren't on the table and last year there was no 19" tire I cared about. I sold my GTS and am waiting to pickup my 718 GT4. With that in mind, my journey in this thread is over.
The following users liked this post:
Z3papa (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 12:50 AM
Z3papa
Rennlist Member

There is no reason for ABS to be confused with the stagger so close to stock.

The 718 GTS doesn't have torque issues, so no it felt fine with the 1" taller tire. PAX isn't all that useful without knowing so many things like surface (yokos are the king of asphalt), temps, course etc. Without knowing what you have I don't know if your low end torque would suffer. Not sure I understand the "heavier" 20's statement. The GTS come with 20s stock so 18s aren't on the table and last year there was no 19" tire I cared about. I sold my GTS and am waiting to pickup my 718 GT4. With that in mind, my journey in this thread is over.
Thanks for your contribution.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:49 PM
Greg_STL
Instructor

Received 238 Likes on 77 Posts

Yes for autox I completely manual shift. Mostly it has to do with sub 30mph apex corners. The PDK's logic isn't tuned with autox in mind and won't go to 1st unless you are sub 20mph or so or go WOT. Any corner below 30mph, I want 1st as it gets rid of any lag and I can be smoother.

I've hit ABS a few times during autox though rare and I think I would have noticed PSM coming back on and I haven't witnessed it. I run PSM off for autox.
I have a new PDK GTS 4.0 that I have taken to two AutoX events. I usually run just a couple events a year and am coming out of an Audi TTS. I'm not super competitive but I enjoy the events. I ran the first event with the stock everything, factory alignment, sport plus, and with a long press on the PSM to disable all of the nannies. Our usual lot has lots of sand/gravel in spots and traction can be an issue. We actually use a broom and blower on the walk thru to try to tame it some. I placed 24th of 57 by PAX and was not really happy with the car with all the nannies off. I talked with a 987 Cayman driver that came in 10th and he said he runs with PSM on. I realized with all the nannies off that I probably turned off torque vectoring as well.

So, event two, I ran with everything the same but PSM on. I felt that the car did rotate in the slaloms much better but I felt I was fighting the PDK at times. I actually saw it jump up to 4th gear coming out of a tight 180 corner. I was also having issues getting launch control to actually launch. It would hold the RPM before launch but then it would bog down and slowly accelerate in higher gears out of the starting box. WTF. I didn't try to launch on the first run, good launch on run 2, bad on run 3, bad on run 4. I tend to let my car idle between runs but I actually shut it down between run 4 and 5 and got a good launch again on run 5 but it again failed to launch on run 6. Weird. I've launched my TTS for years and my wife's 997 without ever having issues and I bogged down the Cayman 3 times out of 5 tries. I know there is a PDK update that is getting applied to GTS 4.0s as they go in for service - mine has not been in yet - so maybe some first year glitch? I did place 15th of 56 so I did improve but I left not very satisfied since the PDK was annoying me. I didn't have any issues with the launch control when I ran in the first event when I had the long press PSM off.

Questions:

1. When you say you run with PSM off do you mean the single press that gives the sport PSM settings plus traction control or do you mean the long press that turns off all PSM and turns off traction control?

2. My understanding is that break torque vectoring is on with PSM on, and PSM short press off, but off with PSM long press off? Can anyone confirm?

3. I'm going into the dealership on Wednesday to get a track inspection for a June DE and an alignment. (I'll ask to get the PDK software updated). I'll try to get what additional camber I can get but I'm less sure of what toe settings to ask for. Any suggestions for a dual use (Autox, Track) toe settings? So many of the other threads talk about putting in offset toe links in the rear which I can't do if I want to stay in SS.

4. I didn't have any issues with the launch control when I ran in the first event when I had the long press PSM off. Is there a chance that the PSM was causing the PDK to shift to higher gears as part of its stability programing?

My plan is to go for the single press PSM at the next AutoX event. I'll see if that middle ground helps. I will probably wind up going to manual shifting eventually but I want to try to figure out the PSM settings with as few other adjustments first. I was lucky enough to get at set of 255/285 RE-71s before they went out of stock and bought a set of BC Forged 19x8.5ET50 / 19x10.5ET40 wheels that keep me in SS. I'm trying to wear out the Michelin PS4S that are on my OEM wheels so I can put an all season on for the winter. I'm going to try at least one more autox and one DE event before I swap over the tires/wheels.

Last edited by Greg_STL; 05-17-2021 at 09:52 PM.
Old 05-17-2021, 11:19 PM
abqautoxer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Greg_STL
I have a new PDK GTS 4.0 that I have taken to two AutoX events. I usually run just a couple events a year and am coming out of an Audi TTS. I'm not super competitive but I enjoy the events. I ran the first event with the stock everything, factory alignment, sport plus, and with a long press on the PSM to disable all of the nannies. Our usual lot has lots of sand/gravel in spots and traction can be an issue. We actually use a broom and blower on the walk thru to try to tame it some. I placed 24th of 57 by PAX and was not really happy with the car with all the nannies off. I talked with a 987 Cayman driver that came in 10th and he said he runs with PSM on. I realized with all the nannies off that I probably turned off torque vectoring as well.

So, event two, I ran with everything the same but PSM on. I felt that the car did rotate in the slaloms much better but I felt I was fighting the PDK at times. I actually saw it jump up to 4th gear coming out of a tight 180 corner. I was also having issues getting launch control to actually launch. It would hold the RPM before launch but then it would bog down and slowly accelerate in higher gears out of the starting box. WTF. I didn't try to launch on the first run, good launch on run 2, bad on run 3, bad on run 4. I tend to let my car idle between runs but I actually shut it down between run 4 and 5 and got a good launch again on run 5 but it again failed to launch on run 6. Weird. I've launched my TTS for years and my wife's 997 without ever having issues and I bogged down the Cayman 3 times out of 5 tries. I know there is a PDK update that is getting applied to GTS 4.0s as they go in for service - mine has not been in yet - so maybe some first year glitch? I did place 15th of 56 so I did improve but I left not very satisfied since the PDK was annoying me. I didn't have any issues with the launch control when I ran in the first event when I had the long press PSM off.

Questions:

1. When you say you run with PSM off do you mean the single press that gives the sport PSM settings plus traction control or do you mean the long press that turns off all PSM and turns off traction control?

2. My understanding is that break torque vectoring is on with PSM on, and PSM short press off, but off with PSM long press off? Can anyone confirm?

3. I'm going into the dealership on Wednesday to get a track inspection for a June DE and an alignment. (I'll ask to get the PDK software updated). I'll try to get what additional camber I can get but I'm less sure of what toe settings to ask for. Any suggestions for a dual use (Autox, Track) toe settings? So many of the other threads talk about putting in offset toe links in the rear which I can't do if I want to stay in SS.

4. I didn't have any issues with the launch control when I ran in the first event when I had the long press PSM off. Is there a chance that the PSM was causing the PDK to shift to higher gears as part of its stability programing?

My plan is to go for the single press PSM at the next AutoX event. I'll see if that middle ground helps. I will probably wind up going to manual shifting eventually but I want to try to figure out the PSM settings with as few other adjustments first. I was lucky enough to get at set of 255/285 RE-71s before they went out of stock and bought a set of BC Forged 19x8.5ET50 / 19x10.5ET40 wheels that keep me in SS. I'm trying to wear out the Michelin PS4S that are on my OEM wheels so I can put an all season on for the winter. I'm going to try at least one more autox and one DE event before I swap over the tires/wheels.
1 and 2. I ran full long press off. Torque vectoring still works, I could feel it on my GTS. I used the sport mode traction control on track because it never interfered and I like the idea it could help if something unexpected happened like fluids on track.
3. The problem here is the advice for alignment is tricky. I like the rear end to move around so I dont get the terminal understeer midcorner these cars can get. So I ran zero toe all around then changed the front sway bar out to something a bit stiffer. A safe setting is max negative camber with zero toe in the front. -.5 more rear camber and 1/8" total rear toe in.
4. IIRC Launch Control only works if you are in Sport (chassis) mode. You have to brake then in one motion floor it. Any variance will make it act weird or cancel.
Old 05-18-2021, 12:36 AM
Greg_STL
Instructor

Received 238 Likes on 77 Posts

1 and 2. I ran full long press off. Torque vectoring still works, I could feel it on my GTS. I used the sport mode traction control on track because it never interfered and I like the idea it could help if something unexpected happened like fluids on track.
3. The problem here is the advice for alignment is tricky. I like the rear end to move around so I dont get the terminal understeer midcorner these cars can get. So I ran zero toe all around then changed the front sway bar out to something a bit stiffer. A safe setting is max negative camber with zero toe in the front. -.5 more rear camber and 1/8" total rear toe in.
4. IIRC Launch Control only works if you are in Sport (chassis) mode. You have to brake then in one motion floor it. Any variance will make it act weird or cancel.
Thanks. I appreciate the input on the suspension settings. Safe is a good place to start. I'm not sure what was going on with the Launch control. I definitely had it in sport plus and it did work twice - the message saying launch control was activated appeared on the display - it just was not happy. It is just odd that I went 6 for 6 on good launches in the first event but only 2 of 5 in the second event. Fingers crossed it was just something with this PDK update they are pushing out.

Quick Reply: 718 Cayman GTS Autocross Super Street Build